• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wow, teenagers once looked significantly younger

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Banned
Watching an old episode of Clarissa. She is, at the very least, 16 years old and good lord she and Sam both look incredibly young. Basically what I think of 14 year olds looking like now.

Dennis

Banned
All those hormones we pump into the enviroment/food. And probably quicker puberty because of extremely calorie/fat rich diet.

pestul

Strange, I see it as the exact opposite. Working at a long term care facility we get a new batch of student nurses every fall. I usually think they look about 14-15yrld old, rather than the 18-19yrs they are.

nubbe

And the breasts are growing.

9rv14Mi.jpg

JohnDoe

Banned
I've seen pictures of teens in the 60s who look way older than teens from our generation and vice versa. I think with women it has a lot to do with the more widespread use of makeup nowadays.

JohnDoe

Banned
All those hormones we pump into the enviroment/food. And probably quicker puberty because of extremely calorie/fat rich diet.
Does anyone have some sort of study that backs this theory up properly? I've always been open to the possibility but every documentary/site about this that I've been linked to was some conspiracy nut crap with zero evidence to back it up :I
One literally suggested that the chemicals of our enviroment make men more feminine and that the guvamint is trying to destroy the male sex by polluting our enviroment with those chemicals on purpose.

After graduating high school, I am still surprised that I never saw a single teenager look as old as the teenagers on most television programs.

big_z

I think they look older now too. Ass and titties hanging out, makeup layered on thick, fake hair and tanning abuse leaves them with faces that have more creases than my scrotum on a cold day.

jgmo870

Banned
After graduating high school, I am still surprised that I never saw a single teenager look as old as the teenagers on most television programs.

That's because they get people in their 20s to play teens. TV's really screwed up peoples' perception of what a 16 year-old actually looks like.

JohnDoe

Banned
I think they look way older now. Ass and titties hanging out, makeup layered on thick, fake hair and tanning abuse leaves them with faces that have more creases than my scrotum on a cold day.
:lol
Not all of them though.
And tanning sucks ass, why are people obsessed with it? I'm all about them alabaster chicks aww yiss.

Bodacious

Banned
Back when that show was current, you watched it and saw Clarissa and pals as roughly equal to yourself in age, and perceived yourselves as adult. Now that you are an actual adult, you can see that a 16 year old is still a child. This effect continues as you age, but with diminishing returns. I'm 46 years old now, and anyone under 25 looks like a little brat to me.

ToxicAdam

I miss the Dawson's Creek/90210 era where 27-30 year olds were playing as 17 and 18 yr olds. Which works for a couple seasons, then by season 4 it all looks ridiculous.

Younger people are looking older and older people are looking younger. Plastic surgery, how you dress, and makeup all can make a huge difference.

D.Lo

I miss the Dawson's Creek/90210 era where 27-30 year olds were playing as 17 and 18 yr olds. Which works for a couple seasons, then by season 4 it all looks ridiculous.
The OC as funny, because Mischa Barton was actually 16, but the boyfriend guy Ryan was like 27, I saw him on some show the other day and he looks soooooooo old now.

FStop7

Banned

Gabrielle Carteris was like 68 when she played a high schooler in Beverly Hills 90210

AColdDay

The change in Steve Holt from Arrested Development has shown me how quickly the gift of teenage beauty can leave you. He went from looking like a 16 year old kid to a 50 year old man in the span between cancellations.

STEVE HOLT!

According to wikipeeds, MJH was born in '76, so she was a teenager during Clarissa ('91-'94) and in her twenties for Sabrina ('96-'03).

Ten years later, she's in her thirties and trying to get kickstarters off the ground by offering to allow a select few lucky souls to be BFF's on Twitter for a year.

BowieZ

Banned
The change in Steve Holt from Arrested Development has shown me how quickly the gift of teenage beauty can leave you. He went from looking like a 16 year old kid to a 50 year old man in the span between cancellations.

STEVE HOLT!
That was a fake receding hairline.

He still looks pretty okay for his age (29)

I was a groomsman in a wedding last month, and the bridesmaid I was partnered up with looked like she was at least 18... turns out she was actually 14. Shit is crazy.

Mumei

I looked like a twelve year old when I was 16/17. I didn't realize this at the time, mind you, but looking at pictures now is unnerving.

Zoe

Don't use TV shows as your guide. It's common for adults to play teenagers to get around the child labor laws.

Just depends on the generation or group I suppose. When leaving Jr. High I noticed the people coming in looked significantly younger than the vast majority of us leaving had. It was kind of odd.

Perhaps we were an odd bunch though, the most beautiful person I've seen to this day remains one of my 15 year old classmates who looked to be in her 20s.

Divius

Oh wow, I was totally fooled by that!

Why did they do that to him? I thought it was a totally different actor at first!
"Oh god, is that what is going to happen to my hairline?" He asks, in a previous season after finding out Gob is his father.

dewdrop

Banned

tinfoil-hat.jpg

probably fashion. they look young because they're wearing what you wore/saw people wear when you were/felt way younger.

I've been described as a 14 year old Neil Patrick Harris on Gaf and I'm 20 next week.. If we're looking older then I think I missed the train.

Pau

I think people have a very skewed sense of what teenagers actually look like.

Then again, when I was a senior in high school, the middle schoolers (it was a 6th - 12th grade school) thought I was younger than them. :/

I maintain that Napoleon Dymanite contains the most realistic portrayal of high schoolers and high school culture that I've ever seen in a movie. Pretty sure those people were actual teenagers(maybe minus Napoleon himself, not sure how old he was there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom