• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2014 Previews

rvy

Banned
Embargo is up, kiddies. Enjoy yourselves.

Eurogamer:

PES 2014 preview: Why I'll be making the switch back this year

Allow me to preface my brief playthrough experience of PES 2014 with an admission. I'm a FIFA guy. Like (almost) everyone else, I jumped ship in the late noughties and - despite still playing with PES controls - have barely looked back. The apparent reinvention of the PES series over the last few years piqued my interest of course, but nothing more than that. FIFA's been fine, just fine - even excellent at times - and the licences, online play and sheer glut of gameplay options means I've rarely looked back.

Within 30 seconds of playing PES 2014 I knew, fairly instinctively, that this is the year that my allegiances switch back again.

So, feel free to take with a pinch of salt the opinion of someone that works in an industry where contrariansim is heavily incentivised, but at this admittedly early stage PES looks to be, aside from all the whistles and baubles, a purer, more refined expression of the sport, at its simplest, than its moneyed rival. We've become adept at describing what's good about football games each year - perhaps it's about time we remembered what made them fun in the first place.

IGN UK:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014's Fox in the Box

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 marks something of a soft reboot for the long-running football series. With an impressive new engine in tow – Konami’s feted Fox Engine no less – and a strong localisation team now installed at Konami’s European office, it’s clear that PES 2014 is doing its best to move the series forward, to innovate and impress audiences old and new. And while it’s still unclear about how some of its more ambitious features will actually work – we’ll come to those later – it’s definitely worth keeping an eye on during the pre-season.

Let’s start off by being quite superficial. PES 2014 looks fantastic, and is a significant improvement on previous instalments. The stadium I played in were highly-detailed, atmospheric, and the crowd didn’t feel like an afterthought – they display custom banners and signs, and will slowly filter to the car park if the home team takes a beating.

But by far the most eye-catching aspect of PES 2014 is the players. The benefits of the new Fox Engine are evident and very, very impressive. Skin textures look incredible – in replays and post-goal celebrations, you can see pores, veins bulging beneath the skin, and sweat dripping from the brows of your more industrious players. And the likenesses of marquee players such as Balotelli, Ozil, and Schweinsteiger are genuinely uncanny. The preview build I spent time with was limited to Bayern Munich, Santos, and the German and Italian national teams, so I'm unsure how many players will have this level of detail.

During a game, when the camera pulls out to the default television angle, much of this detail is inevitably obscured, but during goal celebrations and action-replays you’ll marvel at its high-level realism, from the improved grass texture to the way fabric billows when players run. It’s not quite next-gen, but it’s arguably the best-looking football game the current generation of consoles has produced so far.

If you're coming to PES 2014, after a few years away, you'll find it challenging and reward, visually impressive, and full of new ideas. Konami has rested upon those laurels of years ago, it's gone back to the drawing board and found returned with something very promising.

Videogamer:

PES 2014 Hands-On: Another Step Towards FIFA

There's a great football game in here - one where you have to play to your team's strengths rather than charging up the field, and there's still no better goal-scoring feeling than in PES. Let's hope Konami tweak it before release.

Juicy Bob

...and there's still no better goal-scoring feeling than in PES
Isn't that the truth.

Sounds good so far. I'm a long time PES enthusiast even though I'm not really big on football. Last game I bought was PES 2011 and really enjoyed it. Might dip back into the series again this year, going from these impressions...

rvy

Banned
Waiting on OfficialPES to release the new screens already, all we've got is this:

BQgALlwCEAI81in.jpg:large

BQgP2eoCEAAajHQ.jpg:large

PES2014_DPS_S_o_Paulo_Crici_ma.jpg.jpg

Before you ask, yes that is a GK taking a free-kick.

It's about time this series returned to its peak. I got bored with FIFA very easily, EA has never bettered or captured the gameplay and player individuality of the PES PS2 in my opinion.

Jack cw

It's about time this series returned to its peak. I got bored with FIFA very easily, EA has never bettered or captured the gameplay and player individuality of the PES PS2 in my opinion.

This is so true. Fifa is fun to play but its very much arcady... PES on the other hand represents football better but was plagued with its PS2 origin. Those previews are pretty nice and the engine looks fantastic for current gen.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I'm not a fan of soccer but there is something about PES that I enjoy. Haven't bought one since the og Xbox though.

Fingers crossed this put Konami back on the scoreboard.

Giggzy

Call me shallow, but I just can't get into PES when they have no license for the majority of the teams. It's about the entire presentation for me, and fifa trumps it. I hope the gameplay is as good as the previews state as it will hopefully push the fifa developers to up their game.

Does EA hold the licenses indefinitely? Ever a chance PES will get it in the future?

PaulLFC

Call me shallow, but I just can't get into PES when they have no license for the majority of the teams. It's about the entire presentation for me, and fifa trumps it. I hope the gameplay is as good as the previews state as it will hopefully push the fifa developers to up their game.

Does EA hold the licenses indefinitely? Ever a chance PES will get it in the future?
PES is getting more and more licences, but there's no chance of the Premier League licence as EA wanted it exclusive like the NFL with Madden.

This can be fixed in about 10 minutes though by downloading an option file which will give you all the correct teams, kits, etc.

Jack cw

You could easily download an option file for PES and have most leagues ans players licenced :)
EA doesnt hold them indefinitely but obviously pay the biggest money. Most of the licences like EPL or Bundesliga are exclusive. So no chance for Konami.

PES community websites offer full team data files which you can do via USB , all the kits and so on. Been doing it on PS3 for years.

Giggzy

PES community websites offer full team data files which you can do via USB , all the kits and so on. Been doing it on PS3 for years.

Oh, nice. I didn't know it was possible to install data files on consoles. That definitely will help sway me on next year's iteration. I'm stuck with fifa as my only choice for ps4 =(

rvy

Banned
BQhc-hiCcAAnxS2.jpg:large

Concept for the menu, still things to add but looks very nice. If I can get hints correctly, I'm going to assume the menu colors, crest and player will change depending on what team you choose as a supporter, sort of like FIFA.

Top Bottom