• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Damsel in Distress: Part 3 - Tropes vs Women in Video Games - Yes, There Are Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Video is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjImnqH_KwM

http://www.feministfrequency.com/2013/08/damsel-in-distress-part-3-tropes-vs-women/

This is the third installment in our three part mini-series exploring the Damsel in Distress trope in video games. In this episode we examine the rare Dude in Distress role reversal and then take a look at the use of "ironic sexism" in retro inspired indie and mobile games. We conclude with an investigation of some titles that attempt to subvert or deconstruct the traditional damsel narrative.

48 TOTAL GAMES REFERENCED IN THIS EPISODE
Those with Spoilers are marked with an asterisk (*)

Super Princess Peach (2006)
Balloon Kid (1990)
Kya: Dark Lineage (2003)
Primal (2003)
* Beyond Good & Evil (2003)
Aquaria (2007)
Spelunky (2012)
Donkey King: Pauline Edition (2013)
Wind Waker: Gender Pronoun Mod (2012)
Zelda Starring Zelda (2013)
Gish (2004)
* Castle Crashers (2008)
* Eversion (2008)
Machinarium (2009)
Super Meat Boy (2010)
Frobot (2010)
I Must Run (2010)
Flying Hamster (2010)
Rochard (2011)
Sideway: New York (2011)
Zack Zero (2012)
Bean’s Quest (2012)
Hotline Miami (2012)
Labyrinth Legends (2012)
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves (2013)
Gunman Clive (2013)
DLC Quest (2013)
The Other Brothers (2013)
Fist Puncher (2013)
Fightback (2013)
Tiny Thief (2013)
Knightmare Tower (2013)
Guacamelee (2013)
Adventures of Lolo (1989)
Cloudberry Kingdom (2013)
Hoard (2010)
Dokuro (2012)
Fat Princess (2009)
Fez (2012)
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (2011)
Where is my Heart? (2011)
Rayman Origins (2011)
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (2011)
* Earthworm Jim (1994)
* The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
* Braid (2008)
Thomas Was Alone (2012)
Donkey Kong (1981)

Thread for Episode 1
Thread for Episode 2

I didn't like her Castle Crashers and Earthworm Jim examples of pulling out the rug from underneath the player upon completing the game.

It is simply a purposeful slight against the player - meaning that all their time spent/trials overcome were ultimately pointless.

PFD

Did she really need 3 videos on the damsel in distress? Move into another topic/trope already!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wasn't Braid a parable for nuclear physics?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Braid is in this? I wonder what she has to say about this.
According to the video, it's a good way of subverting the trope in question because the damsel tries to actively get away from the protagonist posing a question if rescuing her is a good thing.
One way to interpret Braid I guess.

jay

Cool, I always enjoy these.

There's probably one counter-example that doesn't fit what she says, though, so she is entirely wrong about everything and should remove herself from the public eye and realize sexism was invented by angry feminists who want only to ruin mens' lives because they have issues with their fathers.

jett

D-Member
I can't believe she made a third one about the same trope. She'll be releasing these videos for years. Speaking of which, why exactly does it take her so long to release these things?

This video was really drawn out, it can simply be summarized with "Enough with the tired trope with damsels in distress, if you make a game using that plot device, don't make the damsel an object that does nothing".

And that game idea she has, why not, if it was fun i'd play it. Also, instead of saying "why aren't their games like this?" put some of that stack of cash into, I don't know, making a game with those view points?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This video was really drawn out, it can simply be summarized with "Enough with the tired trope with damsels in distress, if you make a game using that plot device, don't make the damsel an object that does nothing".

And that game idea she has, why not, if it was fun i'd play it. Also, instead of saying "why aren't their games like this?" put some of that stack of cash into, I don't know, making a with those view points?

They already made AC3: Libera--- oh you said fun.
Carry on.

I dont get how she throws Super Meat Boy in that. In the IndieGame Movie EdmundMcMillen even explains why they use the old "trope" for this game and goes into detail, that Meatboy is the meat and Bandagegirl is what makes him complete.
They also had other ideas, but to them that fittet the best IIRC.

And why she even mentions that if you feed the Fat Princess so she will weigh 300tons she will get less feminine. I mean, of course obese women dont really appear feminine at all (to me)...

eorl

Banned
Has she ever discussed current gen games? From what I've glanced her arguments seem to all be based on 80s/90s games?

K.Sabot

I can't believe she made a third one about the same trope. She'll be releasing these videos for years. Speaking of which, why exactly does it take her so long to release these things?

She's gotta find the youtube videos to use as footage. Zing.

I can't wait until she gets to the later videos, where something of actual merit may come.

I liked it, pretty interesting. Haven't watched one since the original I think. Princess Peach mood swing stuff is pretty goofy, didn't know about that!

EDIT: I disagree with her on Spelunky though, I appreciated Spelunky's rescue-choice-thing.

Tnetennba

For the most part I liked it. I'm more interested in a new trope after three on this topic, but it did feel necessary to cover the amount of material on this one.

Happy to see Beyond Good & Evil get a nod of approval. I did wonder what was going to be said when I saw the name listed in the description.

At around 5:30 she lost me.

Spelunky is a problem because it doesn't use male stereotypes?

You don't solve a problematic trope or device by simply dragging a wider variety of people/dogs into it.

Has she ever discussed current gen games? From what I've glanced her arguments seem to all be based on 80s/90s games?

This episode has a whole section dedicated to indie games from recent years. The last episode also had a decent emphasis on more modern titles.

LordJim

I dont get how she throws Super Meat Boy in that. In the IndieGame Movie EdmundMcMillen even explains why they use the old "trope" for this game and goes into detail, that Meatboy is the meat and Bandagegirl is what makes him complete.

And why she even mentions that if you feed the Fat Princess so she will weigh 300tons she will get less feminine. I mean, of course obese women dont really appear feminine at all (to me)...

That would require extra research

SMgamer83

Damsel in distress is a problem...but you can't swap it because it hasn't been swapped much before. WTF kind of logic is this??

Nothing there contradicts her issues with using those tropes.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I liked it, pretty interesting. Haven't watched one since the original I think. Princess Peach mood swing stuff is pretty goofy, didn't know about that!
Oh, SPP. The ending is pure gold.
So Peach salvages this artefact, called the Vibe Scepter, right? And the narration follows:
The Vibe Scepter has strange and mysterious powers, that's for sure. One thing about that scepter: no one knows how created it or why but somewhere, someone might be using it right now. What? Your dad got mad at you the other day, you say? Your mom's been laughing happily a lot? Maybe... Just maybe... The Vibe Scepter is hidden away in your house somewhere...

Nothing there contradicts her issues with using those tropes.

Sure, but if you already have a series, talk about this Game and have an official stance on why the developers used this trope, she could at least say like 10 seconds about it. I mean she says she wanna analyze these tropes at the beginning of the video, but right now she just lines up games without any big analyzing happening besides stating her opinion.

I OMG'd a few times at the Spelunky thing.

First, that there is actually an option to change the "damsel" to a male or a dog which is a hilarious cosmetic change but is obviously something done to pander to critics such as Anita. That is completely ridiculous in and of itself.

Then Anita breaks it down and says "THIS" (pointing to the female skinned damsel) is a problem while "THIS" (points to the male skinned damsel) is not. The female damsel being a problem because it reinforces negative stereotypes about women while the male one doesn't reinforce any negative stereotypes about men. I mean seriously, a developer bends over backwards trying to please this current wave of critics who are blaming them for making sexist games and they still can't get a break.

Then she goes into another diatribe giving props to character swapped ROM hacks where Zelda is trying to rescue Link, whatever that girl's name is in Donkey Kong is trying to rescue Mario and so on.

In the Legend of Zelda, Link is a nobody, while Zelda is the Princess of fucking Hyrule. First of all, why would Ganon go to the trouble of invading Hyrule to kidnap some random kid? Ganon's mission is to acquire the Triforce. Link doesn't have any pieces of it. He's not exactly a high value hostage worth invading a kingdom for.

For the sake of argument however, let's say Ganon did kidnap Link for some reason. The Princess doesn't know him, so why would she be personally invested in his safety to the point of actually going on a solo mission to save him without using the army at her disposal? Hacking The Legend Of Zelda to make Zelda the protag and Link the hostage makes absolutely no sense, but it gets praise from Anita.

She then says "Ultimately, we need to think beyond the cliché altogether." So no more kidnapping allowed in games from now on.

-PXG-

In case people didn't see this from yesterday...

Some what related:

Deified Data said:
Call it the Chell Effect:

Portal_Chell.png

The phenomenon which sees otherwise rational gaming enthusiasts demanding asexual depictions of women in games as an alternative to more sexualized depictions, totally oblivious to the notion that what they demand is every bit as sexist as the alternative.

The first step to throwing off the shackles of sexism in the gaming community is to stop focusing so much on appearance and focus more on character. It's my belief that a female character could run around totally nude and flaunt her sexuality flagrantly and still be an interesting character with depth so long as she's written that way. Her appearance isn't what's holding her back - it's the mindset of the men (probably) writing her.

Now, can appearance lend itself to having that negative mindset? Absolutely. Seeing sexualized caricatures of women can hammer home the belief that women are meant to be sexual objects. But the depiction is not the source. That rests in family, community, culture, what have you - videogames are the last place people should expect to receive accurate depictions of women (or anyone, for that matter) from, but it is what it is.

I think we can all agree that women need and deserve more varied representation in gaming - they shouldn't all be sexual objects or chaste, asexual Nice Guy fantasies of what they presume an empowered woman should look like.

Excellent post and spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom