• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toriyama wants Lightning Returns' open world to beat Skyrim

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, it's good to aim high.

GamingBolt said:
Ignored amid all the news of Lightning going from a C-cup to a D-cup in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (don’t ask), director Motomu Toriyama and “wilderness lead planner” Yui Umeda talked about how the game was meant to “beat Skyrim” (or “Sukairimu” as it’s pronounced in Japan) in their interview with Famitsu.

Seriously.

Umeda stated that, “The wilderness is designed with a natural open world style of play in mind. Toriyama’s first instruction was ‘beat Skyrim!’ That may be a tall order with the resources on hand, but as this is FF we decided it might be best to approach it by letting you run about on a chocobo. Also, although there is lots of freedom in the wilderness, there is only one goal but with many paths to accomplishing it.”

Source: http://gamingbolt.com/square-enix-wants-lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiii-to-beat-skyrim

DR2K

Banned
So kind of game is LR? They've released 10 trailers and I still have no idea what it's about.

damn, this game has it all now: dem tig ol biddies, and a huge skyrim-esque world. the ultimate FINAL FANTASY EXPERIENCE
sarcasm

Toxi

Banned
Does that mean cringe-worthy voice-acting and boring dungeons that all look the same?

Gotta get that Skyrim audience.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
First it was Call of Duty... now it's Skyrim... how about going back to creating games that people looked to for ideas instead of what you are now, SE?

So after doing a bad rip-off of a Chrono game they decided to do Majora's Mask x Skyrim with rapid-fire cosplay?

I suppose there's something to be said for trying something different.

Meia

Anyone remember when FF used to be about turn based RPGs with good stories? Yeah, neither do I anymore.

Keep hitting those bullet points guys, you'll make a serviceable game with that character sooner or later!

Chojin

Wanting and doing (wanchingu ando duingu as it's pronounced in Japan) are totally seperate (sepaarato yadda yadda...) things.

First it was Call of Duty... now it's Skyrim... how about going back to creating games that people looked to for ideas instead of what you are now, SE?

disagree a but. SE has been way too insular. looking at what works in western games is a nice start.

I have my doubts about implementation, but it's a good start.

Toxi

Banned
So after doing a bad rip-off of a Chrono game they decided to do Majora's Mask x Skyrim with rapid-fire cosplay?

I suppose there's something to be said for trying something different.
The Majora's Mask elements are actually interesting and make me want to play the game, so at least they are doing one thing right. Too bad the plot looks like garbage.

Dovahkiin costume confirmed.

Everything about the production of this game sounds like Resident Evil 6 - Japanese developers trying to give western audiences everything they think they want and failing miserably. I expect this to be almost exactly the same situation.

Is Hiroyuki Ito really doing nothing at SE?

JDSN

Banned
I still remember when their games inspired the direction of a whole genre. It wasn't that long ago.

Ignored amid all the news of Lightning going from a C-cup to a D-cup in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (don’t ask),

clapping-ha-ha-wtf-shocked-laughing-13538573029.gif

Chojin

I still remember when their games inspired the direction of a whole genre. It wasn't that long ago.

There's only so many belts and zippers one can do before a publisher can become creatively bankrupt. :(

It seems like anyone left who's creative at SE is down in a dungeon somewhere not being allowed to do anything.

Pyrrhus

Why hasn't Toriyama been fired? and trying to be like Skyrim's not good.

I expect it's a tin-eared attempt to pander to the West and assure us it's going to be right up our alley. The fact that Skyrim is pretty much antithetical to everything FF was and is is probably lost on him.

Go_Ly_Dow

And this is why Final Fantasy is currently a mess with no focus.

How about trying to match the FF games of old which had universal love from the fans?

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Yea that's not going to happen and even if it did I'd bet anything the world would feel dead and empty much like Lightning herself.

Abominuz

Banned
FFXIII : Lighting in love
SE new take on FF, by making it a dating sim.
Ever wanted to hook up with Snow or even Hope ? Now is your chance !

Coxy

I AM HIP WITH THE POPULARING AMERICAGAME KIDS

Every statement this guy makes sways between fundamentally depressing me as a game designer and as a human being :(

Manu

Come on guys, this is Toriyama's game and he can do whatever he wants. It's his little waifu sidegame. Let him go crazy. It's not like most of you were going to buy it anyway.

Let him do his own thing, as long as XV and XVI are good I don't care. I will be buying this game tho, looks interesting to me.

Pyrrhus

I AM HIP WITH THE POPULARING AMERICAGAME KIDS

Every statement this guy makes sways between fundamentally depressing me as a game designer and as a human being :(

Kids at home, take note. Toriyama is what happens when you consume a diet of nothing but video games and anime for forty some years. A man of his age should have a lot more to say about everything in his work.

Saiyan-Rox

maybe they should stop looking at other games and start making proper RPGs? altho if they really want inspiration they should go look at the tales series

Why do these websites always insist on unnecessarily telling us how English words or nouns are pronounced in English?

Seriously, who gives a shit if it's pronounced "sukairimu"??

Also, FFs1-9 all had open worlds. But no, instead of harkening back to their heritage, they had to ape the big name Western RPG instead.

Kohler was right. Final Fantasy is dead.

Toxi

Banned
Toriyama’s first instruction was ‘beat Skyrim!’ That may be a tall order with the resources on hand, but as this is FF we decided it might be best to approach it by letting you run about on a chocobo.
I'm surprised people missed this amazing nugget.

Top Bottom