• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESRB unveils new logo designs

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Made to be easier to read on small screens like phones. A fuller explanation is available at the link.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/2/458...igital-mobile-future-patricia-vance-interview

esrb-rating-icons-oldv4x2z.jpg

Aeana

I'm glad they're all in a consistent typeface now. The difference always kinda bugged me.
But the difference in weights in the rating names still bugs me.

Bryan1321

Banned
Polygon said:
So what difference will these barely perceptible changes make for the ESRB?

"The goal is really to ensure that our symbols are displaying as clearly and legibly as possible in the increasing variety of environments that they're being displayed [in], including online and [on] mobile devices," said Patricia Vance, president of the ESRB,

The quick explanation, seems ok to retire the "content rated by".

I never understood the US' system for rating games. Why have 17 and 18? When is tee? 13 I presume. And why have Everyone and Everyone 10+ which could easily be mistaken for each other while differing largely in content.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
All they did was add the registered trademark logo in there. Am I missing something, or is this a Wario64-style troll post?

Wait...they're exactly the same except more white along the top and the "Registered" symbol has been moved and "Content Rated By" was taken out.

I paid good money for this?!?!?

CTLance

Someone got paid for this. Amazing. Oh well, I have no font knowledge and only spot kerning errors and other "trivial" stuff when I'm told to look for it. So maybe there's some benefit to this.

Still, if it were me, I'd have inverted the color scheme of the AO badge, to better differentiate it from the rest.

This seems pretty pointless, really. If it wants to be clearer it needs an overhaul more than what amounts to almost no change.

Why does EC exist when E exists? What's the point of M when AO basically covers it? There are games suitable for a 17yr old only? Either one could be ditched without losing much from the system.

Clicking this thread, I was expecting something more extreme, with like explosions or something. I'm not sure why. But it would have been awesome.

But these looks alright, they get the job done.

antitrop

The ESRB rating system is very good. It makes the MPAA look like a bunch of... I can't even think of a word that describes how I feel about them without being bannable. The American film industry needs to completely redo its rating systems.

Yawnier

Banned
Doesn't look all that different aside from removing those three words at the bottom and switching the words at the top from white to black. Bit pointless like somebody else said IMO.

Top Bottom