• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Below (XBO) Game Informer details

luffeN

As requested by Gbraga

Roguelike key traits: randomly generated stages, permadeath, turn-based combat (although Below is action-based)

About the start in 2009:"Creative director Kris Piotrowski dates the birth of the project in 2009, well before Sword & Sorcery." So actual coding might not have started until after S&S.

! Trailer here !

! Music here !

A wanderer with a sword drifting ashore with a boat enters a huge cave. What lies below?

• Mysterious and foreboding atmosphere
  • Project began sometime in 2009
  • Players control a character, currently named The Wanderer, who is susceptible to perma-death
  • Playing an extremely capable but fragile character "one mistake away from death"
  • Not a game about a main character but a lot of characters (think Zombi U for example)
  • Outside of several key rooms, most of the environments are randomly generated
  • When a character dies, you don't go back to square one. Whatever you have discovered etc. thus far will stay
  • Real-time action approach, but not comparable to Diablo or Torchlight: "For players to succeed, they must evaluate the enemy's capabilities, the surrounding environments, and the best moves and attacks provided by their currently equipped gear. The soul of roguelike battle planning and strategy is still there; you just have to do it on the fly."
  • You are going to die because you made a mistake and not because the game is unfair. Not many weapons and moves, so you have to think carefully how to use them.
  • 3 inventory slots: "Generally, the left hand is for defense items like shields, the right carries the primary offensive weapon like a sword and your back holds a large weapon or special item."
  • Loadouts: E.g. Sword, shield, bow and arrow. More speed but less defense: daggers in both hands. Slower but more damage: Axe and hammers
  • Not a loot grab, weapon choice is substantial
  • Nontraditional multiplayer: If you watch the trailer closely, you can see more than one wanderer. You don't come together and start questing. Some parts are only influenced by your own progress, while others happen depending on the progress all the players make. "You just play the game and once in a while multiplayer things happen. You don't have to worry about it. You just go in and start playing. You're exploring and all of a sudden you might find yourself not quite alone in the depths."
  • Onscreen messaging, tutorial etc. kept to a bare minimum

Screenshots are in the mag, but I cannot post them obviously. Game is a timed Xbox One exclusive. Release: TBA

Game by Capybara Games

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is the first I'm hearing of the game.

Need to see it to get a full picture of what they're describing, but I'm intrigued. Cosigning Ghazi on the desire for a riskier, harder mode.

Amir0x

Banned
Sounds like a mix of Journey and a Roguelike

to which I say

Fuck yeah

enzo_gt said:
Need to see it to get a full picture of what they're describing, but I'm intrigued. Cosigning Ghazi on the desire for a riskier, harder mode.

Link to trailer

*swoon* @ atmospheric moody music

TriGen

This is the first I'm hearing of the game.

it was shown at Microsoft's E3 press conference if you want to give it a little look. It had about a 30 second trailer.

Sounds awesome. The multiplayer part seems interesting. I love how a lot of games are blending SP/MP nowadays.

Here's a teaser from two days ago that basically shows off the music (no actual gameplay, just the character idling). It's gorgeous. Going by the name, maybe this is also the pause screen or something?

OP, maybe add this to the first post as well? More people need to hear this awesome music!

http://vimeo.com/71975194

Sound really good but... Xbone? I'll pass, sorry Remedy.

This isn't Remedy... You're thinking of Quantum Break. Below is by Capybara (an indie dev).

Vire

I loved Sword & Sworcery, and this looks cool. But I'm having trouble even seeing what's going on.

I wish everything wasn't so tiny.

Amir0x

Banned
I loved Sword & Sworcery, and this looks cool. But I'm having trouble even seeing what's going on.

I wish everything wasn't so tiny.

I like the tone it sets, though. Everything is distant, stark, cold even. It's very foreboding.

Skeff

reading that i kinda got a dark souls vibe, not sure why, definitely sound interesting.

I don't think it's for me but good to seem some gaming variety.

.Anema

Sounds awesome. The multiplayer part seems interesting. I love how a lot of games are blending SP/MP nowadays.

Here's a teaser from two days ago that basically shows off the music (no actual gameplay, just the character idling). It's gorgeous. Going by the name, maybe this is also the pause screen or something?

OP, maybe add this to the first post as well? More people need to hear this awesome music!

This isn't Remedy... You're thinking of Quantum Break. Below is by Capybara (an indie dev).

You're right, edited!

Aw man that was awesome.

There was also a Horizon Indie Event trailer that was slighty extended.
Has a really cool moment at the end.
http://vimeo.com/68314832

Vire

I like the tone it sets, though. Everything is distant, stark, cold even. It's very foreboding.

I get what they are going for, I really do. Being small in a large foreboding world sets a very distinct tone, but I think it's taken to an almost ridiculous extreme.

I just can't really see myself sitting 5-6 feet away from the TV on my couch playing it.

We're going with XBO now? Okay.
reminds me of..

McD_CBO_copyrightBurgerBusiness.com1_-e1350664318187.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I get what they are going for, I really do. Being small in a large foreboding world sets a very distinct tone, but I think it's taken to an almost ridiculous extreme.

I just can't really see myself sitting 5-6 feet away from the TV on my couch playing it.

Honestly it seems smaller than it is, if you scale it up to 720p/1080p and fullscreen it, the characters and stuff have enough distinction from the environments. It works, I think. Character sort of looks like a garden gnome or some shit :p

Vire

Honestly it seems smaller than it is, if you scale it up to 720p/1080p and fullscreen it, the characters and stuff have enough distinction from the environments. It works, I think. Character sort of looks like a garden gnome or some shit :p

Yeah, maybe if I saw it in person I would change my mind about it. Hard to say, but I don't have especially great eyesight as it is. :(

Anywho glad to see this:

Capy said:
Like many games on stage at E3, Below will be available on the Xbox One first. Then, after a period of time, CAPY can bring it elsewhere. It’s always been this way.

Every time I see or read more about Below, I'm getting more psyched about it. Capy are my favorite indie studio and I am so stoked for it. Bring it on Capy! (And the release date for Super Time Force plz)

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, maybe if I saw it in person I would change my mind about it. Hard to say, but I don't have especially great eyesight as it is. :(

Ah, that makes sense. Definitely understandable someone with poor eyesight make take some hesitation toward this art style. It definitely is not an accommodating art style for that group, I'd agree.

I definitely think it works, but I should hope there will be a 'eye sight mode' that perhaps zooms in closer to the main character for such individuals.

Vire

Ah, that makes sense. Definitely understandable someone with poor eyesight make take some hesitation toward this art style. It definitely is not an accommodating art style for that group, I'd agree.

I definitely think it works, but I should hope there will be a 'eye sight mode' that perhaps zooms in closer to the main character for such individuals.

I will undoubtedly support Capy either-way, love their games.

TGC, Simogo, and Capy are amongst my favorites when it comes to indie developers.

I thought this was a joke. That looks absolutely terrible. It looks like a flash game or something. How is this even using next gen hardware? Unless I watched the wrong trailer.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I thought this was a joke. That looks absolutely terrible. It looks like a flash game or something. How is this even using next gen hardware? Unless I watched the wrong trailer.

I think that's just the art style. And I think it's an indie studio. Its not gonna be the next Crysis or anything in terms of graphical fidelity

I think that's just the art style. And I think it's an indie studio. Its not gonna be the next Crysis or anything in terms of graphical fidelity

Fair enough if it's a cheap indie game. Wonder why it's for xbox one over an xbla release. I'm not seeing anything that is really making use of the new hardware.

Kinyou

I hope people here bought the Jim Guthrie Humble Bundle from a few weeks ago. His music is fantastic.

Fair enough if it's a cheap indie game. Wonder why it's for xbox one over an xbla release. I'm not seeing anything that is really making use of the new hardware.
I think it's simply to push hardware. So far is Transistor also only announced for the PS4 while it seems totally possible on the PS3

Man been a long time since I've seen the classic "looks like a flash game"

Game looks and sounds fucking amazing, now that was the right reply.

Was this game suppose to use Kinect in some way? Pick up room noise or something like that?

Muzy72

Banned
This and PvZ: Garden Warfare are the only games I want for any next gen console atm. Yes, I have horrible taste :p

Amir0x

Banned

you're going to be really disappointed if you think the average indie game is going to push Xbox One or Ps4 hardware. A new generation is not going to change the inherent limitations of indie game budgets.

Part of the appeal for these services is the common knowledge that these games don't need to compete with big AAA publishers/developers on every category including spending $40 million on visual splendor.

But frankly, a game with this artistic style is more visually appealing to me than, say, Halo or Killzone.

Vire

you're going to be really disappointed if you think the average indie game is going to push Xbox One or Ps4 hardware. A new generation is not going to change the inherent limitations of indie game budgets.

Part of the appeal for these services is the common knowledge that these games don't need to compete with big AAA publishers/developers on every category including spending $40 million on visual splendor.

But frankly, a game with this artistic style is more visually appealing to me than, say, Halo or Killzone.

One thing I think you will see is a resolution increase.

Bastion runs at native 720p on 360 and Transistor will run at native 1080p.

Also, I'd be miserable if all indie games looked like Killzone. I'll take artistic vision over 3D assets and explosions anyday.

Amir0x

Banned
Only timed exclusive? Wasn't this published by Microsoft?

Yes. It was necessarily published by Microsoft since up until recently there was no self-publishing though, heh.

Apparently this arrangement only works for 6 months or a year as it relates to Below, so after that it can come to PS4. I was a little surprised at this too, given what we've heard about the game. But it's good, the more people that play it the better for Capy and gamers.

One thing I think you will see is a resolution increase.

Bastion runs at native 720p on 360 and Transistor will run at native 1080p.

Also, I'd be miserable if all indie games looked like Killzone. I'll take artistic vision over 3D assets and explosions anyday.

Well yeah, 1080p bump in resolution is the obvious way indies can increase the visual fidelity for their titles. But I mean overall, in terms of scale, effects used, the average indie game on these platforms are still going to look, on average, like a more budget title or a PS360 gen title. Just with a better resolution and, maybe, framerate

Top Bottom