• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brian Fargo (Wasteland 2/Torment) praises Microsoft's new indie efforts

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The rest of the article is about their business goals and marketing.

alistdaily said:

The console market is something that Fargo plans to think about after Wasteland II has shipped. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo are all saying that indies are more important to them, but the details still haven't been fully revealed. “It's been happening, and I've heard from Microsoft,” Fargo said. He recalls how it used to be when dealing with Microsoft. “I used to want to publish directly on the Xbox, and it was 'OK, how many retail SKUs are you going to put out?' I always felt there was there this huge disconnect – why do I have to put products on a retail shelf in order to be on XBLA?”

Now the situation is completely different. “You're hearing Microsoft reaching out, they're saying 'Hey, we want you on the machine,' they're making the calls,” Fargo said. “You can use the hardware as a development kit, making it more accessible, because indies can't afford to buy [development kits]. It used to be that if you shipped on Sony first you could never be on the Xbox. Now they're like 'Well, we're flexible, maybe there's features...' There's a different dialog there.

“They've come full circle in a matter of ninety days on every part of it, including the ability to be on the platform at all. Sony was already there. They go one step further with their Dev Pub fund, where they actually give developers money upon delivery of a game. You're actually hearing executives at both those companies – and Nintendo, I should say – talk about why indies are important. Someone called it the Cambrian explosion of creativity, I love that phrase.”

Source: http://www.thealistdaily.com/news/the-indie-revolution/

Great news! Microsoft still has a lot to prove in this area, but if their effort is genuine then it seems all of the Big Three have their policies straight regarding indie games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm so glad they fixed this. It was going to make a massive dent in their games library just because of some dumb, outdated policies still in place. They still have a lot of trust to earn from the community but this is a good step forward. The dev kit idea is genius too. I hope others follow suit. It could be a real indie renaissance if all indies can develop directly on retail boxes for multiple platforms.

I didn't know Sony was are giving money to indies to develop on their console. That's really cool. Sorry to go off topic.

Anyways, I'm just glad that indies are getting the love they deserve. The last 6 game I've play: Fez, Limbo, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, bindings of Issac and the Half Life remake. All amazing games, hopefully next gen consoles get then same day as PC.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I didn't know Sony was are giving money to indies to develop on their console. That's really cool. Sorry to go off topic.

Anyways, I'm just glad that indies are getting the love they deserve. The last 6 game I've play: Fez, Limbo, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, bindings of Issac and the Half Life remake. All amazing games, hopefully next gen consoles get then same day as PC.

Sony's pub fund has existed for a few years now. Some great stuff has come out of it.

Top Bottom