• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gizmodo: Xbox One is worse for everyone if Kinect not mandatory

Thanks internet, I guess.
Using Kinect with your Xbox One is no longer mandatory. Yay, right? No. Wrong. Again. This is another dumb subtraction from Microsoft, presented as choice.

It's simple: As a standard-issue, always-on-and-enabled FEATURE of the Xbox One, Kinect was something that had a hugely better chance (not a guarantee, but a good chance) of being developed for in a meaningful way.

But as an optional feature, there's far less incentive for developers to take advantage of everything the new Kinect can do. It's actually a really impressive device, and maybe some of that still comes through. There's a good chance it does, actually. It's just much lower than it would have been otherwise. Instead of mind-bending progress, we'll get slightly more evolved Kinectimals.
But so many people won't, willfully, or simply don't give a shit enough to plug it in, because beyond voice controls, there really aren't many compelling reasons to really use the thing aside from that one time a year your friends come over and dance like idiots and spill wine on your rug.

And you know what, yes, as the layers of the NSA shitshow have been peeled back, the possibility of the NSA compelling Microsoft to give it access to either metadata or outright reams full of data seems more and more viable. That's chilling for a device capable of the fidelity of imaging and sound capturing as the Kinect 2. But shutting down Kinect because of it is anti-technology, anti-future.

Maybe the fears that are being assuaged here outweigh the development boon of mandatory always on. That's perfectly possible. But what's definite is that an optional Kinect is an ignored Kinect, a $100 tax on a device that's doomed to never live up to its full potential. Most of all, it's just a damn shame.

http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-is-worse-for-everyone-if-kinects-not-mand-1113731041

Silky

Banned
I agree to an extent No one's going to want to buy an expensive, underpowered device where you don't HAVE to use the included peripheral.

No one is going to want to buy an expensive, underpowered device with a periphreal that spies on you either, so there's that. :s

Maybe multiple SKUs would've been better. To an extent.

Maedhros

Bullshit.

Gizmodo is trying to convince everyone that XBOX One was perfect since the 180 they did. Lots and lots of people don't care about Kinect, it's only fair to give them the choice of not wanting one.

The fact that it's included in the box makes me think it'll get a lot more support than people are afraid of. The majority of people will surely connect it, if it comes in the box.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Worse for everyone who wants to use the Kinect, sure.

I don't want to use the Kinect, so its not being mandatory is a plus for me.

Every console sold still has one. That really ought to be enough for developers to consider it.

It seems like saying that no one will use voice chat unless the headsets are required to be plugged in.

That article says nothing. Absolutely nothing. It claims it's a shame because the Kinect might not be used to its full potential, how would it have been used in the MANDATORY system screen? Menu selection?

It not being mandatory is not why the Kinect is a useless piece of tat.

Guevara

because beyond voice controls, there really aren't many compelling reasons to really use the thing aside from that one time a year your friends come over and dance like idiots and spill wine on your rug.

So basically: Kinect could do all these great things if it were mandatory but despite 24 million sold and several years on the market it doesn't do anything great which is why no one wants it. And I getting this right?

If Kinect provides and meaningful contribution to the console by way of great games, than I agree.

But if it follows the same line as the first iteration, than it is just an overpriced piece of plastic. It all remains to be seen. This kind of seems like a captain obvious article.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bullshit. almost no one is going to buy a xbox one and leave the kinect unplugged.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like Microsoft came out of the gate with some pretty solid ideas of how it wanted to differentiate itself (a strong online component featuring a family sharing plan, Kinect implementation in most games, etc.), but screwed it all up by forcing everyone to be online all the time. That just opened it up to severe criticism on all fronts, forcing it to recant several of its features, leading to a much less appealing system as a whole.

Just goes to show that the reveal of a system is extremely important.

You could always turn the thing off, from day one, in software. It would be disabled or paused.

The difference now is that you can physically unplug the thing without bricking your xbox.

khaaan

Meh, they have a point but if it still comes in every box (it still comes in every box right?) and a meaningful piece of software is made then I think people will plug it in to check it out. I guess we still have to see how people handle it in their homes. Will people plug it in, check it out and then just unplug it while it sits ontop of their TV? Or will they leave it in its box? If they leave it in their box will people be too lazy to plug it in once a meaningful piece of software comes around?

madmackem

I agree, i posted the same here. It has less a chance now, i hate kinect i really do i dont want it at all and id rather not pay for something i dont want which has now a slight lesser chance of getting something that might change my mind.

Ok serious question: has there been a single game that has implemented Kinect in a ''meaninful way'' outside of your basic Kinect Sports ect titles. I haven't followed that at all since I don't own a 360 and I'm over the motion control phase but if there is one thing Wii U+Wii has shown me it is that having something being mandatory does not work in making it meaninful in your basic normal core games with the exeption of improved aim from Wiimote in a few titles but I remain sceptical that would work with Kinect. Just have it be optional and the ones who like their Kinect games can get them also. I really doubt publishers would do anything worthwhile with it even if they were forced to.

Sean*O

They will blame the lack of the mythical killer app on this, but the fact is, it's included and that's enough. Why don't they cry about not having hard wired controllers required to be plugged in for the system to work while they're at it.

Silky

Banned
Ok serious question: has there been a single game that has implemented Kinect in a ''meaninful way'' outside of your basic Kinect Sports ect titles. I haven't followed that at all since I don't own a 360 and I'm over the motion control phase but if there is one thing Wii U+Wii has shown me it is that having something being mandatory does not work in making it meaninful in your basic normal core games with the exeption of improved aim from Wiimote in a few titles but I remain sceptical that would work with Kinect. Just have it be optional and the ones who like their Kinect games can get them also. I really doubt publishers would do anything worthwhile with it even if they were forced to.

D4, Project Spark, KI, and Ryse. The latter two titles are the only games where Kinect enhances the experience, whereas Project Spark can use kinect as a tool for stuff. As for D4...lord knows what Swery's doing with that thing.

Skeff

whether it is plugged in or not is irrelevant, the devs know every xb1 is sold with a kinect and so theres no difference from a dev pov.

Marvel

could never
I get it but I still have no interest in talking to my TV or waving my arms around so it's not worse for me at all.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
While I don't want a Kinect, I think this is true. If you're gonna go you gotta go all out

model13

Non-mandatory but included in every box is fine. Those who hate Kinect won't be playing the type of games with integral Kinect support anyway.

brandnew

I agree with that logic, but if consumers and devs really wanted to use a Kinect, Microsoft wouldn't have to force it.

LAA

I see the benefits in making kinect mandatory, but for me it mostly doesnt matter.
I've yet to see a good use for kinect and its simply hardware that has no relevance to me gaming wise.
They have every oppurtunity to prove its worth it, but I havent seen it yet.

calder

Lol that Kyle Wagner sure as hell loved him some XBO when it was announced. Every single thing MS has changed since he's hated, and blamed gamers for being too stupid to see how great it originally was.

I disagree with them in that I think most people won't bother to disconnect it. It would be a real problem if, say, Kinect wasn't bundled with every One. But to say that it's destined to not reach its potential because MS has given customers the option to turn it off seems a bit far fetched.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I didn't give a shit about the first Kinect. I give even less of a shit about Kinect 2. Make it mandatory and watch in amazement as I never buy an XB1.

Avallon

I can certainly see this being a bad thing for Kinect development, but I don't think it's a bad thing for the Xbox in general -- it may even be a positive.

If it was as revolutionary and as natural a fit to gaming as they want to blow their horns about than we have nothing to worry about because developers will lead the charge in showing us the amazing applications that will fundamentally change the way we game!

I dont understand this

And you know what, yes, as the layers of the NSA shitshow have been peeled back, the possibility of the NSA compelling Microsoft to give it access to either metadata or outright reams full of data seems more and more viable. That's chilling for a device capable of the fidelity of imaging and sound capturing as the Kinect 2. But shutting down Kinect because of it is anti-technology, anti-future.

so basically they are saying, sure the NSA may be watching you but hey if you dont accept it its anti future? wth? i dont want a government organization of a foreign state to look in my private rooms.

Exile20

I wonder if that is why Sony dropped ps eye pack in. It just couldn't compare to kinect so the best thing would be to go cheaper price.

Seems Kinect might still have some secret features.

Thank you Edward Snowden

I don't trust MS or the NSA. seriously fuck it, shove kinect up ms ass

photo-edward-snowden.jpg

I agree with Gizmodo again.

The enthusiasts/media keeps making demands that subtract from the potential of the machine. Whether it be making online optional or Kinect optional. Forcing it doesn't guarantee success, but making it optional decreases its support and chance of success. So now you're paying for something that has less chance of being supported. Bad situation for everyone.

The Goat

Bullshit.

Gizmodo is trying to convince everyone that XBOX One was perfect since the 180 they did. Lots and lots of people don't care about Kinect, it's only fair to give them the choice of not wanting one.

Splitting the market would be a huge disadvantage. Devs won't have to worry about the divided market, and can really focus on using everything to their advantage. It's probably the one thing Microsoft is doing right with the Xbone.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Many people seriously overestimate the number of people who would buy an Xbox, thereby paying with a substantial part of the money for Kinect, and then not plug it in. Seriously, why would people do that? Even if you have concerns about privacy, just disconnect it after playing. I am sure there will be some switch-adapters from thrid-parties to make that process comfortable. I am no fan of Kinect either but as long as it is bundled with every Xbox, and they (and CBoat) have been very clear that this won't change, Kinect is pretty much still a standing feature.

Top Bottom