• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft has officially ended production of its Kinect hardware

Draugoth

Gold Member
kinect.jpg

Microsoft has announced that it will no longer produce any more Kinect hardware.

A new post on the company’s official mixed reality blog states that it has decided to end production of its latest iteration, the Azure Kinect, and will instead provide the technology to third-party partners so they can sell their own alternatives.

Although the Kinect name is best known among video game players as peripherals for the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One, Microsoft has continued to make a variety of different motion-sensing input devices using the Kinect name.

Its most recent, Azure Kinect, was released in 2019 and was designed mainly for enterprise software and AI use. With a 12 megapixel camera, a time-of-flight depth senser and seven microphones, it’s significantly more advanced than the Xbox One version of Kinect.

spons

Gold Member
It failed, even when its blast processing was used for AI and other purposes. Rest in peace.

Holammer

They sold them until now?
Some indie devs & artists do use 'em as a poor man's motion capture solution. So maybe there was a niche market.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF MILO??? HOW WILL HE FIND NEW FRIENDS NOW???

Krathoon

I collected some Kinect games a while back. I even got the Star War game and the Michael Jackson one.

Oh yeah. The Black Eyed Peas one too.

I got a 360 and a Kinect hooked up. They made it a pain in the ass to hook up the Xbox One version.

I got the adapter that lets you use it closer to the TV.

The technology is kind of janky. It loses your location sometimes.

What is annoying is that you can't hook up the newer Kinect to the 360.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Nice work Microsoft! Now I want to see this next headline:

Microsoft has announced that it will no longer produce any more Series S hardware.

BlackTron

kinnect sold something 30 million units and gave the 360 a second lease on life

They modeled Wii, which was to ensare people in a gimmick. It got people to buy in, but didn't have lasting legs. They would have been better off sticking to what they knew and were doing, which was pumping games on credible hardware with a good controller. Kinect was beginning of the end for Xbox being good.

MrA

Banned
They modeled Wii, which was to ensare people in a gimmick. It got people to buy in, but didn't have lasting legs. They would have been better off sticking to what they knew and were doing, which was pumping games on credible hardware with a good controller. Kinect was beginning of the end for Xbox being good.
that far from constituting the worst failure in gaming.

Top Bottom