• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(_´) Japanese Arcade Shibuya Kaikan Closed (_´)

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
kZcU63Z.jpg

Shibuya Kaikan is a pretty old arcade in Tokyo and probably the best one in Shibuya. It was a pretty great spot, games were cheap, and it had a pretty good variety. Lots of STGs and otoge and fighting games. I'm sure quite a number of NeoGAF members have been.

Some photos

ufx6EWo.jpg

uMCZsOE.jpg

58sSEWw.jpg

fIDIjZX.jpg

Because I was staying with a friend living pretty close to it, Kaikan was the first arcade in Tokyo I went to and first Jubeat / SDVX machines I got to play. Special place in my heart (╯︵╰,)

Was looking forward to going again next month, but I guess not. Farewell!

kZcU63Z.jpg

Because I was staying with a friend living pretty close to it, Kaikan was the first arcade in Tokyo I went to and first Jubeat / SDVX machines I got to play. Special place in my heart (╯︵╰,)

One of the first Arcades for me too. Back in 2006.

Nooooo! I put so many days into that place :(

But that area is hella trashy. And actually, Safari isn't too far from there, so...

Neff

This is (or was) one of the best arcades in Tokyo imo. It was kinda grotty but the range/price/layout was unbeatable. I really hope someone copies the format and resurrects it.

Abounder

Banned
RIP

How is the arcade scene in general in Japan nowadays? Are they turning into internet cafes? Here in the states it's pretty bleak

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Did it close because of low revenue? Or something else? Just wondering.

The sign said for 'various reasons' so I'm not sure.

Nooooo! I put so many days into that place :(

But that area is hella trashy. And actually, Safari isn't too far from there, so...

Kaikan itself was kind of a gokiburi zone but I don't think the area itself is that bad.

RIP

How is the arcade scene in general in Japan nowadays? Are they turning into internet cafes? Here in the states it's pretty bleak

Someone who knows some behind the scenes info might have a more accurate answer but I think it's less doom and gloomy than people portray. If it's an independently owned game center like this one where a lot of the games can be played at home, I think it's getting harder to stay afloat. At the larger chain run ones by Sega or Taito or etc., I think those are varied enough where they are doing okay. Having NESiCA machines and Gundam EXVSFB helps as well~

boinx

God damn man, i've actually been there.

Playing Marvel2 and Third Strike arcade versions there for the first time was awesome.

Tokieda

why is such a place closing, is the arcade industry in japan finally winding down?

I shouldn't think that has anything to do with it. Shibuya is downtown Tokyo and some of the most expensive real estate in the world. In general, independent stores/shops/etc. in Shibuya are just hard to come by, they're all being bought out by the big guys.

But I don't know, I could be wrong. If it's happening in Ikebukuro and Ueno too then yeah, maybe it's declining.

FStop7

Banned
One of my "to do" items if I ever visit to Japan is to sit in a grimy arcade/pachinko parlor and smoke cigarettes while feeding the machine for a few hours.

holy shit i was just there! i got back from Japan last Friday and this was the first arcade i went into, i wasn't even looking for it (i knew of it) and we just randomly came across it.

that's so depressing! it was an awesome space! definitely fit that stereotypical "smoke-filled arcade" feel. definitely didn't feel "not the nicest" while i was in there or in that area. just a very heavily trafficked/old kind of area, but it certainly wasn't seedy or anything. it's about a 5 minute walk from shibuya station so it's not like it was in a particularly out of the way place.

really glad i had a chance to go now. i played a few shmups in the basement floor and a couple rounds across different fighters on the 4th floor. i even won against some actual Japanese players at SFIV (via online).

Really sad to see this one go. Older, unique arcades like this are an endangered species in Tokyo.

Sorry, but most of the megachain Taito/Namco/Sega arcades are totally dull.

EDIT: On the subject, I'll be making an Osaka excursion in a few days. Anyone have any recommendations for cool, unique arcades in the area? Places brimming with retro games?

Really sad to see this one go. Older, unique arcades like this are an endangered species in Tokyo.

Sorry, but most of the megachain Taito/Namco/Sega arcades are totally dull.

i found this to be very true. most of the bigger arcades were almost entirely crane games, music games, or mech combat games. taito HEY in akihabara at least redeemed itself with the largest single collection of shmup cabs i've ever seen on the 2nd floor.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
They should've stuck with the cheap plastic chairs. Switching over to red velvet must have screwed their pockets.

i found this to be very true. most of the bigger arcades were almost entirely crane games, music games, or mech combat games. taito HEY in akihabara at least redeemed itself with the largest single collection of shmup cabs i've ever seen on the 2nd floor.

Yeah, I've only been in Japan for about four years, but even in that time I've seen some beloved arcades either close down, or the game space lost ground to redemption, Gundam blocks, and even pachislot. I understand independent arcade operators gotta do what they can to stay afloat, but it's still depressing.

EDIT: On the subject, I'll be making an Osaka excursion in a few days. Anyone have any recommendations for cool, unique arcades in the area? Places brimming with retro games?
Here's an old topic I made attempting to catalog some of the best arcades in the Osaka and Kyoto area while I was living there. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28040

The other posters give great information too, like the links in adversity1's post, and nZero's post in particular unveiled an absolute goldmine. Sorry if the information is outdated as arcades tend to close and relocate. The best ones were Amusement SCOT in Nipponbashi and the cluster of arcades in the basement floors/underground shopping arcade in the buildings nZero talks about. Good luck!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Whoa, wasn't it featured in the Japanese arcade scene documentary? The arcade had a bunch of famous STG players like Clover-TAC that were regulars right? If so then, huge loss. RIP indeed.

cuilan

Heard about this almost a week ago. It's really sad news, but I'm glad I at least got to experience it for myself earlier this year.

It was definitely better than the Club Segas and Taito Stations I went to, but I wouldn't say it was the best arcade I went to in Japan. I think Hey!, Try Tower, Mikado, Natsuge Museum, and Ebicen were all better for various reasons. Kaikan had a good selection and was generally cheaper than most other places though.

ranmafan

That's too bad. I've never been there but I know the feeling. When I lived in Yotsuya in Tokyo way back in 2001 and 2002, I went to many local arcades which were very fun and nice. They all had great small and cozy atmosphere and were a blast to go to. Sadly when I came back to Live in Japan years later, they were all gone. I really miss those places.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Aw damn. I wish I could have gone more often. The world will be a much worse place when they're all gone. :(

Maybe I can grab a few cheap PCBs now though...

fates

The hell is an arcade?

Kidding. I watched this happen in my younger years. It was sad to see them drop one after one. Hope this isn't the beginning of a trend for Japan.

Kidding. I watched this happen in my younger years. It was sad to see them drop one after one. Hope this isn't the beginning of a trend for Japan.

Arcades in Japan aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

But they are slowly, gradually turning into something I have no interest in - personally speaking. I can walk in most "new" arcades here and turn around and walk out moments later.

Top Bottom