• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget Kinect hands-on shows Kinect latency and "Reflex" demo

Here is the link to the full 7:28 demo.

The first part shows a FPS demo called "Reflex" which uses the controller and Kinect together.

More interestingly, the second half (direct link 4:25) shows the Kinect tech demos we've seen so far, but the footage is from a secondary camera and shows the latency of Kinect's calculations.

Keep in mind that TV monitors tend to have significant latency themselves...

Pretty impressive tech.
Target me and "fire missiles" if old.

laaaagtap05lt6.gif

Salex

Banned
I can CLEARLY see the input lag in the second video. Also, how can Fighter Within be 1:1 based on this and the leaked footage of the game which was laggy as well? They should stop making this false claim.

Ok the Xrya vision thing is pretty dang cool. Dodging and shield meh whatever but the xray thing...that needs to be implemented in more games...it would be like an extra button that is pretty dang cool.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, skeleton tracking's a lot laggier than just the depth map demos we saw before. I'm sure it's improved from the first but still there. Easier to understand the lag in Fighter Within if it's using skeleton tracking - though, I know, it's obviously a lot worse, but game pipelines often do add more lag or buffer up frames of motion input for gesture recognition or whatever.

JaggedSac

Am I missing something? I watched the second video and there is definite delay from movement -> screen.

They shaved off about 30ms from the base latency. So not instant, but not as bad as Kinect 1. Hopefully it is less noticeable this time around during gameplay.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I expected less lag.

Me, too. :-/

Might still be due to the fact that the algorithm that detects a certain body position is updating its model very conservatively while the actual hardware-limited latency is low.

When watching the video, the worst lag is when there's multiple skeletal tracking at once. I don't know if this has been asked before, but does the lag improve/worsen depending on of there's 1 or many people using it at once.

useless, unless the lag is significantly improved.

BTW there is no way anyone playing a FPS will use this nonsense. In COD, you barely have time to squeeze the damn trigger before someone quick scopes you lol

its cute technology... but that's all it is.. The most important application for the kinnect is UI for interacting with the xbone.

Rad-

That doesn't look that great. Honestly that's about the same delay I remember getting with Kinect 1. :/

Zero-button mouse with too much latency.

Carmack knows what's up.

He said it's still better than an analog stick though, which made me grin :p

OT: that looks awful, clear delay (and the demo looks awful, who wants to lift their controller up like some kind of idiot for something a button press could do faster and better, or duck and weave about)

Still looks like about 250+ ms of lag, even if you assume the lcd they're showing it on is probably a piece of shit with 50ms of input lag, it's still useless.

The part where they show the stickfigure representation reminded me of watching a movie where the sound is horribly out of sync, it's so jarring.

Oppo

It's way worse than I expected (and my expectations weren't sky high), especially considering that it's a tech demo.

Honestly. That example looks so egregious that I actually have to be charitable and say it must be the game, or early code, or something not inherent to the hardware or system. I'm not a Kinect fan at all but I have a hard time believing it's just... like that. Cripes.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Maybe they are using bad TVs. They should use those new Sony KDL TVs with <20ms input lag time.

Jomjom

Banned
How the heck do you play the first game in that video if you constantly have to take your hand off the controller to tap your head? That looks like a horrible implementation.

JaggedSac

You are probably posting that image to show latency. But that is a gesture that he is doing so it is waiting to make sure that a lean is desired before doing it. As you can see during the rest of the video, just general movement of the upper body is not translated on screen. There is either an "off" or "on" to the lean.

Top Bottom