• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestar.de: Watch_Dogs 60FPS on PS4/PC superior, but not as good as first trailers

ekim

From their PS4 gamescom hands-on:
http://www.gamestar.de/hardware/kon...news-artikel/playstation_4,481,3027122,2.html
Natürlich setzen wir uns auf der Gamescom auch selbst an die PS4, um allerlei Spiele zu zocken, darunter Watch Dogs und Battlefield 4 . Beide laufen mit flüssigen 60 fps und sehen natürlich viel besser aus als auf PS3 und Xbox 360, aber nicht ganz so schick und detailliert wie die jeweiligen PC-Versionen - zumindest technisch ziehen die Plattformen immer noch nicht ganz gleich.
-->
We are getting hands-on with the PS4 to play several games, including Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4. Both are running at fluent 60 FPS and of course look better than their PS3 and Xbox 360 pendants - but not as fancy and detailed as the respective PC Versions.

From the sister magazine Gamepro.de Watch_Dogs(PS4) preview:
http://www.gamepro.de/playstation/spiele/ps4/watch-dogs/artikel/watch_dogs,49234,3026888,2.html
Das Zusammenspiel zwischen App und eigentlichem Spiel demonstriert Ubisoft übrigens anhand der PC-Version, die tatsächlich schärfer und detaillierter aussieht als die technisch generell schwächere Playstation-4-Fassung - aber längst nicht so gut wie auf Bildern oder in den bisherigen Trailern. Mal sehen, ob Ubisoft da noch etwas optimiert, nach Spektakel sieht Watch Dogs derzeit jedenfalls noch nicht aus.
-->
Ubisoft demonstrated the interaction between the App and the actual game with the help of the PC-Version, which is de facto more sharp and detailed than the, technically in general, weaker PS4 Version - but also far away from looking as good as [Bullshots] or previous trailers.

60fps on PS4? Holy shitballs.

Edit: How accurate is Gamestar though? Curious why no other gaming press have reported on it...

Ragus

Banned
Day after day, after reading new threads on neogaf, I really feel like I made a right decision buying a PC.

Ubisofts stuff hasn't been that impressive to me. Was shocked by how average Blacklist looked on ultra on my PC. Watchdogs seemingly been looking worse each time I've seen it shown and it being 60 fps on Ps4 kind of scares me.

velociraptor

I would prefer Watch_Dogs to run at 30 with all it's bells and whistles. It's a game which does not need to be running at 60, but oh well.

Jack cw

Thats good news... an open world game with 60 fps is impressive even if its only 720p but it was clear that this game would never look like the initial demo ubisoft showed. The power of an gtx 690 is not possible on consoles and 99% of PCs...

How come there are only PS4 impressions from Gamescon, I thought X1 was there too with actual consoles.

Really curious how this looks at 60 fps and trade offs made to get to it.

antitrop

Looking like the initial trailers would have been far superior for a single-player open world game than 60fps, on PS4.

On PC we should have both.

60fps or
kurtwood_smith.jpg

Orayn

Rad dope! I guess it's not that surprising since it's a cross-gen game, but I wouldn't expect them to go for 60 FPS on an open world game, especially since Assassin's Creed IV is largely comparable and runs at 30 in SP.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
lol, another case of bullshit reporting. the game is not 60fps, we've been seeing it on ps4 the whole time.

Ridley327

Rad dope! I guess it's not that surprising since it's a cross-gen game, but I wouldn't expect them to go for 60 FPS on an open world game, especially since Assassin's Creed IV is largely comparable and runs at 30 in SP.

IIRC, KojiPro is targeting 60 fps for the PS4/Xbone versions of MGS5, and at the very least, the trailer from the E3 conference was running at 60.

AppleMIX

DerZuhälter;78374925 said:
Another Far Cry 3 situation, final code not looking as good as initial trailers. Not surprising at all.

I don't necessarily blame them this time. They're very much hitting a moving target.

Kinyou

Watch_Dogs being 60FPS would be super weird. None of the videos so far had that framerate, and wouldn't we have also heard about that from the live attendees during the E3 conference?

They also say that the PS4 controller feels almost exactly like the PS3 one with just slightly better triggers.
First time I heard that opinion. They're also a PC magazine, so I'm not sure if they really looked into all those things that hard.

I've been having this nagging feeling in my head ever since this game was first unveiled that it might turn out to be disappointing. It's sad to see some of those fears becoming more and more realistic as time goes by.

brobban

I doubt it. It seems people have a hard time separating 30hz from 60hz, although I would LOVE being proved wrong.

Sentenza

Edit: How accurate is Gamestar though? Curious why no other gaming press have reported on it...
It's a German site/magazine, so I usually don't read it, but as far as I know they are generally considered quite reputable.

I've been having this nagging feeling in my head ever since this game was first unveiled that it might turn out to be disappointing.
Same, but that's because it's an Ubisoft "triple A" game.
The technical side is not what I'm concerned about.

patapuf

60fps on PS4? Holy shitballs.

Gamestar is reliable. One of the bigger magazines in Germany.

They even have a section where they correct their mistakes.

Yoday

It is an odd choice to target 60fps for this kind of game on the consoles, especially if they are sacrificing the visuals in a major way. I would much prefer they lock the game at 30 and try to bump up the visuals as much as possible. Of course things could change quite a bit by launch as well. I really have to question the performance and visual quality of the XBone versions of these games at launch. If they are struggling to keep up the quality on the PS4, then what does the XBone version look like and perform like with weaker hardware and a less mature SDK?

Jack cw

They're also a PC magazine, so I'm not sure if they really looked into all those things that hard.
If they cant tell the difference then nobody can... gamestar is not half bad when it comes to tech talk and Im not sure if there was ever 60fps footage released... But the comments on the DS4 made me smile :D

Not super surprising: ubisoft's first press showing are always not how the game ends up looking (always looks worse).

PC dick riders indeed.

jett

D-Member
I don't believe this for a second. These people are a collective bunch of nincompoops. Another euro mag said DriveClub was running at 60fps and they had only played the E3 build.

ChuckNyce

Good news, my PC is beginning to show it's age so this is soldifying my PS4 Watchdogs purchase. Has it been confirmed that AC4 on PS4 is 30 FPS?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What do you mean by the whole time?

dont read too much into it. just meant that the game has been almost always demod on the ps4. we have seen it. its not 60 fps. its a mistake in reporting - like the recent driveclub thing which was also incorrectly reported as running 60 fps

MDSLKTR

It seems the closer the ps4 launch is the more 60fps games pop out unannounced :) who would have thought that optimization does wonders!

Top Bottom