• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4: new returning monster, arena challenges, and more

http://www.capcom.co.jp/monsterhunter/4/

Monster Hunter 4 / 3DS / Capcom
Japan: September 14
West: Buy MH3U

New TV ad featuring Rajang (returning monster):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9G4nFBd-tk

D:

New arena and new panels:

haV3NEz.png

1TNGdsd.png

New gameplay video:

http://youtu.be/MmH0I-E-6n8?t=10m23s

VVYwy8e.gif
SdqOfpO.gif

(new moves)

New scans:

- Charms confirmed to be in MH4 (shocking)
- New collaboration with Jump and Keroro (even more shocking)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Get yo charm tables ready. It's fuckin' on.

Insaniac

Glad they're adding / revamping / reconsidering movesets for older weapons. The GS and the SnS were two weapons i had little interest in before. It'll be nice to have a fresh take on combat strategy

Mupod

Fuck yes, Rajang. Hope he didn't get neutered like poor Tigrex, I want the new kids to experience having all their blood punched out by a super saiyan.

Boogiepop

Was that... a monster whose body was a giant shark head in that trailer? I clearly haven't been keeping up with updates on this game for a while, man.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Dude the new Sword and Shield move set looks like it might actually be fun to play!

I mean I'm sure it was fun before if it was your sort of thing but it never really interested me, but this looks really cool.

Now... we just need a localization of this. =/

It's been quiet on that front, but a French store listed it as coming December 2013, back in July.

I doubt it will be that fast, but I would love to be wrong.

Also, I suspect 8-4 is either working on this or DQ7,
based on hopes and wishes

Honestly, those textures are still looking WORSE than MH3U textures (I'm comparing videos, so “but it'll look better on the 3DS!!” doesn't apply). Disappointed.

Coiote

I hope they release this game in the west soon. Online with voice chat will be so awesome. I am hopeful because you don't need develop these features for a japan only handheld game.

isual

shiettt .
just bought a 3ds xl black and mh3u recently.

shiettt. gotta start on playing 3u. 4 will probably come out spring of next year.

shiettt. OR we could just wait for the eventual 4ultimate.

shiettt

Glad they're adding / revamping / reconsidering movesets for older weapons. The GS and the SnS were two weapons i had little interest in before. It'll be nice to have a fresh take on combat strategy

tellin u son . back in the old days of MH ps2 , GS and Lance were the best weapons .

Mupod

This really is MHFU electric boogaloo isn't it

It's not that surprising if you think about it in terms of long term goals for the series. They abandoned a ton of great monsters during the shift to third gen. So while it's a lot of work to improve animations, models, hitboxes and AI, it's less work than making new monsters.

If they want to be as Capcom as humanly possible, instead of making MH5 they could release G and Super G Turbo Championship Edition versions afterwards for maximum milking. G could add all the 3rd gen monsters back in, and another rerelease for 2nd and 3rd gen subspecies.

Or maybe this game has many more monsters than we think. I'm not optimistic enough to expect all the Tri/P3rd monsters to be in already though.

MH4 has more unique monsters than MHP3, and will soon surpass MH3U as well. Absolutely crazy.

Large Monsters:

MHP3: 28 unique, 12 sub-species
MH3U: 29 unique, 22 sub-species
MH4: 29 unique, 0 sub-species (so far)

Kechawacha
Goa Magara
Nerusukyura
Tetsukabura
Garara Ajara
Zaboazagiru
Aruserutasu
Generu Serutasu
Rathian
Rathalos
Tigrex
Zingogre
Kirin
Yian Kat Ku
Kushala Daora
Teostra
Lagombi
Khezu
Great Jaggi
Velocidrome
Gendrome
Congalala
Gypceros
Gravios
Basarios
Iodrome
Rajang
Unknown Giant Snake
Unknown Giant Whale

"Found the vein put it in heeeeeere!"

If they release this in NA, I may have to dust off my old Greatsword and jump back in the franchise. I've really dug everything I've seen thus far.

It's not that surprising if you think about it in terms of long term goals for the series. They abandoned a ton of great monsters during the shift to third gen. So while it's a lot of work to improve animations, models, hitboxes and AI, it's less work than making new monsters.

If they want to be as Capcom as humanly possible, instead of making MH5 they could release G and Super G Turbo Championship Edition versions afterwards for maximum milking. G could add all the 3rd gen monsters back in, and another rerelease for 2nd and 3rd gen subspecies.

Or maybe this game has many more monsters than we think. I'm not optimistic enough to expect all the Tri/P3rd monsters to be in already though.
I first noticed it during a recent M-Create thread, but I suspect that the lack of third gen monsters in MH4 is to incentivize buyers to double dip on MH3G. Following that line of logic, if a MH4G were to exist (which is pretty much a given) we should only expect a bunch of subspecies and more Gen 2 monsters that don't make the cut in the base game.

SkyOdin

I first noticed it during a recent M-Create thread, but I suspect that the lack of third gen monsters in MH4 is to incentivize buyers to double dip on MH3G. Following that line of logic, if a MH4G were to exist (which is pretty much a given) we should only expect a bunch of subspecies and more Gen 2 monsters that don't make the cut in the base game.

Not sure if that logic follows for a 4G. Given the difference in release window, the risk of a future 4G cannibalizing 3G sales is minimal. Rather, they would be seeking to entice over players who stuck with 3G rather than buy 4.

SuperSah

Banned
Charm Tables.. </3

The commercial sounds like he's saying "Monster Hunter Whore!" XD

So excited, please come to the West, I love MH3 and MH3U.. ;;

Not sure if that logic follows for a 4G. Given the difference in release window, the risk of a future 4G cannibalizing 3G sales is minimal. Rather, they would be seeking to entice over players who stuck with 3G rather than buy 4.

It's not cannibalization at all the way you describe it; given the sales projections Capcom has for MH4 they seem to be anticipating new players who never played MH3G. After playing MH4/4G if they see that 3G has a bunch of monsters not in that game they could potentially long tail some more sales out of that game. And enticing 3G players over would also support 4/4G not having many third gen monsters?

Top Bottom