• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4: new returning monster, arena challenges, and more

Alrus

Why hasn't this been announced for the US yet.
Oh right, Capcom.

No. It's because MH3U came out in march.

Seriously guys, do you remember how long it took them to announced MH3U for the west after the game was released in Japan? I wouldn't expect an announcement until at least early 2014.

MH3U was a decent success, nothing mindblowing but it was certainly worth localizing, I wouldn't worry about MH4 coming to the west.

OMFG, the Super Saiyan Rajang is back!! One of my nemesis in MHFU. Welcome back, gorilla!

Where are the revamped moveset for hammer? Go #TeamHammer!

Mupod

After P3rd I don't take anything for granted regarding localization of this series.

OMFG, the Super Saiyan Rajang is back!! One of my nemesis in MHFU. Welcome back, gorilla!

Where are the revamped moveset for hammer? Go #TeamHammer!

I think SSJ2 rajang is one of the only monsters I never actually beat. Final Invitation is really intense and a lot of fun though.

Hammer could definitely use some improvements, not saying it should be king of weapons again, but it's hard to justify using it over HH in a group (or even solo sometimes). Maybe because 3U is full of brute wyverns and HH can hit their heads with ease compared to hammer.

DaBoss

After P3rd I don't take anything for granted regarding localization of this series.

Well P3rd was released on the PSP which had a sever piracy issue in the west and the PSP was terrible in terms of software sales during its latter years.

Peru

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/59479837384/new-info-on-mh4-guild-quests-etc

1. Unearthed Gear

Up until now you were able to find Charms that were unearthed. Each was random and had different stats and abilities. They are now adding actual armor and weapons to that system. One neat new thing is that each new gear you unearth (by mining, rewards, etc.) will look slightly different. For example, they showed Rathalos armor that looked slightly different). You can find the same piece of armor or weapon, but with slightly different appearances, stats (like higher attack, an additional slot, higher rarity, etc.). The rarity works like charms, there stuff like rusted or weathered armor, etc.

4Gamer added that you can find gear for monsters that are not even in this game!

2. Unknown Forest

The forest is for single player free hunting, like Moga Forest was in MH3U. However each time you go there, the area is different. The structures, the items you can find or mine for, the monsters that appear there, etc. are random. You can find the Unearthed Gear (mentioned above) in the forest.

3. Guild Quests

The most efficient way to find the best materials and items in the Unknown Forest is through Guild Quests. These are not quests that just exist like normal quests. When you go into the forest and hunt the monsters that are in there and mine the items that can be found, you receive a rating based on your efforts. When you leave the forest, if your rating was high enough, you can save that excursion as a quest, forever locking in the items/monsters/etc. that were there that specific time. You can then replay that quest, or share it with other players (friends, or though streetpass).

For the excursions you save as quests you can play them either single player or even with friends. As you clear Guild Quests the level of difficulty/rarity of the things you might encounter goes up. Higher level Guild Quests means a better chance to meet stronger monsters, and get better items. A Guild Quest lists info like if there is a ‘treasure area’, poogies, and what the tendency is for what kind of items you might find/get (lists both tendency for weapon and armor).

Some game changers there - those quests.

Mining for rare weapons and armors? :lol Ready.

7aNCpsk.jpg

Qurupecco Slash Axe! He hasn't been confirmed yet, maybe his weapons are part of the whole mining thingy?

Opening Movie

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=78530793

Mr. Fix

New famitsu scans confirm Yian Garuga. Translated from GF:

a Famitsu collaboration weapon and then some stuff on the excavation equipment. It looks like the chance of finding rare items / monsters increases as you continue to do quests; overall, it sounds like you can have quite a bit of control over the random elements in this system - with grinding, sure, but it is still better than grinding and still only having a 1% chance every time.

DaBoss

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU BASED CAPCOM!!! LESS GRINDING!!!!

OMG OMG OMG

You can tell how big of a megaton this is.

Kazerei

Banned
It looks like the chance of finding rare items / monsters increases as you continue to do quests; overall, it sounds like you can have quite a bit of control over the random elements in this system - with grinding, sure, but it is still better than grinding and still only having a 1% chance every time.

PRAISE CAPGOD

ALL SINS FORGIVEN

Mr. Fix

Seriously, Brute Wyverns are the best. Where they at? I feel awful for wanting both Jho and Brachydios. I need leaks asap.

Mupod

New famitsu scans confirm Yian Garuga. Translated from GF:

now this is some great news. Shitty droprates need to go and stay gone.

Garuga's one of my favorite monsters as well. Hopefully we get the pissed off one eared bastard instead of the wimpy version.

Twinduct

How did MH3 sell in the west?
Trying to figure out when I should start caring for this game. Early hype makes the wait too hard :/

FlyFaster

MH4 looks better everytime I see it. Really hoping they put in a TON of arena challenges. The 1v1 grudge matches are my favorite ways to learn new monsters and weapons, and I have fun speed running them. (or trying too lol)

also

drops rates should be lower imo.

Make that hard to get stuff, hard to get. That way when you see someone with it, you know they worked for it.

edit:
I hope this doesn't come to the states and instead we get a 3DS and Wii U G/Ultimate version again. I really can't play this game w/ out 2 analog sticks, so it coming to the 3ds does nothing for me. ;(

Twinduct

MH4 looks better everytime I see it. Really hoping they put in a TON of arena challenges. The 1v1 grudge matches are my favorite ways to learn new monsters and weapons, and I have fun speed running them. (or trying too lol)

also

Make that hard to get stuff, hard to get. That way when you see someone with it, you know they worked for it.

edit:
I hope this doesn't come to the states and instead we get a 3DS and Wii U G/Ultimate version again. I really can't play this game w/ out 2 analog sticks, so it coming to the 3ds does nothing for me. ;(

Get that franken stick! Got mine for the XL and honestly made the game playable for me!
Not to mention how much it improves the ergonomics!

Alrus

Oh god no, it's bad enough that I had to kill at least 30 boring Rathian to get a single plate (now I need a Ruby, I'm going to cry...), I don't want it to be worse.

Mr. Fix

also

edit:

Have they mentioned whether or not they were supporting the game with free dlc quests like they did with 3G?

Also, I'd have to agree with you on them skipping out on mh4 if it means they could bring over mh4G faster overseas. It would sting to know that we'd be getting 4 if G is around the corner for them.

Darvan

I guess the real way to judge how far out we are from getting a MH4 announcement is to know how much DLC is left for MH3U.

L Thammy

I was thinking of getting a PSP or Vita to play Freedom Unit,... not so much now. Yama and Lao are the only second-gen monsters I want to fight that aren't in this game or 3U.

EDIT: Just read the new stuff in this page. So good.

Anura

Does anyone know, or has it been confirmed already whether damage done when leaping on a monsters back is just for looking your typical bad ass self as only MH can do? Or does it equate to higher drop rates, more items, ect. at quests end? Either way I can't wait to try it lol

From what I have heard it has the same damage but initiates that riding minigame that can knock the monster down for a while. I had also heard that like KO's with hammers it must be applied gradually and you on average get one or two per hunt

Meesh

From what I have heard it has the same damage but initiates that riding minigame that can knock the monster down for a while. I had also heard that like KO's with hammers it must be applied gradually and you on average get one or two per hunt
Interesting. It's kinda humorous that hunters can "ride" monsters now, fits with the whole caravan/ western look and feel they seem to be going for. Anyways, sounds cool but only 2 per hunt and it sounds like its best applied with a slightly weakened monster? Thanks for the response btw. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4q5xAu41E

Famitsu released the Goa Magara video. T______T

=O

That Insect Staff looks more legit every time I see it! And that Goa Magara looks freaking AMAZING when it's raging about!

a Famitsu collaboration weapon and then some stuff on the excavation equipment. It looks like the chance of finding rare items / monsters increases as you continue to do quests; overall, it sounds like you can have quite a bit of control over the random elements in this system - with grinding, sure, but it is still better than grinding and still only having a 1% chance every time.

YES!!!!!!! This is the most hype Monster Hunter yet! I need it now...

Top Bottom