• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 opening movie

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
via CapcomChannel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9de7mRhXWk

Edit:
This new commercial video shows off some new stuff as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf86uAiHERE&feature=youtu.be

In particular it shows how you can trade quests with other players via StreetPass (starts at the 4:20 mark). The quests include the target monster, stage and weapon apparently.

Edit 2:
New Info on the Guild Quests, Expeditions and Unknown Forest!

Unearthed Gear
Up until now you were able to find Charms that were unearthed. Each was random and had different stats and abilities. They are now adding actual armor and weapons to that system. One neat new thing is that each new gear you unearth (by mining, rewards, etc.) will look slightly different. For example, they showed Rathalos armor that looked slightly different). You can find the same piece of armor or weapon, but with slightly different appearances, stats (like higher attack, an additional slot, higher rarity, etc.). The rarity works like charms, there stuff like rusted or weathered armor, etc.

Guild Quests
The most efficient way to find the best materials and items in the Unknown Forest is through Guild Quests. These are not quests that just exist like normal quests. When you go into the forest and hunt the monsters that are in there and mine the items that can be found, you receive a rating based on your efforts. When you leave the forest, if your rating was high enough, you can save that excursion as a quest, forever locking in the items/monsters/etc. that were there that specific time. You can then replay that quest, or share it with other players (friends, or though streetpass).

For the excursions you save as quests you can play them either single player or even with friends. As you clear Guild Quests the level of difficulty/rarity of the things you might encounter goes up. Higher level Guild Quests means a better chance to meet stronger monsters, and get better items. A Guild Quest lists info like if there is a ‘treasure area’, poogies, and what the tendency is for what kind of items you might find/get (lists both tendency for weapon and armor).

Unknown Forest
Like MH3U, there is an area you can go to anytime to do free hunting. This time it’s the Unknown Forest. It can be accessed via the world map.

The area is slightly randomly generated, so the actual maps, monsters, items, etc. will be different every time. Before you enter the forest you can see the details of the Forest (like MH3U). The details include if the area is stable, what large monsters are there, if there is a treasure mining area, if any wild Felynes (or Pugi? I think i saw on one screenshot) exist, and what kind of weapons/armor you might find (more in that below).

After you choose to go into the Unknown Forest, if you do enough (assuming this means you killed the large monster instead of just leaving), the Guild will save that excursion and the state of the Unknown Forest as a official Guild Quest. You can redo the quest as much as you like, this time solo or online, and even share it with other players. The idea is that no two Guild Quests are the same.

As you hunt in the Unknown Forest you will earn points. Earn enough and your Quest Level will increase. The higher your quest level, the higher chance that a ‘rare’ or high level quest in the Unknown Forest will become available. You’ll want to check what’s in the Forest between each quest I think so you don’t miss the opportunity to do a rare quest that might appear.

When you receive a quest from another player, it will drop to a certain level, meaning if you get a quest that has a very high rate of getting a rare item, the odds will be higher for you than other players you share the map with. A good idea to ensure balance is maintained in my opinion.

More at the link: http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/

Tenbatsu

The quality of the CGs for MH opening gets better each time. Dam...

The approach of the movie is different this time round, seems closer to the original MH of escaping from monsters.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Looking good, but all MH Opening movies have been impressive

Is it OK if I pretend it's gameplay footage of a next-gen console version?
I knew such a post would be the first one. As with every MH4 topic ;-)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That was beautiful. I thought the chase kept on going for a bit longer than it should have, but the actual fight when the coop partner showed up was fantastic.

Also, did they avoid the main theme in opening? I heard a small melody of it in the beginning, but that's it?

Nintendo and Capcom having a money fight party when this releases

tumblr_lm2q16Us271qgtbp2o1_500.gif

vareon

It's a MH tradition to use full CGI since the original MH.

I know, but the game's early promotion (for a few months after the reveal trailer) used no CG and I thought maybe they thought the game looks dynamic enough that a CG trailer was not needed. Apparently they want to keep the full CGI, but it's not a big deal anyway.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Omg, Rajang and Kirin? When are they localizing this? I'd pick up a 3DS for this.

The environment textures look terrible though, what happened there?

CTLance

Still won't buy a 3DS for this, but damn, I am still tempted.

Him exiting the forest to run away from something that's faster than him on a straight line seemed like not so much of a great idea, even with the space marine and his chain firing sniping gun (seeeeriously?) waiting "in ambush" (lol) about a million miles away. Seemed kinda half-baked, that plan of theirs. :3

I want a bug shield. Although I honestly have trouble imagining what pains you must go through to convince a living being to act as shield on your arm to be held in harms way. Still, damn cool.

Wannnnt.

I don't like the idea of exchanging quests via streetpass. I don't have anybody to do it with so I'll miss on a portion of the content offered and it kind of rubs me the wrong way...
I really hope they'll make them available some other way in the future...

Japan is going to explode, MH4 in September, Pokemon in October.

Thank god Pokemon is a worldwide release.

Can't wait for MH4 to get to EU/US, I enjoyed MH3U, but I don't have any friends that play it and soloing gets kind of boring. Being able to go online is awesome.

Peru

Rathalos Cake is megaton. Megaton.

Still won't buy a 3DS for this, but damn, I am still tempted.

Him exiting the forest to run away from something that's faster than him on a straight line seemed like not so much of a great idea, even with the space marine and his chain firing sniping gun (seeeeriously?) waiting "in ambush" (lol) about a million miles away. Seemed kinda half-baked, that plan of theirs. :3

Easy. The zone change gives them a buffer.

Zenaku

I don't like the idea of exchanging quests via streetpass. I don't have anybody to do it with so I'll miss on a portion of the content offered and it kind of rubs me the wrong way...
I really hope they'll make them available some other way in the future...

Seems you can exchange quests directly with friends too, so you just need to add a few gaffers.

CTLance

Rathalos Cake is megaton. Megaton.

Easy. The zone change gives them a buffer.
The fact that Rathalos is apparently made out of cake certainly is a Megaton. Then again, why would you want to make an armour out of cake? .... no, don't answer that. That was a stupid question.

Also, thanks for the giggle. Zone change tanking. Awesome.

Top Bottom