• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1-UP Studio (formely Brownie Brown) is Hiring!

http://1-up-studio.jp/recruit/recruit_info.html

After restructuring earlier this year, the team was reducing from 30+ members to just 18. As of this month, they have begun hiring graphic designers (both field and character designers). 5 of them, in total. They'll be taking in full-time and contracted employees, but contract employees have the chance to become full time based on their work, after six months or the completion of one project (a fairly standard condition).

What's interesting (maybe, but not really) is that the new employees won't be expected to begin until December. The team is presumed to be assisting on Super Mario 3D World after they helped with the prequel on the 3DS, which releases in the US in November.

The restructure seems to have intended to turn them into a support studio for Tokyo EAD, like Monolith Kyoto seems to be for Kyoto EAD. Both staff interviews on the site are with designers and I expect that makes up the bulk of their development staff.
I wonder which project they will be working on next.

Also, randomly, here's a 'day in the life at 1-UP': http://1-up-studio.jp/recruit/recruit_info.html

Feed me to Bowser if old.

radcliff

Since EAD Tokyo worked with Grezzo on OOT 3D, 1Up now works with EAD Tokyo, and both Grezzo and 1UP basically consist of the original Seiken Densetsu (Secret of Mana) team, I wonder if they would team up for a spiritual successor?

Elfteiroh

Hum, interesting.
These will surely be for a new project, OR they are planning on doing some DLC for mario, but then, it wouldn't be graphic designers they would be hiring. Yeah, decidedly a new project.

Hum, interesting.
These will surely be for a new project, OR they are planning on doing some DLC for mario, but then, it wouldn't be graphic designers they would be hiring. Yeah, decidedly a new project.
Nintendo does DLC after the game is released so it's definitely something new.

Elfteiroh

Nintendo does DLC after the game is released so it's definitely something new.

The new employee would only start in December, and isn't mario supposed to release around of before that time?
Still, like I said, they are not the right kind of employee for DLC.

lo zaffo

If I remember correctly, EAD Tokyo branch is itself a collection of veterans of game industry, to say they are sort the opposite of Nintendo-from-the-beginning usual staff.

I'd love to live in Tokyo, but I fear I'm not prepared for that type of business.

Darryl

Banned
Why would they give up a cool name like Brownie Brown?

not much point in the name when you don't have any independent products of your own in the pipe to help sell. naming it something like 1-UP studios would more accurately inform potential employees that they're really just gonna be assisting design and production for mario games so that people who aren't interested won't bother applying.

Top Bottom