• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition Veterans Form New Studio Shapeshifter Games, Working on Xbox Game Studios Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if you can't define it then you're in no position to even be asking the following:
giphy.gif

Because you guys keep changing what qualifies and what doesn't. For example: Some don't/Some do think something as simple as a black female protagonist qualifies as woke.

Therefore, I'm asking you, what are your own qualifications that define wokeness. Once you set the parameters, I can respond with answers.

GHG

giphy.gif

Because you guys keep changing what qualifies and what doesn't. For example: Some don't/Some do think something as simple as a black female protagonist qualifies as woke.

Therefore, I'm asking you, what are your own qualifications that define wokeness. Once you set the parameters, I can respond with answers.

There are no "qualifiers" because there are so many fucking ways that this has manifested and currently penetrates the medium, you know it when you see it.

It would be fruitless for me to even start listing games when you can simply turn around and say "that's not woke" or make some other excuse for the developers/games (as you have with the volition developers).

I don't even see how this is up for debate. The latest saints row was dogshit, both from a mechanical standpoint and from the ideological standpoint. There were no redeeming features and any developer that was complicit in any of it is not deserving of a chance to do more damage elsewhere.

There are no "qualifiers" because there are so many fucking ways that this has manifested and currently penetrates the medium, you know it when you see it.
...A word needs qualifiers to define it when it covers such a broad range of things.
It would be fruitless for me to even start listing games when you can simply turn around and say "that's not woke" or make some other excuse for the developers/games (as you have with the volition developers).
You asked me to list to you! What the hell are you talking about lol. Why are you trying to spin this back around to me? I never asked for a list, you did. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I don't even see how this is up for debate. The latest saints row was dogshit, both from a mechanical standpoint and from the ideological standpoint. There were no redeeming features and any developer that was complicit in any of it is not deserving of a chance to do more damage elsewhere.
It's up for debate because I'm making a point that political standing and agendas have no bearing on the quality of a game. You know that my argument has merit, and you know that I can easily prove my argument right, which is why you're being evasive with your latest post.

It's the same reason why certain audiences wanted Kingdom Come: Deliverance to be a bad game, but it wasn't a bad video game. Because that's not how this works.

GHG

...A word needs qualifiers to define it when it covers such a broad range of things.

You asked me to list to you! What the hell are you talking about lol. Why are you trying to spin this back around to me? I never asked for a list, you did. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You asked me the question I think you'll find. I threw it back in your direction because in my opinion there are so few games that happen to be both mechanically solid and rife with ideological crap.

There are far more high profile casualties than there are success stories in that regard.

It's up for debate because I'm making a point that political standing and agendas have no bearing on the quality of a game. You know that my argument has merit, and you know that I can easily prove my argument right, which is why you're being evasive with your latest post.

Of course they do. It's all a balance of resources and priorities. Why do you think most games coming out of Japan have been wiping the floor with what's being produced in the West in recent years?

And for the record, no, I certainly don't think your argument has any merit.

It's the same reason why certain audiences wanted Kingdom Come: Deliverance to be a bad game, but it wasn't a bad video game. Because that's not how this works.

Kingdom Come Deliverance does no favours to your argument. In the vast majority of circumstances where people behind the game have stood their ground when faced with the woke mob, their games have turned out to be success stories.

Kadve

If a developer makes a bunch of decent-to-good B and AA games and then makes one bad, low budget, rushed AAA game, does that overall make them a bad developer?
Outside of the Saints Row franchise the last "good" game Volition made was Red Faction Guerrilla back in 2009.

Last edited:
You think they won't be making new CODs still? Pretending those layoffs were for quality control is straight up delusion. They will be making COD with even less resources. Let's not forget they had to make it in 14 months with 2023 originally supposed to be a gap year for COD as well. Probably a consequence of MS buying and not accepting a year of declined revenue
COD games will without a doubt continue to be made under Microsoft, however it's possible the franchise is moving away from a yearly release schedule which would make having 4 studios all dedicated to this one franchise very redundant.

"In a new article that provides an overview of Activision Blizzard's internal reactions to the acquisition, Bloomberg reports that "high-level employees" have discussed ditching Call of Duty's current release schedule."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom