• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Vita Games Look Like On TV

GulAtiCa

Very impressive.

How big are those tvs? They seem medium to me. I wonder how Vita games would look on my tv though, that's maybe 2x or 1.5x bigger. Even if it's less clear, I can still possible see myself getting one, esp for only $100.

How can you guys tell the quality of something from a off screen video?

It won't look that good in a real situation since the vita resolution is 1/4 of 1080P, and even lower for non native res games.

Looks way better then I expected. I guess I wasn't the only one predicting it to look like a stretched out mess but came out surprised.

I was drooling at that Danganropa preview. That looked so good on the TV.

Roubjon

From what I can see, they look pretty awesome on the TV, but I'd have to see it in person. Something tells me I don't have too worry too much though.

Very impressive.

How big are those tvs? They seem medium to me. I wonder how Vita games would look on my tv though, that's maybe 2x or 1.5x bigger. Even if it's less clear, I can still possible see myself getting one, esp for only $100.
Anywhere from 36-42 inch I'd say. Which is good for the majority. Looks great.

Orayn

Funny to think about how some Vita games have about the same native resolution as the console versions of Alan Wake and Diablo III.

elektrixx

Banned

It won't look that good in a real situation since the vita resolution is 1/4 of 1080P, and even lower for non native res games.

The best I could do was look at hard edges like text, HUD and other UI.

thefit

Man I can't wait for this our vita gets lots of play here and having an option for bigger hands on tv is just badass.

Labrys

Dangan Ronpa looks sooooooooooooooooo good! Just seeing the high def sprite of Oowada made me really excited, you can see so much more detail, now. I wonder what the trials and the executions are gonna look like...

I'll have to link that video in the OT for 1.2 Reload, now.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Worlds better than the PSP's terrible TV out. No doubt about it now - I'm never playing a Vita game on the Vita again.

Of course, I'll keep it around to use as the controller.

todd360

Can vita tv be used with a dual shock 4? I need that to be in on this. If not i'm happy with just my oled vita.

whitehawk

Banned

Think of sub-native games like Sleeping Dogs on the PS3. It will look very blurry. Even worse for games that run at sub-native Vita resolution like Uncharted and Soul Sacrifice.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nice I guess, but I still don't get who this product is for.

For people who can't afford either a PS4 or a Vita, people who want to use another TV to play their PS4s on when the main TV is being used and people who want a cheaper alternative for watching Youtube, Netflix or streaming PS3/PS2 games through Gaikai. And of course, people who want to play Vita/PSP games on the TV.

It also gives devs a bigger incentive to support the Vita.

Considering most Vita games run at a resolution similar to 360/PS3 games the clarity should be similar. Use COD (which runs at that resolution) as a reference.

Odrion

Banned
544p upscaled to 720p/1080i eh. So basically what current gen titles are doing now? ;p

Looks great! But I'm more interested in how PSP titles look. The Vita's biggest secret is the giant library of incredible PSP games, and I'd like to see how they look with the Vita's Bilinear Filtering and upscaled.

iBuzz7S

Banned
So people are looking forward to buying a handheld entertainment device, one which is capable of playing video games on its own screen, to play games on their TV?

I must've missed something, or I am just happy with playing what games I own on the PS Vita.

Darko

So people are looking forward to buying a handheld entertainment device, one which is capable of playing video games on its own screen, to play games on their TV?

I must've missed something, or I am just happy with playing what games I own on the PS Vita.

whats wrong with the option to play on the tv when youre at home....

Superman

As a proud Vita owner I want this to do well, and come out in the west also. If its around £60-£80 I would definitely buy one to play Vita games on the TV.

P4G on the big screen...

Miburou

I saw Knack, Parappa and Soul Sacrifice Delta being played on the Vita TV on Sony's 42" LCDs, and they all looked pretty good. Knack was a bit blurry, but acceptable, and Soul Sacrifice surprised me by how good it looked (and it still displayed an icon with 'touch' on it in the corner). Definitely exceeded my admittedly low expectations.

I'm the one who took the videos. The Vita TV was one of the things that I was looking forward to seeing the most at TGS, and I was very pleased with how good games look on it. You can barely tell the games were designed for a handheld screen with a resolution nowhere near your HDTV.

The TVs were around 40 inches, btw.

I do wonder if they're doing something above and beyond a simple upscale, like recognizing vector elements and rendering those at native res. That might explain why the text in the first video looks fairly crisp, while the 3D world looks noticeably non-native. If Danganronpa also has, say, high-res character portraits, those could also be rendered at native, explaining why those also look pretty sharp. Knowing absolutely nothing about this sort of thing, though, I have no idea if this functionality is possible to graft onto Vita TV (or if perhaps Sony anticipated the need for a Vita TV long ago and gave the platform the necessary flexibility to target multiple resolutions).

$h@d0w

I'm the one who took the videos. The Vita TV was one of the things that I was looking forward to seeing the most at TGS, and I was very pleased with how good games look on it. You can barely tell the games were designed for a handheld screen with a resolution nowhere near your HDTV.

The TVs were around 40 inches, btw.

Thanks for the videos.

Top Bottom