• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution "complete failure" if we fail to outsell Gamecube

bdoughty

Banned

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
boy, that quote will be fun to pull out several years from now. it's a shame nintendo never provided conditions under which the gamecube could officially be labelled a "complete failure."

Speevy

Banned
He thinks the console based on the most different control concept in gaming history will be a failure if it doesn't catch on with a gaming public that bought 130 million ordinary consoles this generation. Hmm.

Speevy

Banned
drohne said:
boy, that quote will be fun to pull out several years from now. it's a shame nintendo never provided conditions under which the gamecube could officially be labelled a "complete failure."

How about "Third parties are important to us." and "Brand new franchises are coming for the Gamecube."

Iwata is his own worst enemy... don't say the word 'failure' and your next product in the same sentence... someone from marketing needs to knock him upside the head..

jedimike

drohne said:

Iwata did say they (Nintendo) expected to sell 50 million GC units by Jun '05.

argon

This is a good statement.. it shows they aren't willing to sit back and accept a pathetic install base, even if its profitable.

Speevy

Banned
Continued:

"Of course, the Revolution is a success if it outsells the first Xbox. I should have said that earlier."

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
...so a certain website got it wrong again..... no wait... they didn't AFTER March... hmmm now if they got it right.... good times ahead... good times...

robo_robo

TOKYO--Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that the company is aiming for a simultaneous worldwide release for its next-generation gaming console, the Revolution. Iwata also confirmed that the system will be coming out after March in 2006.

June 2006

Believe

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
The system's controller, which was revealed in September, was the focus of much of the console's buzz. Surprisingly, Iwata revealed to Nikkei that Nintendo's former president Hiroshi Yamauchi was not involved in any way with the creation of the Revolution's controller.
LIES! Yamauchi invents EVERYTHING for Nintendo. :p

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The more they draw a line under GC the better in my opinion.

Means they will go all out to make the next console seem different, which might result in a load of new ideas/franchises as happened with Sega and Dreamcast.

jedimike

radioheadrule83 said:
Didn't Microsoft have similarly lavish aims?

After MS had some early moderate success, J. Allard claimed that selling 3 million consoles was easy (due to the hardcore gamers buying launch consoles) and that selling the next 100 million would be much more difficult. (He didn't allude to just Xbox, more of an implication that MS was in the business for the long run and would have an Xbox 2, 3, 4, etc.)

genjiZERO

Nash said:
The more they draw a line under GC the better in my opinion.

Means they will go all out to make the next console seem different, which might result in a load of new ideas/franchises as happened with Sega and Dreamcast.

... so this is a good thing?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
genjiZERO said:
... so this is a good thing?

Well I think so. GC's line-up was far too predictable, I'd like to see Nintendo experiment more and be more creative. Some great stuff came out of Sega's internal teams with the Dreamcast, and that was a result of a drive to make the Dreamcast stand-out from the competition and the arcade-heavy Saturn.

Such a move would be less risky for Nintendo as well, as they always have guaranteed multi-million sellers like Smash Bros. to fall back on which Sega never had. And the Revolution's controller means people will be more open to new ideas/franchises I would think.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's a way of him saying he's disatisfied with the sales of Gamecube. Right now, just because Nintendo is making money with the GC people think Nintendo doesn't mind going for a bigger audience and is satisfied with its own niche audience for Revolution. I think he is trying to address that misconception.

Mihail

Banned
While it sounds like a pretty bold statement, it's pretty much a given. The DS is a pretty good indication, I think -- and the DS isn't nearly as "approachable" as the Rvltn seems to be.

KingJ2002

I would be surprised if they didnt outpreform the gamecube. Problem with the gamecube is that it wasnt unique.

Nintendo consoles always brought a different gameplay experience through the hardware compared to the competition.

the gamecube didnt do that... expect for a different button layout and lack of extra shoulder button / digital click buttons it wasnt much different from the competition.

well... that's my opinion

anywho... i think because of nintendo's design... it will catch on and people will pick one up regardless if they had a 360 or PS3.

and if people start playing the revolution more than their other systems... nintendo succeeds.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I love it when important people are straight and honest.

Destroys that evil corportation image.

Man, Iwata is really down to earth in the way he speaks sometimes, and he certainly speaks A LOT for a corp head, no? Who else does that much press/interviews themselves?

What a swell guy.

KINGMOKU

Excellent. I expected him to say as much. One thing about Iwata is that he doesn't beat around the bush.

Now, show me some fucking game footage.

vitaflo said:
I'm not sure which is more ludicrous, this comment, or the one about 1 billion people playing xbox 360. :lol
How exactly is Iwata's statement ludicrous? And how is it comparable to Microsoft's long-term industry objectives?

aoi tsuki

Photo-Bernie_Stolar.jpg

"Our future isn't with the Saturn. I mean... buy a Saturn now, and get three games... free!"

cvxfreak

Mihail said:
I found his comment, however ridiculous, a lot less offensive than the spam you forum veterans followed with.

I don't really mean it. I just never get to post GAF catchphrases. :D

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Mihail said:
I found his comment, however ridiculous, a lot less offensive than the spam you forum veterans followed with.

I found your response to my response annoying perturbing, and I demand satisfaction.

AirBrian

foxhunt99 said:
Nintendo is a failure itself.

Which game makes you lose respect for the person that tells you s/he liked it?
foxhunt99 said:
Pokemon and Marios ( the New ones)

Amusing eBay Auction: "Madden NFL 2006 (Xbox) Blight on the Videogame Industry"
foxhunt99 said:
SEGA sports > EA crap

Wow, you sure have the "unsubstantiated one-line troll" thing down. Care to expand on your post?

Top Bottom