• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revolution "complete failure" if we fail to outsell Gamecube

SantaC

Of course it'a failure if Nintendo dont sell more Revs than GCs...

Hopefully their strategy is better next gen

E-Nature

I hope they radically change the marketing in europe for the revolution. the current marketing activities of NOE are just plain terrible! (or non existent?)

monkeyrun

E-Nature said:
I hope they radically change the marketing in europe for the revolution. the current marketing activities of NOE are just plain terrible! (or non existent?)
don't hope .. lower your expectations ...

AniHawk

Himuro said:
I just remembered Zelda: TP getting delayed till spring 06. Was this the reason? Are they putting in on Revolution?

If it had anything to do with Revolution, maybe they're putting some hidden Revolution-control mechanism in there, but I doubt they'd port it.

Himuro said:
I just remembered Zelda: TP getting delayed till spring 06. Was this the reason? Are they putting in on Revolution?
Delayed to April iirc, probably the reason why nintendo can confirm that rev won't be out before April (mentioned in another thread), so as the launch won't steal from TP's thunder. Just a thought...

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
they should rebrand and rerelease the gamecube as the "nintendo complete failure," or "cfn." i think non-gamers intimidated by successful consoles with lots of games to choose from will be won over by its charming self-deprecation and total lack of software!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
drohne said:
they should rebrand and rerelease the gamecube as the "nintendo complete failure," or "cfn." i think non-gamers intimidated by successful consoles with lots of games to choose from will be won over by its charming self-deprecation and total lack of software!

:lol

you're relentless but damn that's good.

Sapiens

Tritroid said:
Yamauchi said the same thing about GC shortly before the N64 to GC transition.

Haha, time to change your avatar dude. I'm sad that ZTP isnt coming out till 06, but you must be devestated.

genjiZERO

Himuro said:

Nice conspiracy theory, would be hype if true. Give them more time to tweak and flesh out the game. Make it a launch game? It could help to move Rev units. I wouldn’t hold by breath though.

Well I think so. GC's line-up was far too predictable, I'd like to see Nintendo experiment more and be more creative. Some great stuff came out of Sega's internal teams with the Dreamcast, and that was a result of a drive to make the Dreamcast stand-out from the competition and the arcade-heavy Saturn.

Such a move would be less risky for Nintendo as well, as they always have guaranteed multi-million sellers like Smash Bros. to fall back on which Sega never had. And the Revolution's controller means people will be more open to new ideas/franchises I would think.

But ultimately it killed SEGA as a console manufacturer. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Nintendo. While they don't always get it right, they've got a (relatively) good track record of making good hardware (except Virtual Boy, cartridge based N64, N64 controller, and a few other things) and I like that they're the odd-man-out in the industry.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
they really should declare gamecube a failure and just save zelda for the rev launch. that and SSBM as launch titles, along with something that really showcases the new controller and that should equal some decent sales.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Or they could release it on the GCN, make money, then bundle it with the Revolution.

jedimike

For the record, I think Revolution is going to be a break-out console for Nintendo. The biggest problem with GC, was lack of identity. They weren't in the same category as PS2/Xbox, yet the offered the same type of games. With the new controller, they will have their own identity and games that can only be played on Revolution.

That being said, releasing Zelda in April and Revolution is June certainly has to be near the top of Nintendo's "Dumbest Decisions" list. The boost the title would give to Rev certainly has to rank higher than trying to gain profit from the comatose GC.

goomba

Banned
Im hoping Zelda TP will be a gamecube game that have "freehand" gameplay enhancements when played on the revolution.

Mihail

Banned
Deg said:
I would never buy Zelda if it was on revolution. My GC is still with me collecting dust.
Tsk, tsk. You should be playing F-Zero GX and Super Monkey Ball -- always room for improving your skilliage.

genjiZERO

Fuzzy said:
Or they could release it on the GCN, make money, then bundle it with the Revolution.

... and I want a pony. This would be great but would never happen.

If Rev is going to be successful Nintendo needs to offer both games that take advantage of the controller and offer traditional games. Zelda TP updated for Rev could fill the niche perfectly.

methodman

Banned
yeah my gc is sitting there, dusty as fuck. Still working btw (unlike my ps2 haha).

I sort of hope they just have a sticker on Zelda which says "Playable with Revolution" or some bull like that. But seriously i think they delayed it cuz it just wasn't up to the par they wanted it to be. Like WW's triforce hunt (and 2 dungeons that ended up not being in the gaem :( ).

Mihail

Banned
Why did you guys buy GameCubes... for the promise of games? You should only buy a console when you're sure it has enough software to justify its purchase. That will take care of all that dusty console business.

And how the hell do you guys play games? Do you just beat them and forget them? For shame, gamers, for thou hastvest trulity losteth thy wayethes.

Triumph

Banned
Mihail said:
Why did you guys buy GameCubes... for the promise of games? You should only buy a console when you're sure it has enough software to justify its purchase. That will take care of all that dusty console business.

And how the hell do you guys play games? Do you just beat them and forget them? For shame, gamers, for thou hastvest trulity losteth thy wayethes.
See, with video game consoles I operate under the theory that games will be released for it. Apparently Nintendo wanted to prove that theory wrong this gen. Mission accomplished!

Raiden

Banned
yoopoo said:
I hope Nintendo keeps the Revolution name, it already is a better brand than the GC was.
Yeah i wonder what they'll call it, but just incase they keep it they DO have to get rid of the awfull logo.

Mihail

Banned
Raoul Duke said:
See, with video game consoles I operate under the theory that games will be released for it. Apparently Nintendo wanted to prove that theory wrong this gen. Mission accomplished!
I operate under the theory that all movies should be entertaining. That doesn't mean I'll buy The Mask 2: Son of the Mask on DVD.

Triumph

Banned
Mihail said:
I operate under the theory that all movies should be entertaining. That doesn't mean I'll buy The Mask 2: Son of the Mask on DVD.
Yeah, but really the one to compare it to is "I operate under the theory that movies will come out in a steady, normal fashion." Another good one is "Movies will not be understandable by all ages- some movies will be suitable for an adult audience only."

terrene

Banned
AniHawk said:
If it had anything to do with Revolution, maybe they're putting some hidden Revolution-control mechanism in there, but I doubt they'd port it.
I kinda wish they would. It's the only Gamecube game left that I want to buy and that spot in my TV setup is just gathering dust. Plus, the graphics look okay in screenshots, but I saw a demo at a GC kiosk and the textures were really sad-looking. Revo upgade FTW!

Mihail

Banned
How dare you point out my straw man arguments?

Nah, you're right. My personal philosophy is not to buy consoles until the software justifies the purchase, but I can certainly appreciate the excitement of being an early adopter.

Flo_Evans

Mihail said:

So you are saying that none of us should of even bought the cube, meaning even less games would come out for it?

You sir should go work for nintendo! They could use a sharp mind like yours to help them further fade into insignificance!

AniHawk

terrene said:
I kinda wish they would. It's the only Gamecube game left that I want to buy and that spot in my TV setup is just gathering dust. Plus, the graphics look okay in screenshots, but I saw a demo at a GC kiosk and the textures were really sad-looking. Revo upgade FTW!

Well if they were fully upgrading it, they would probably have had to have started immediately after E3 to make it for Revolution launch.

methodman

Banned
Whoa whoa whoa, I wasn't saying that my Gamecube purchase wasn't justified, cause it was.

Ps2, on the other hand, wouldn't recognize any DVD games, so I only actually played GTA3. THe thing ended up not being able to read any game last year :(

I've played all the great games on the ps2 at my friends though, but I still havn't played SoTC, and I probably won't until PS3 comes out and i get it for that.

callous

Mihail said:

:lol

About Europe, if Nintendo doesn't step up its marketing here for Revolution, it could be the second coming of Christ and it still wouldn't sell because no one would know about it. A one-week TV campaign on 2-3 channels for a single game once every 8 months does not cut it. They need to step it up by a factor of about a hundred. I don't think any console will sell by word of mouth against the PS3 here (or even against the PS2).

The sad thing is (sad in terms of how clueless they apparently are), it'll probably be GameCube all over when it comes to marketing. As someone said, nonexistent.

Polari

jedimike said:
That being said, releasing Zelda in April and Revolution is June certainly has to be near the top of Nintendo's "Dumbest Decisions" list. The boost the title would give to Rev certainly has to rank higher than trying to gain profit from the comatose GC.

It is admirable that they're giving GC owners one final hurrah before moving on to bigger and better things though.

Also, who knows? It may just work out for them; after all Revolution is backwards compatible with the Gamecube and Revolution is supposed to be a "reboot". I think launching with one of Nintendo's most famous franchises in a form that's a tide-over from Gamecube, sends the wrong message when it comes to Revolution.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
MS lost 4 Billion trying to win over "mindshare" which they arguably did to an extent but lets not make it look like some land-slide victory when compared to Gamecube. Both those consoles sold like crap compared to the N64 let alone the Playstation.

goomba

Banned
Im pretty sure they will outsell gamecube, the new audience combined with the existing nintenut audience will make it so.

Doubt they will outsell X360 or PS3 however.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
After MS had some early moderate success, J. Allard claimed that selling 3 million consoles was easy (due to the hardcore gamers buying launch consoles) and that selling the next 100 million would be much more difficult. (He didn't allude to just Xbox, more of an implication that MS was in the business for the long run and would have an Xbox 2, 3, 4, etc.)
The quote was in relation to Xbox 1. Allard said selling the first 3 million was easy, it was the next 100 million they were going to have to "fight for" or something to that effect. It was still taken, by the media, as an expectation by Microsoft (Alleard being a MS rep) of 103 million Xboxes to be sold though.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I found it cool that Iwata admitted that Yamauchi had absolutely nothing to do with the controller design and construction. Looks the the Revolution will be the first Nintendo system free of that old mans grasp. :D

Ark-AMN said:
I found it cool that Iwata admitted that Yamauchi had absolutely nothing to do with the controller design and construction. Looks the the Revolution will be the first Nintendo system free of that old mans grasp. :D
having Yamauchi involved isn't such a bad thing you know.

who's idea do you think DS was after all?

Top Bottom