• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Unsure if Watch Dogs will be 720p or 1080p on PS4/X1; confirms 30fps

That Watch Dogs news just keeps coming today.
Watch Dogs will run at 30FPS on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, creative director Jonathan Morin has told VideoGamer.com.

"Right now the frame rate we're focusing on [is] a steady 30[FPS]," said Morin speaking to us at Eurogamer Expo this afternoon. "There's always a balance, especially for open world, between the simulation and the rest.

"I think for where we are, the most important thing is the steadiness and [ensuring] that it's always capped the same so when you play it it feels right."

Despite confirming the frame rate, though, Morin could not confirm the game's native resolution on next-gen platforms, claiming that he didn't know whether the game would run at 720p or 1080p.
Thanks Videogamer

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The magic of cross gen.

Cross gen, open world, launch title from Ubisoft releasing on six platforms. The number of things this game has against it in terms of tech is remarkable.

That said, I think the game itself could be really cool.

720p XB1, 1080p PS4 amirite? ;)

EDIT: Seriously though, that's pretty disappointing if true considering its been in development for like 4 years specifically aiming for next gen to come out and for it to hit 720p/30fps... ouch (game still looks cool though)

Recall

If this game winds up being 720p on next gen they're going to face some serious wrath.

Gameplay is gameplay and we survived so far. I'm aware FPS is important to most but I can always deal with 30 FPS.

I don't think the early years of these consoles lives will be pushing the capabilities of them, we will see optimisations much later.

The visual downgrade of this game has been stunning to watch. I also think it's funny to hear them "confirm" 30 fps. That should be the absolute bare minimum goal, so 'confirming" it is rather weird. It's like confirming it's going to have surround sound.

Really?

I'm starting to lose some hope for the prospects of next-gen.

This has nothing to do with console power. It has everything to do with hurrying to meet a hard deadline, and having to cut corners along the way.

pixlexic

Banned
I think it is painfully obvious that a lot these early games .. Even some next hen exclusives .. Started life targeting 3.2 ghz CPUs. The conversion over to not really on the CPU as much will take some time.

MarkusRJR

I seriously can't wait for the DF comparisons for these launch day PS4/Xbone games. As someone who doesn't have any major interest in either of them (and won't getting one until next year) it'll be the best part of their launches. I can foresee the meltdowns and salt on both sides.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The magic of cross gen.

the limitations of a cross gen game should be visible through its compromised ambition; with the benefit being that it runs like a dream on moderate hardware (see the last four years of PC multiplats).

Usobuko

Banned
Well played Ubisoft, only a tiny fraction of people who had PO the game on next gen console will know the news at this stage.

Ubersnug

The obsession people are having over what resolution a game will display in, even to the point of influencing their buying habits is baffling to me. Surely, if the game runs silky smooth and looks great, why should a drop in res affect my enjoyment of the game?

Ravek

Banned
I'm not a 1080p/60fps lover like most of GAF, but the fucking game is coming out in a couple months. How is this still up in the air? Can someone enlighten me?

Tsundere

Banned
Despite confirming the frame rate, though, Morin could not confirm the game's native resolution on next-gen platforms, claiming that he didn't know whether the game would run at 720p or 1080p.

That's probably where the difference will be.

Cider X

Played it a few days ago on what I was told was a devkit and the framerate was unlocked... It couldnt maintain a constant 60 but it wasn't too bad.

Valnen

30 FPS is fine for an open world game, but I'm calling bullshit on the fact that he "doesn't know" what resolution it's running at. They just don't want people cancelling their preorders.

Regardless of how bad this is on consoles though, I'm never playing another Ubisoft game on PC again after dealing with how broken Splinter Cell: Conviction is thanks to Uplay not playing nice with Steam.

Top Bottom