• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Unsure if Watch Dogs will be 720p or 1080p on PS4/X1; confirms 30fps

brobban

Completely subjective.

GTAV runs @ 30 fps (mostly). Not sure what resolution its at, whether its 720p or less (probably less) but the game looks stunning to me.

Yeah, more FPS and more res would be great, but will the less of one dictate whether I pick it up or not? OF course not....

It really doesn't

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Completely subjective.

GTAV runs @ 30 fps (mostly). Not sure what resolution its at, whether its 720p or less (probably less) but the game looks stunning to me.

Yeah, more FPS and more res would be great, but will the less of one dictate whether I pick it up or not? OF course not....

and if you were locked in a basement with just an n64 for the last fifteen years it'd look even better.

Riky

$MSFT
Was intending to get on PS4 for the extra content, still thinking that way if 1080p@30fps but if it is 720p then maybe my PC would perform better, 7870, Phenom II X4 955 and 8gb ram?

:/

:(

pretty much the only launch game for next gen that i'm a bit curious... hmmm... I might still just get it on ps4 because... vita remote play... but if I learn that a mid tier gaming pc can 1080p 60fps this game...

Chamber

love on your sleeve

iMmQhs07kWi8E.png

Zornack

Completely subjective.

1080p looking better than 720p is not subjective.

Good thing about PC is, if the game isn't as optimized as it could be, tweakers will find ways to make the game run better. But since WD is apart of nvidias promo, correct me if I'm wrong, it should run fine on PC.

Paskil

Glad I cancelled my preorder. No excuse for that game to not be 1080p/60fps.

There are plent of valid excuses for an open world game not being 60fps. What was the last open world game you played at 60FPS outside of PC? Do you think Witcher 3 or The Order is going to be 60FPS? If so, you're in for some disappointment. There's a difference between running down a corridor and true open world.

Why do people keep pulling the "cross gen" card? I thought the PS4/XB1 versions were PC ports. The PC version will definitely be 1080p and probably 60fps (maybe not that) so it's not really a valid excuse

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
"Despite confirming the frame rate, though, Morin could not confirm the game's native resolution on next-gen platforms, claiming that he didn't know whether the game would run at 720p or 1080p."

Platform holders should set 1080p as a requirement.

Platform holders should let people do whatever they want and ignore the whiners and pixel-counters who believe that resolution is the be-all and end-all of visual quality.

Durante

So I guess you'll need even more for WD at those settings... (Obviously depending on the PC port quality)
Most likely. However, I'm also quite certain that maxed settings on PC will be higher in aspects other than framerate and resolution than on any console. (e.g. LOD distance, shadow filtering and resolution)

I'm guessing this uplay exclusive on PC?
You mean in terms of distribution or integration? Because the latter is true for any Ubisoft game going forward.

komplanen

Still gonna be high-end gaming PC for multi-plats and consoles for exclusives and perhaps those few rare multi-plats that have issues on PC with cheating etc. Kinda shame but who was I kidding thinking I'd have any reason to do otherwise :-(

Still excited for Watch Dogs though :p

what? PS4 should be able to run it 1080@30fps steady, get your shit together Ubi :mad:

Should be able to run what?

People in the thread are so obsessed with resolution and frame rate is that they are not asking other questions. If the trade of is a lower res and 30 FPS, just exactly how much is going on at any time in one frame? Draw distance? Amount of geometry and textures?

I know it is fun to pick on resolution and frame rate but seriously at least one real question has to pop up.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PC version it is then. Buying a console at launch is becoming less and less appealing.

Unless you're like most of the modern world and don't even have a PC to run these games or just simply doesn't want to deal with PC. I don't have that problem with my PC but I don't know anyone who has a rig that can run games well.

Valnen

It's an open world game? /excuse

Open world is an excuse for 30 FPS, I'll give you that. What I won't give you is <1080p. If this game can't pull off 1080p, how come Infamous can? It's open world, has better graphics than this after the downgrades it's gotten, and is native 1080p.

I hope nobody is surprised by this news.

Just because it's an upscaled current gen game doesn't mean anything. They just throw in more effects to justify it being on next gen hardware until it's 30 fps.

Doesn't matter if it's PS4,5,6 or 7, 30 fps will always be the case on consoles.

ekim

Most likely. However, I'm also quite certain that maxed settings on PC will be higher in aspects other than framerate and resolution than on any console. (e.g. LOD distance, shadow filtering and resolution)

I really wanted the next gen versions to look like the initial reveal. I knew this won't happen from the first gameplay bits we have seen afterwards but 720@~30fps is another downer now.

I understand that framerate isn't everything, but does anyone else get the feeling that these consoles already seem old? Not as excited this coming generation as I have been I past console iterations. It's really bumming me out guys.

kewlmyc

This was the game I was looking forward to most on PS4. Guess it worked out that I cancelled my PS4 console preorder and decided to get this game on PC instead.

rezn0r

PC version it is then. Buying a console at launch is becoming less and less appealing.

my thoughts exactly, damn. not too interested in any of the next gen launch exclusives, it was this and assassin's creed (really prefer AC on console... but this I might as well just play on PC)

ekim

I cant see MS letting the PS4 have a framerate and res advantage.

If Xbone is 720 MS will make sure they make the PS4 version the same

I don't think so - WD has the PS4 as lead-marketing platform. If they will be able to pull a higher res on PS4 they will do that.

But so many gaf members told me we would see a significant difference in fps between the two consoles on the third party games.

How many devs actually have unlocked framerates in consoles nowadays?

If there was ever anything that would take a hit between multiplats due to difference in power, it would be graphical effects, resolution, those kind of stuff.

A dev would have to be downright retarded to let fps go wild wild west.

I don't know who those GAF members are, but you aren't doing any favours by getting yourself all hot and bothered by those GAFers who tell you those kind of things, and posting that line just for spite's sake.

kudoboi

Ubisoft games usually have a pretty mediocre performance on PC. Since they're developing this game for six different platforms with an unrewarding deadline I wouldn't be surprised if all versions leave a lot to be desired. I expect this game to be the biggest disappointment of next-gen launch titles.

Watch dogs is developed on PC then ported to consoles so PC will have the best performance since it won't be a port.

So to those wondering about the PC quality, it will be the best.
http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/27/watch-dogs-pc-is-lead-platform/

I'm guessing this uplay exclusive on PC?

It will be coming to Steam and Origin but will need uplay DRM

ymmv

Banned
I cant see MS letting the PS4 have a framerate and res advantage.

If Xbone is 720 MS will make sure they make the PS4 version the same

How? Do you actually believe MS will pay Ubisoft to make the PS4 version worse? And Sony will be fine with that and not throw their legal department at Ubisoft when such a thing would happen?

Top Bottom