• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Unsure if Watch Dogs will be 720p or 1080p on PS4/X1; confirms 30fps

:/

:(

pretty much the only launch game for next gen that i'm a bit curious... hmmm... I might still just get it on ps4 because... vita remote play... but if I learn that a mid tier gaming pc can 1080p 60fps this game...

Well .. again ... I could run Watch Dogs on a 8 year old PC @ 1080p x 60fps, but I would basically have to turn off every single feature.

If you mean playing the game at say .. High settings, no. Expect 30fps, always.

Just go look at Benchmarks of the 7850 / 7870 to get a general clue as to what to expect. Ultra / 1080p for newer games will not yield you 60fps with those cards without compromises.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Huh? Most of the modern world doesn't have a pc that could play this game, but will have a PS4/Xbox One? Most of the modern world will not have either next gen console.

If you want the best experience not just on this game but EVERY multiplat game over the next gen, get a pc. It's that simple. Might set you back a little more than a PS4 or Xbox One, but it'll pay dividends in the end. The reduced cost of games alone should easily make up the added cost of a pc over the course of a year.

You read right. The next gen consoles will be a lot cheaper and easier to work than many people investing in a PC or building one. I know the benefits first hand but the casual mainstream fan just wants the ease of a console.

So I'd recommend the PS4/Xbone version first before PC to most of my friends. It's not some bias as I know the PC versions are better day and night. It is what it is.

I don´t exactly know in which phase of game development the resolution is set, but I think it should be known now.

Maybe it is more of a "political problem" as some anonymous dev stated a while ago.

Likely known, but they aren't saying. They gave a range so that a 900p announcement won't be a total loss. I also think they'll delay any discussion of any differences between the X1 and PS4 until release. They don't want to start a fire that they can't put out.

How long till they have to go gold? How can something so important still be in the air?

Also, does this confirm that everything we've seen of the game so far has been on "specced" PCs? 'Cause I'm pretty sure we haven't seen 720p content from this game.

ymmv

Banned
Notting dumb like that. I am saying Microsoft could require framerate / resolution parity with PS4 for all multiplat games. Not just going after it on a game by game basis.

I bet this would be against the law. You can't force another company to hinder your competitor like that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If/when the Steamboxes run these multiplatform with the highest settings, people will start doubting what to buy next gen, don't you think?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This is an absolute joke. I hope people don't support this nonsense. I'd really like to know what's holding back PS4 version, because I'm sure that it has the power to handle 1080p/30.

Deadlines I'm guessing. Seems to be an issue with games coming to 5 or 6 different platforms and porting assets around amongst them. I'm a bit nervous for all the multiplatform titles to be honest.

Durante

I think people are considering this too much like a binary choice (either 720p or 1080p). It's far more likely to end up somewhere in between if they have trouble hitting 1080p30.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yes but according to countless threads and posters on here. PS4 is easy to program for and has loads of power. Surely 1080p at 60fps should be easy on that platform.

Maybe there are getting bound by something they are having trouble optimizing, like the CPU, that is causing second order effects.

Really sounds like they are having a bottleneck issue they can't solve here as much as they keep cutting back.

Durante

If/when the Steamboxes run these multiplatform with the highest settings, people will start doubting what to buy next gen, don't you think?
Maybe, but the model of Steambox that runs them at highest settings will likely also be more expensive than consoles.

You get what you pay for, which is more or less already the case now.

Glad I cancelled my preorder. No excuse for that game to not be 1080p/60fps.

I did a while ago too. Between the decidedly bland look of the world, my complete lack of faith in Ubisoft having a good control scheme (I really don't like AC), and now what appears to be technical shortcomings, I've little interest in Watch Dogs.

I'm going to wait this one out. If it turns out to be good and they give it the boost in performance is deserves on next gen, I'll consider it, but I'm certainly not giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Durante

Maybe there are getting bound by something they are having trouble optimizing, like the CPU, that is causing second order effects.
It's extremely hard to think of a scenario where a CPU bottleneck would force you to reduce your rendering resolution. It's one of the most CPU-independent factors in game performance I can think of.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
So the ps4 demo at E3 wasn't a real PS4 demo?
Are Digital Foundry comparing the PC version with the PC version here? http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-watch-dogs-on-ps4-tech-analysis

Ubisoft has already admitted all footage has been from PC so far.

Yes but according to countless threads and posters on here. PS4 is easy to program for and has loads of power. Surely 1080p at 60fps should be easy on that platform.

Please don't do that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Should be able to run what?

People in the thread are so obsessed with resolution and frame rate is that they are not asking other questions. If the trade of is a lower res and 30 FPS, just exactly how much is going on at any time in one frame? Draw distance? Amount of geometry and textures?

I know it is fun to pick on resolution and frame rate but seriously at least one real question has to pop up.
Interviewer- "How much is going on at any time in one frame? Draw distance? Amount of geometry and textures?"

Jonathan Morin- "Uhhh..."

Whatever, already lost interest in this game the moment it appeared obvious that the E3 presentation was actually all scripted smoke and mirrors.

ekim

Might want to throw this in:
untitled8vs8b.png

So it's pretty much possible that everything we have seen so far ran on a PC. :-/

Krakn3Dfx

Why would the CPU limit the resolution? The EDGE articled already warned us:

• PS4 easy to develop for, 1080p 30fps
  • Xbox One's eSRAM problems, pain in the ass to develop for, 900p 20-something fps
  • Potential risk for PS4 version to be held back due to political reasons

If the third thing happens, it's not going to happen across the board, so the companies doing it are quickly going to be called out on it IMO. Should be interesting next year when multiplat games not being worked up on to the launch wire start coming out.

The case for these new systems just isn't very strong. How is it 7-8 years later, we're not even hitting 1080p. I'm sure this will be 900p or some other such bullshit.

K' Dash

Should be able to run what?

People in the thread are so obsessed with resolution and frame rate is that they are not asking other questions. If the trade of is a lower res and 30 FPS, just exactly how much is going on at any time in one frame? Draw distance? Amount of geometry and textures?

I know it is fun to pick on resolution and frame rate but seriously at least one real question has to pop up.

What? of course I want my games to look better and have good perfomance, why should I take their sorry ass excuses for lazy optimization? fuck that, the machine is more than capable.

I wanted to try this with my PS4 but I feel I should just brute force it with my PC, ugh.

You read right. The next gen consoles will be a lot cheaper and easier to work than many people investing in a PC or building one. I know the benefits first hand but the casual mainstream fan just wants the ease of a console.

So I'd recommend the PS4/Xbone version first before PC to most of my friends. It's not some bias as I know the PC versions are better day and night. It is what it is.

I don't see price being hugely different to buy a pc versus buying a PS4 or Xbox One. If you find a good deal you can easily build or buy a pc that at least matches the performance of either next gen console for under $1,000. So a bit more, but factor in all the savings on games. Whereas you'll be spending $60 on the console version, you can easily find the pc version for $10-20 less on the day of release. $10 savings is standard, but we've seen much bigger discounts of $20-30. That adds up.

Bgamer90

Banned
A bit disappointing but still hyped for the game.

Feel bad for people getting the game on current gen consoles -- not a good sign if they have to make compromises for the next gen version.

shandy706

Why do people keep pulling the "cross gen" card? I thought the PS4/XB1 versions were PC ports. The PC version will definitely be 1080p and probably 60fps (maybe not that) so it's not really a valid excuse

PC games have absolutely NO preset framerate and/or resolution.

You only see that on consoles.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Let's not go full on fool here.

I don't see price being hugely different to buy a pc versus buying a PS4 or Xbox One. If you find a good deal you can easily build or buy a pc that at least matches the performance of either next gen console for under $1,000. So a bit more, but factor in all the savings on games. Whereas you'll be spending $60 on the console version, you can easily find the pc version for $10-20 less on the day of release. $10 savings is standard, but we've seen much bigger discounts of $20-30. That adds up.

I certainly do when I tell my family which platforms to get their games on unless they have money to build a PC then I recommend it.

Consoles turn on in the press of a button and children can navigate. PC is not that platform for my kids to tinker with. This is coming from a PC enthusiast.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Really. What's that about?

Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it.
The policy of requesting to have a game on X360 launched no later than the other versions is quite the same with a hypothetical request to have the games on Xbone running at list the same as on the other consoles.

That wouldn't be a new low for Microsoft. :lol:

Salex_

Why are people pinning down both next gen consoles because of ONE game? inFamous is 1080p and currently running around 50 FPS from the last footage we saw. Let's hear what Watch Dogs'resolution actually is before overreacting.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The policy of requesting to have a game on X360 launched no later than the other versions is quite the same with a hypothetical request to have the games on Xbone running at list the same as on the other consoles.

That wouldn't be a new low for Microsoft. :lol:

I can understand the launch date piece. But I simply don't believe any platform holder could enforce a 3rd party to deliberately gimp another platform holders product.

Skilletor

Why are people pinning down both next gen consoles because of ONE game? inFamous is 1080p and currently running around 50 FPS from the last footage we saw. Let's hear what Watch Dogs'resolution actually is before overreacting.

Because, if this generation is any indication, first party efforts are not indicative of third party efforts.

Preorder canceled, and the same goes for any dev out there still making 720p games. If you can't hit 1080p30 then you should probably get better employees Ubi, these guys are incompetent. Sad too because this was the only game I was gonna buy at PS4 launch.

Top Bottom