• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN account just got hacked

Shaneus

Figured I'd put this out there, see if anyone else copped the same: Noticed that a few hours ago, I received an email from Sony saying my password had successfully been changed, not unlike what I experienced with Origin a short while ago:
kYJ3g5R.png

(Tops work, Sony. If I didn't request a change, why give me a contact address after the fact?)

Two hours after, this:
wGyXhDe.png

Then a short time after, this:
K35yYee.png

I don't know that if I hadn't changed my password if I prevented any further purchases (not with $1.44 now left in my PSN wallet) but I'm damn glad I didn't have my credit card details associated with my account... otherwise I would've been fucked.

Anyone else had this happen recently (or ever)?

Edit: BTW I noticed that some extra consoles had been "authorised" on my account as well. I've gone and disabled everything associated with my account just to be safe. And yes, obviously I've raised a support case, but I'm not expecting much considering it's 1am and I couldn't contact any other support area other than the Australian one.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Is your originn password the same as your psn one?

And they gave you that contact info for a reason. Contact them and see if you can get your account back/get a refund.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
(Tops work, Sony. If I didn't request a change, why give me a contact address after the fact?)

Technically, pretty much every service in existence on the internet sends you an email with a message to contact support if you didn't actually request the password change, its not just Sony.

Shaneus

Is your account connected to an Hotmail email address? Did you use a unique password for it?
Nooope, a Gmail one (with 2-pass authentication).

Why is it always FIFA related!
God knows. Even though nothing FIFA-related happened to my Origin account, my avatar was changed to that of some soccer player :/

Did you call Sony support?
Updated the OP, emailed them. No phone calls right now, too damn late.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont understand this, what do you mean with "after the fact"? Someone got into your account, changed the password and that e-mail is a notification of password change. How could you get this noticification before it happened?

Sucks that your account was hacked :(

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Seriously, I need to know too. What's up with FIFA and hacking? It's always the same freaking thing? FIFA hackers. All the time.

Shaneus

I dont understand this, what do you mean with "after the fact"? Someone got into your account, changed the password and that e-mail is a notification of password change. How could you get this noticification before it happened?

Sucks that your account was hacked though :(
I could get the email asking me to click a link to change the password. That's what happened when I changed it back.

Seriously, I need to know too. What's up with FIFA and hacking? It's always the same freaking thing? FIFA hackers. All the time.
I think it's because the "FIFA points" can be transferred between accounts (and possibly back to real-world cashola?), hence it has a kind of worth.

hawk2025

Wait, how did someone activate multiple consoles? You can only have two at a time, and from my understanding yours is still activated?

Zomba13

:( that sucks

If you contact Sony there is a good chance they won't do anything. You won't get a refund and if you do manage to get control of the account back and change the pass etc if you file a charge back with you bank (only way you'd get the money back) Sony will ban the PSN account.

test_account

XP-39C²
I could get the email asking me to click a link to change the password. That's what happened when I changed it back.
Oh, like that. Is this what the 2-pass/factor thing is about? That you need to click on a link to change your password?

And did you have to do this when you changed your password back? If so, strange that it didnt happen the first time when the hackers did it. I'd assume that the password change is the same in both cases.

hawk2025

If you contact Sony there is a good chance they won't do anything. You won't get a refund and if you do manage to get control of the account back and change the pass etc if you file a charge back with you bank (only way you'd get the money back) Sony will ban the PSN account.

I've never heard of this happening. As far as I know, they always return your money.

Jack_AG

Banned
Sony needs to add two factor
Yep. I use Google Authenticator whenever I can link that shit. Another GREAT feature is unique login ID that IS NOT YOUR FUCKING EMAIL ADDRESS. This way you can have a different ID and PW everywhere instead of the same email address as login for everything. I'm surprised 99% of everything with a login doesn't do this.

FeiRR

Banned
Figured I'd put this out there, see if anyone else copped the same: Noticed that a few hours ago, I received an email from Sony saying my password had successfully been changed, not unlike what I experienced with Origin a short while ago:

The previous case suggests that somebody has been in posession of your data (login/email/password, who knows) for almost a year. I'd suggest you change passwords for all your vital accounts and cancel any CC you have (if used them online). You have been hacked and those two cases are just the results of that.

Was that Google account associated with both Origin and PSN? Were the passwords actual words? Unfortunately, you have to worry much more than about your PSN wallet and account, sorry OP.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if this is still the same exploit as this one:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430574

Doesn't look like it. I just checked the SEN page, you tell them you forgot a password, and while they ask for an email and birthday, they still have to email you a confirmation email with a link to actually let you change the password.

EDIT: Doh wait, maybe it is? Forgot you did get the confirmation email too.

Shaneus

No chargeback, it was only PSN wallet funds that were pinched. If my CC info was on there I would've been even more screwed.

Darkgran

This is why after some thought I'm not going PS4 next gen....

I honestly don't know why people trust and love Sony so much on this board. After all they were responsible for the biggest security breach this generation and PSN was down for 2 months...

Shaneus

The previous case suggests that somebody has been in posession of your data (login/email/password, who knows) for almost a year. I'd suggest you change passwords for all your vital accounts and cancel any CC you have (if used them online). You have been hacked and those two cases are just the results of that.

Was that Google account associated with both Origin and PSN? Were the passwords actual words? Unfortunately, you have to worry much more than about your PSN wallet and account, sorry OP.
Previous case was pretty well documented (although not proven) to be an issue with EA/Origin's methods for resetting passwords. I can only assume the same thing happened with this, which is why I never got an email asking IF I wanted to change my password, just that I had (which would be the case if it happened over the phone).

I think my only option is to change my DOB.

BTW Neither of those accounts had my credit card associated with them, so I'm all good as far as that goes. And like I said, with my email, if someone's hacking it they'd need access to the one device that can generate verification codes (my iPhone, right in my jeans pocket) or a device that's already been authorised to access my email account (my iPad or my home PC, neither of which would've been available for them to access).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

I honestly don't know why people trust and love Sony so much on this board. After all they were responsible for the biggest security breach this generation and PSN was down for 2 months...

I hope you're not getting any consoles except a Wii U then. I don't think I've recalled any breaches on their system

test_account

XP-39C²

These FIFA hacks have been a lot more rapid on Xbox 360, at least if previous thread on NeoGAF about it is anything to go by. I wouldnt get a Xbox One either if that is a concern.

Alec

Whenever a new PS3 uses my PSN account, if they can't verify my credit card info, it usually allows them to log in but strips the payment information off the account.

I assume this was done through the PSN webstore?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They kinda do. You can't access credit card information on another console without re-entering it. If you fail to do so, the credit card is deleted from the account.

I didn't know this, that's cool. But still need something for logins too

I think the FIFA hack thing is much more common on Xbox, at least I've only ever seen it on Xbox before. This is the 1st time I've seen it on the PS3.

Derrick01

Banned

Guess you're not buying an Xbox either as the Fifa hacks have been happening constantly on 360 for years and neither MS or EA does shit about it.

Moosehole

PSN was not down for 2 months.

hawk2025

Do you have any idea just how prevasive the FIFA hacks are on the 360?

And worse, when it happens you are locked out of your account for weeks while MS investigates, which is terrible.

I suggest you go Nintendo-only, if this is your main concern.

Joni

Two important things:
- Was it the same mail/password as your Origin?
- Are you sure the first password changed mail came from Sony?

I didn't know this, that's cool. But still need something for logins too
Would be nice indeed.

Sucks that your account was hacked :(

He should've received an email confirming the password change. Not change the password and then send the email.

Sorry to hear it. This spurned me to update my SEN password to something more secure. So maybe some good will come of the whole thing if it helps save a couple accounts over time.

Riiight.

Top Bottom