• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 bluetooth remote?

dock

We all know what the most important controller was for the PS3.

IHhhOEd.png

Has there been any information on the remote control for the PS4?

I was hoping for something more akin to the Apple Remotes, and ideally bundled into every box. It makes such a huge difference for things like Netflix and even browsing the PSN store. The remote doesn't need to be as big and ridiculous as this (no remote does), but using a two handed gamepad to control video content is pretty uncomfortable and annoying.

I'm also curious as to whether they'll offer something for the PS Vita TV. Seems ridiculous to have a 'TV' branded box, intended largely for video streaming, but have no 'TV style' remote control option.

Valnen

There's a crappy third party remote thing on Amazon bundled with some crappy headset but nothing official yet as far as I know.

How exactly is using a controller to control stuff uncomfortable?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It probably wont be bundled in with the console:

IIRC, the originally PS3 remote came out a month after launch. I wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens again.

I was really hoping that my PS3 Logitech Harmony Adapter was going to work on the PS4, but since the stock PS3 remote won't work, I'm guessing the Harmony adapter won't either.

Hopefully they come up with something!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yoshida tweeted that it wouldnt work :( Hopefully theres a decent new one at launch

kadotsu

Banned
If you have a newer HDTV it might be good to look into controlling your PS4 over HDMI with your TV remote. It already saved me money on PS3.

dock

How exactly is using a controller to control stuff uncomfortable?
I don't think it's unreasonable to state that using a gamepad to control TV video output is less comfortable than a TV remote. Especially if you assume that one of your hands is unavailable for any reason.

If your right hand is wrapped around your significant other, imagine trying to pick up the PS3 controller with your left hand and then operating the controls.

The fact that the buttons are labelled makes a huge difference too.

FeiRR

Banned
As it was discussed in another thread, Bravia remotes work with PS3 through HDMI-CEC. Maybe they'll work with PS4 too.

I would assume that both remotes (they released a newer one with a Netflix button that has more TV-centric buttons, mainly for the 24" PlayStation 3D Display) will work since they're bluetooth. BUT, it wouldn't surprise me if they release a version for PS4 with more buttons (maybe a share button).

VanWinkle

I'm still so disappointed that the BD Remote doesn't work. I have both versions and the thing is INVALUABLE to me. I guess I'll have to just buy a new one if they offer a PS4 version, which they hopefully will.

I'm still so disappointed that the BD Remote doesn't work. I have both versions and the thing is INVALUABLE to me. I guess I'll have to just buy a new one if they offer a PS4 version, which they hopefully will.

Where/when was it confirmed that either remote is not compatible?

dock

Enable "control over HDMI" in system settings.
No extra remote required.
I'm glad it supports that. I wasn't aware that was a feature that newer TVs had.
My TV definitely does not have that.

I'd like to think that I shouldn't have to buy a new TV to have a decent remote control for the PS4.

dock

My guess is that the PS4 smartphone/tablet app will be used as a replacement for a physical media remote control
This still isn't as comfortable, not least of which because phones are often automatically locked. Typing in a pin code to pause a movie is a bit bleh.

graywolf323

sucks about the PS3 remote not working with it, but will Logitech Harmony remotes still work? :-s

the new smart control hub one doesn't even require the adapter they used to need for the PS3 since it has built in bluetooth

DFF5zYp.jpg

I hope the new one looks like the Bravia Smart Stick remote including the keyboard on the back.[/QUOTE]

OK now I want this. Screw you BR remote! :lol

bidaum

I kind of presumed that their smartphone app would act as a remote as well... Don't get me wrong though, I would prefer something as close to ps3 remote as possible in addition to that. The ps3 remote is one of the nicest remotes out there.

Control over HDMI will probably work so, for many it's not an issue. But I'd still like to see one. The updated PS3 one was better since it also had volume controls for TV. Only thing missing was illumination.

Yoshida tweeted that it wouldnt work :( Hopefully theres a decent new one at launch

That sucks. Yeah, I definitely like having a regular remote for when I'm watching BDs etc.

Edit: Yeah, katsubento and EdReedFan20, a backlit one this time would be awesome.

I hope the new one looks like the Bravia Smart Stick remote including the keyboard on the back.

That's surprisingly cool looking, had never seen that thing.

Top Bottom