• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve to hold Steam Dev Days conference in January (No Media).

BeH6KauCEAAB1LB.jpg

syko de4d

2.4mio users use the Steam Workshop to download mods for skyrim.

82milion downloads and 19,5k mods? Pretty small compared to nexus mods with 31k mods and 398milion downloads (yes these are the numbers for skyrim alone) :D

Looks like the most people haven´t even used the Steam Workshop to download mods.

Syf

Banned
2.4mio users use the direct mod downloads from steam.

82milion downloads and 19,5k mods? Pretty small compared to nexus mods with 31k mods and 398milion downloads (yes these are the numbers for skyrim alone) :D

Looks like the most people haven´t even used the Steam Workshop to download mods.
How long has the workshop been available versus nexus? (really don't know)

syko de4d

How long has the workshop been available versus nexus?

was workshop not already available when Skyrim launched? .... *google*

wikipedia say this

The Workshop was originally used for distribution of new items for Team Fortress 2,[67] the Workshop was revamped in early 2012 to extend support for any game, including mods for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

So workshop was ready some months after skyrim launch and i think there were not so many mods in the first months

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How long has the workshop been available versus nexus? (really don't know)
Nexus was there from release and has a pre-established community of uploaders and users who have used it since Oblivion or even prior. They had stuff up before the Creation Kit was even available IIRC.

"Got to play with CastAR last night at #SteamDevDays. No nausea, cheap, lightweight, low power...impressive in a different way from Oculus."

huh? didn't know they were there?

edit:

@Marlamin @jeriellsworth CastAR was adjacent to #SteamDevDays. :)

oh. smh

Tom Bui: You know that it's really bad when you dream about hats. #SteamDevDays

lol

this was from yesterday, wasn't posted because lack of #sdd, just saw it

"Really good talk on making decisions based on stats. At one point Valve tracked every bullet fired in CS:GO. Insanity!"

whoa

Sibylus

Banned
I wonder if the Source 2.0 revision will have any DirectX dependencies, or will it be full-blooded OpenGL on all three PC branches?

Reading some tweets, it seems full OGL.

This is pure speculation, but a developer did note on twitter a secret press release was given out that no one can share, any thoughts as to what it might be? Personally I hope it's a game to go along-side Source Engine 2 which was mentioned yesterday in their OpenGL talk. It could even be Left 4 Dead 3 which was outed by someone who visited their offices.

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/steam-dev-days-day-2-highlights.2956/

hmm? I don't recall seeing anything like this on twitter. Anyone?

can't find those tweets I mentioned btw :/ but I'm pretty sure I recall one of them saying something like Valve is finished with DX. At least with their new engine and onwards.

@DaveOshry
Played some Metro Last Light with the Steam Controller. THAT'S more like it. Super precise, easy to move, aim and shoot. #SteamDevDays

@DaveOshry
I can't play shooters with a controller worth a damn. Like, at all. But I can play pretty well with the Steam Controller. #SteamDevDays

@DaveOshry
Is the Steam Controller better for shooters than a basic 360 controller? I'd say so. It's no mouse & keyboard, but its closer! #SteamDevDays

Masses of people off to the VR demos session when the real useful stuff is in the other room with Nvidia talking about GL perf #SteamDevDays

lol, but shouldn't be a surprise :)

Valve has no plans to release their own VR hardware, but that could change, they say. #SteamDevDays

The PC is the only sensible place for VR due to 3D requirements. "That's where the most flops live", #steamdevdays

Valve thinks VR could evolve into a major platform. #SteamDevDays

Abrash tells us that real consumer VR will happen within probably 2 years #SteamDevDays

"VR will have a big impact sooner than you think." #SteamDevDays

BeIyTqnCMAI5pcs.jpg

BeIzCMaCQAEpPnX.jpg

BeIzDRSCYAErVhO.jpg

BeI00tiCEAArD5P.jpg

BeI2Ax5CQAAHvmV.jpg

Palmer says Valve's VR tech is the best virtual reality demo in the world right now. #SteamDevDays

Palmer says porting games to VR... doesn't usually work. #SteamDevDays #VR

VR, like all hardware is only as good as it's software #SteamDevDays

The best games for a platform are usually designed with the platform in mind. Truth. #SteamDevDays

BeI3oJmCAAAbpIy.jpg

BeI32AaCAAE5UA8.jpg

First step to port your game to VR? Don’t. VR is too different just like Mobile was too different. Most cases, it won’t work. #SteamDevDays

BeI4otbCQAE8Bq2.jpg

BeI46xlCYAAzvNH.jpg

BeI5nyECMAAy0GC.jpg

BeI6NxMCcAEB_T2.jpg

Palmer thinks people who can make experiences like THIS in VR will be crazy successful. #SteamDevDays

BeI7DL0CcAAX3b6.jpg

I feel a little sorry for the people having to follow @PalmerLuckey, he nailed it #SteamDevDays

Now I want to dust off my Oculus Dev kit. #steamdevdays is pretty damn motivational.

VR the most important invention of the human history? Only at #SteamDevDays :)

.@Oculus is going to change the world. If I had money I'd be investing in them right now #SteamDevDays

Palmer has crazy energy. Super animated. All over the stage. Probably the best speaker of #SteamDevDays.

Palmer Luckey & Occulus - immersive talk #SteamDevDays

syko de4d

so oculus in 2015 or soon after???? Thats a real bummer

edit: oh the last 2015 slide is from Abrash talk and not from palmer.... pheww..

Back to back VR talks by @PalmerLuckey & Michael Abrash have the hall abuzz with excitement at #steamdevdays

Man, I’m so pumped about VR now. Me and everyone else at this conference. #SteamDevDays

Palmer Luckeys @oculus presentation was utterly fantastic. Passion level for his job is thru the roof. Highlight of the conference so far!

I've been massively impressed.. Probably the highest value per minute of any conference I've attended in recent memory. An epic recharge.

#steamdevdays is not over just yet, but I can safely say it's been the best conference I've ever been to. By some margin.

The only thing #SteamDevDays is missing? Free pizza.

VR talks are very exciting but also have an unsettling tendency to feel like the prequel to The Matrix #SteamDevDays

else

Nvidia OpenGL talk was informative, but I’d like to see actual fallback code for non-Kepler hardware, esp. the shaders. #SteamDevDays

Sentenza

I'm not sure how much of this is "drinking the kool aid" or actual merit, but every single attender I'm reading on Twitter sounds extremely impressed with this conference so far, and a lot of them are praising Palmer Lucky's presentation in particular.

Yep, devs are enthusiastic. Great turnaround for Valve from their lackluster CES showing I must say. But this was a lot more important to them than some initial press opinions anyway.

Top Bottom