• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indecipherable GT metric irrefutably proves that the WiiU has bigger numbers than PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Another week, another opportunity to evaluate the state of social hype as we pick apart the GDEX to see which movers and shakers are making the most noise. The Pokemon crowd is collectively keeping their favorite franchise towards the top of the pack while GTA V's biggest competition is finally starting to fade. So, get your thumbs ready for some social reaction as we share this week's numerical notes courtesy of the GDEX.
• The release of Pokemon X & Y has kept Nintendo's famous franchise from falling out of the top five, but with the game just now having the opportunity to generate actual interactions from fans who've picked up the game, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, and GTA V might expect Pikachu and pals to catch em' all when it comes to next week's top spot. Do you think Pokemon has the power to outdo those heavy hitters??? Have you seen our review for Pokemon X & Y? If not, go ahead and check it out right here.
• WOW! Would you look at that! Nintendo's Wii U has made the full comeback and taken over the top slot in the console war – surpassing Sony's PlayStation 4 with 79 overall points on the GDEX this week. This is likely due to social chatter from fans of opposing consoles that are clogging the airwaves with negative sentiment regarding their preferred platform's primary competition. In other words – FANBOYS BE TALKIN' SMACK!!! While Microsoft and Sony fans duke it out in a war of words, Nintendo's Wii U has slid into the top spot, likely surprising the Big N itself as we ramp up towards the release of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
• The news isn't ALL good for Nintendo, who saw its upcoming brawler Super Smash Bros. get bounced 15 slots all the way down to the the 41st position. Meanwhile, PopCap can be proud of its purple pony who's ridden the social wave to land Peggle 2 up 17 positions to be ranked 67th on this week's GDEX chart.
• While Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto V remains on auto pilot in the top spot at the time of this report, it's closest competition, Saints Row IV, is finally taking a bit of a dip. Deep Silver's solid contender has been maintaining its fair share of social buzz, but this week it flirts with falling out of the Top 10 as it holds on to the number 9 spot on the GDEX. Which of these open-world games have you been playing the most? Let us know in the comments below!

Looks like GT is finally trying to give some context to the GDEX. Hopefully, they'll be more write ups on GDEX, if only to help archive and see if GDEX can actually predict how well a console is doing.
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mi...-position-while-the-wii-u-surpasses-sonys-ps4
K9OQvJJ.jpg

Tobor

That Wii U number sounds like Nintendo fans all right. They make a lot of noise but don't buy consoles.

FluxWaveZ

Uh... what's the problem here? It's meant to be an accurate indicator of video game hardware and software discussion on social networks. I don't see why this is supposed to be hilarious.

Busty

Banned
I don't have a pension.

I have a garage full of boxed Atari Jaguars.

One day their GDEX rating is going to soar and that's when I cash in.

CHA-CHING!

Like what I'm assuming is most of the people reading this thread, I had no idea what the hell GDEX is or why I should care about it. So I looked it up!

The dark personification of web 2.0 said:
Every day we talk a lot about games. We read about them. We watch videos about them. But which games are breaking through the clutter and becoming the talk of the Internet?

Welcome to GDEX, a new platform that tracks the social commentary about games and helps all of us understand the answer to that very question.

GDEX is powered by you, even though you don't know it. That comment you made this morning about The Last of Us on Twitter? Yep, that's already factored into the GDEX.

Built in partnership with Mass Relevance, GDEX scans over 500 million social media comments a day and uses those as the fuel for its fire. GDEX looks at what you publicly post about games on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Google+ and inputs those comments into a proprietary new algorithm.

That's a fancy way of explaining what you say on social media counts. Your words are translated into math that allows us to "score" the buzz around every game out of 100 and compare titles (and consoles) to each other. Because we're gamers and gamers like to keep score.

GDEX tracks how many times a game is mentioned on social media, but it also looks deeper. We look at the sentiment of conversation. Say something nice about a game and it will help the score increase; slam something and the opposite happens. And we even track how far your word travels. The social reach of what you say matters. So if you get a bunch of ReTweets on Twitter your voice gets louder in our index. Yes, the more people like you the more power you have. Welcome to life.

GDEX is a score but it's also a platform. The website lets you dive deep into games to see how a score has changed over time, or even look at the most re-tweeted comments about a title. You can even see if a game has more positive or negative sentiment and other data to help answer "Why" a game is getting a certain score. Don't like the score? Hate to break it to you but it's not us, it's you.

So talk about games on social media, and more importantly, tell us what you really think about those games. And come back to GDEX to see how a game's score changes over time, or watch if the Xbox One or the PlayStation 4 ultimately wins at E3.

GDEX - the social score for gaming.

Fuck you.

Into

This is great

We actually have legitimate sales data for the Wii U from Japan (weekly), US (monthly) and some European countries (weekly). And we know how the Wii U is doing.

Uh... what's the problem here? It's meant to be an accurate indicator of video game hardware and software discussion on social networks. I don't see why this is supposed to be hilarious.

And yet Xbox One and PS4 figures are exactly the same as they were last week while Wii U is just 1 digit higher than last week. Does that sound like an accuate indicator?

FluxWaveZ

And yet Xbox One and PS4 figures are exactly the same as they were last week while Wii U is just 1 digit higher than last week. Does that sound like an accuate indicator?

That's why I said it's "supposed" to be. What I'm not sure of is why the concept should be ridiculed, but it's another thing if it straight up doesn't work.

Jamix012

This is great

We actually have legitimate sales data for the Wii U from Japan (weekly), US (monthly) and some European countries (weekly). And we know how the Wii U is doing.

Now I'm just playing Devil's advocate here, but conversely we don't know how the Xbox One and PS4 are doing.

Dragon

Banned
Has GT gone into what actually makes up the number? Otherwise they're just gonna change it for hits. Which makes it as useless as it appears!

This seems like an incredibly broken system. What happens when something like Ride to Hell gets released and we are all talking about how shit it is? Does that mean it places higher than legitimately good games? Would it send the impression that people actually like that abortion soup?

Busty

Banned
GDEX looks at what you publicly post about games on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Google+ and inputs those comments into a proprietary new algorithm.

By 'proprietary new algorithm' I assume they mean migrant workers.

Darmik

Seems like a god way to measure what games and consoles people are talking about on social media. I'm not sure it's meant to mean anything else.

FluxWaveZ

This seems like an incredibly broken system. What happens when something like Ride to Hell gets released and we are all talking about how shit it is? Does that mean it places higher than legitimately good games? Would it send the impression that people actually like that abortion soup?

Is the system claiming that it's an indicator of a game's quality or sales?

Alebrije

Their propietary new algorithm is mágical

Remember, it's also a platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom