• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo still taking down youtube content with copyright claims?

jabuseika

Seriously, what is wrong with Nintendo?

At what point do youtube content creators just boycott all nintendo videogames....

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit

wFRiP4V.png

Edit:

Jim Sterling joins in...

m7fm14Q.png

bryanee

I think I read a tweet a little while back saying the Video Games Awesome guys got flagged by Nintendo. I might be remembering wrong though.

Orayn

I was under the impression that they weren't taking content down, just not allowing people to monetize it.

Microsoft does the same thing; you're not allowed to monetize videos of any of their first party games.

jabuseika

I was under the impression that they weren't taking content down, just not allowing people to monetize it.

Microsoft does the same thing; you're not allowed to monetize videos of any of their first party games.

I would understand that if it was a monetized "let's play", but just for showing part of a trailer and talking about the game?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Guys why are you blaming Nintendo for this when you know that Youtube is terrible with this kind of crap.

Also they showed a trailer of Pokémon X and Y and properly tried to monetize off it.

Orayn

I would understand that if it was a monetized "let's play", but just for showing part of a trailer and talking about the game?

YouTube's Content ID setup is based on automated systems that compare videos to a database of things uploaded by the copyright holder, so trailers and music are more likely to be recognized and flagged for a content match. You can acknowledge some types of content match and keep your video up without risking an infraction to your account, you just won't be able to monetize them.

What's not clear is whether TB is talking about a copyright claim ("Take down this video or else.") or just a content match.

Syf

Banned
I'm completely behind TB in this case. Yes, Nintendo had the right to take it down. It's content they created. But it's great exposure in one of the largest mediums going. TB was doing them a favor by talking about it. Nintendo is still very far behind the times when it comes to online exposure (see: their stubbornness when it came to allowing Melee at EVO).

His review of I Wanna Be the Guy Gaiden is a masterpiece, easily my favourite game review ever.

It was not a review tho...?
Shame about him boycotting nintendo completely, but tbh he's not very knowledgeable about nintendo games to begin withso it's not much of a loss.

Takao

Banned
Your reading comprehension is fuzzy? I said a trailer THEY made. Feel free to post your own footage as a visual reference without trying to monetize if (of course).

Downloading a trailer off the internet, and editing that is a lot easier than capturing 3DS footage. A trailer is considered promotional footage.

That's exactly what's happening. God forbid people can't make money off of someone else's content.

Kariodude

Banned
It was not a review tho...?

Total Biscuit can call them whatever he wants. His "WTF Is..." series is still a review series.

On the Nintendo stuff, I find it odd that a clip from a trailer gets flagged while Game Grumps, who are on the same network, do full Let's Plays of Nintendo titles and get away with it.

ZeroGravity

I'm completely behind TB in this case. Yes, Nintendo had the right to take it down. It's content they created. But it's great exposure in one of the largest mediums going. TB was doing them a favor by talking about it. Nintendo is still very far behind the times when it comes to online exposure (see: their stubbornness when it came to allowing Melee at EVO).
Yes, he was doing Nintendo a favor, advertising their most popular franchise. If only Pokemon would have gotten more exposure by random YouTubers, it could have sold another million in its first two days.

Syf

Banned
Yes, he was doing Nintendo a favor, advertising their most popular franchise. If only Pokemon would have gotten more exposure by random YouTubers, it could have sold another million in its first two days.
I'm not saying it was needed. I'm saying it's stupid to restrict it, something Nintendo doesn't get.

That's exactly what's happening. God forbid people can't make money off of someone else's content.

Is anyone else really tuning in to watch some Pokemon trailer? They can watch that in many other places. All they're doing is discussing it while giving the audience a better idea of what they're talking about. People watch for their opinion, not for Pokemon itself.

They're visual aids for a topic of discussion and nothing more. Why should Nintendo see a dime of this? They're basically advertising for them. TB and the rest could easily discuss and show many other different games and it most likely wouldn't make a single difference.

This is coming from someone who hasn't really watched TB videos in a while.

ZeroGravity

Total Biscuit can call them whatever he wants. His "WTF Is..." series is still a review series.

On the Nintendo stuff, I find it odd that a clip from a trailer gets flagged while Game Grumps, who are on the same network, do full Let's Plays of Nintendo titles and get away with it.
Nintendo relaxed their copyright claims on people who record their own gameplay of their games (if they were ever really going after them to begin with, it's never been exactly clear).

If you take a video that Nintendo personally made and then reupload it in any form on YouTube, then YouTube's content-ID system is going to flag it. That's how it is with any company that is affiliated with YouTube.

It's a first look into the early game. He repeats all the friggin time people should go elsewhere if they want opinions by people who completed the game.
I'm not in the mood for discussing semantics tonight so I'll leave it at that.

ElFly

While I don't condone Nintendo's policy on YouTube videos, sometimes it is in the best interest of a company to NOT be endorsed by someone, and judging from the reactions here, seems that total biscuits is that kind of someone.

It's a first look into the early game. He repeats all the friggin time people should go elsewhere if they want opinions by people who completed the game.
I'm not in the mood for discussing semantics tonight so I'll leave it at that.

Problem is many times he's played a lot of the game, several hours. Those are not at all first impressions.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well seeing as a whole bunch of other YouTubers can get by showing Nintendo footage no problem it's obviously down to the fact that YT's auto detection flagged him because the footage he used was identical to footage Nintendo themselves uploaded.

If he hadn't been so lazy and just recorded his own, or even just flipped it, this likely wouldn't have happened.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Nintendo is still very far behind the times when it comes to online exposure (see: their stubbornness when it came to allowing Melee at EVO).

Yes because Melee clearly needed exposure so that Nintendo can sell a 11 years old game, oh wait.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just reading his Twitter and quite frankly the guy is beyond rude.

Any sympathy I may have had for him has dissipated out of the window.

Syf

Banned
Yes because Melee clearly needed exposure so that Nintendo can sell a 11 years old game, oh wait.
Obviously not. It wasn't about sales, it was about seeing a Nintendo game played competitively in front of thousands. I don't understand why any Nintendo fan would be against that.

Tenumi

Banned
Guys why are you blaming Nintendo for this when you know that Youtube is terrible with this kind of crap.

Also they showed a trailer of Pokémon X and Y and properly tried to monetize off it.

Youtube is absolutely awful with the takedown junk, where I could practically say "I own all Mass Effect video content" and get away with it. And yeah, monetizing other people's work.

Just reading his Twitter and quite frankly the guy is beyond rude.

Any sympathy I may have had for him has dissipated out of the window.

That is some important information. I have no sympathy for this person/group, then. Whatever happened to professionalism?

Obviously not. It wasn't about sales, it was about seeing a Nintendo game played competitively in front of thousands. I don't understand why any Nintendo fan would be against that.

But the actual corporation isn't too enthused about the Way EVO went about including it.

Amazing how things are not black and white.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You do realise there's been a rift because competitive Smash players and non competitive Smash players. Both will take any chance to laugh at the other so it was of no surprised that there were people cheering when Nintendo originally barred Smash from being streamed.

Top Bottom