• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us knock off removed from Nintendo eShop as Sony stakes copyright claim

The Last Hope: Dead Zone Survival - the The Last of Us rip-off that turned up on the Nintendo eShop last month - has been removed from sale.

Additionally, trailers for the game have been taken down, due to a copyright claim made by Sony.

If you head to The Last Hope's Nintendo eShop store page now, you will instead be greeted by a 404 message, and a generic image of Star Fox's Peppy Hare (which is actually more pleasing on the eye than what was there previously).
The-last-hope-is-gone.jpg

Meanwhile, when I searched for The Last Hope on my Switch, I got directed to Mario and Rabbids' Sparks of Hope.

I can, of course, still play The Last Hope: Dead Zone Survival as I previously bought and downloaded it, although I doubt I ever will again.

Eurogamer has contacted both Sony and Nintendo for further comment.
Digital Foundry took a look at The Last Hope back in July, and called it "an absolute disaster". In fact, the team said it was the worst game they'd ever tested.

"Testing The Last Hope has been both cathartic yet also eye opening. I'd mostly ignored the shovelware-infested digital storefronts and assumed many of them were innocuous, but when you see something like this it really pulls back the curtain on the depravity festering within certain corners of the industry," wrote John.

"The Last Hope is designed to take your money. There is no game here - this is effectively a scam. We all knew this from the trailer, but the fact that the actual game is so much less than even that awful trailer is genuinely shocking."
John closed with these sage words: "Next time you find yourself looking at something like a Redfall or Destruction AllStars and thinking 'Gee, these are bad games', I want you to step back, take a deep breath and remember The Last Hope: Dead Zone Survivor."

Last edited:

CamHostage

Ehh, seems like a stretch.

A stretch, true, except for they basically ripped an Ellie model (though they would have to prove that a copy was made.)

I don't think Sony had the right to claim any zombie apocalypse coop sad-world game infringes on their brand (and the gameplay of Last Hope sure as shit ain't Last of Us...) but some of the similarities might be over the edge. Sony can't claim damages, Last of Us surely wasn't hurt in sales by this nonsense, but better to nuke the site from orbit, just to be sure.

Skifi28

A stretch, true, except for they basically ripped an Ellie model (though they would have to prove that a copy was made.)

I don't think Sony had the right to claim any zombie apocalypse coop sad-world game infringes on their brand (and the gameplay of Last Hope sure as shit ain't Last of Us...) but some of the similarities might be over the edge. Sony can't claim damages, Last of Us surely wasn't hurt in sales by this nonsense, but better to nuke the site from orbit, just to be sure.
Did they really rip the model though? The model in the game looks like it came from the ps2 era and could look like anything. The clothing does looks very similar, but I doubt Sony have copyrighted jeans and red T-shirt over a long sleeved blouse. I'd really like to know the actual details.

Robb

Gold Member
Hmm, didn’t think they’d be able to do it. I guess maybe the devs did rip something from TLoU (?). Kind of hard to tell when everything looks so bad.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Did they really rip the model though? The model in the game looks like it came from the ps2 era and could look like anything. The clothing does looks very similar, but I doubt Sony have copyrighted jeans and red T-shirt over a long sleeved blouse. I'd really like to know the actual details.

It's a... rough tracing, shall we say.

I would assume they didn't take the actual code from TLoU (though when you run the sliders down and turn off features on a model, sometimes it comes out like that, ) but I would bet there's a asset pack on the Marketplace for like "Lonely Apocalypse Set" where they got their characters (i believe this dev is a heavy asset shopper,) and those are fanmade copies in name or with metadata advertising, "use to create scenes ala The Last of Us." And some of those packs do root with commercial assets.

Last edited:

skit_data

I don't really see how someone would mistake TLOU with this crapfest but I guess it at least saves a few from wasting money on this utter garbage.

Deerock71

Sony honestly shouldn't have bothered with this. It's going to make bootleg copies of it sell for an arm and a leg.

Top Bottom