• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon X and Y save glitch : a patch on the way?

L~A

Nintendo just acknowledged the problem with Pokémon X and Y, where saving inside Lumiose City can crash the game, and make you lose your progression. Looks like they're also planning to release a special application very soon, that will allow impacted users to restore their save data, though they don't give any date whatsoever.

They have a map where they show the areas where you should NOT save when in Lumiose City (in blue -- saving inside building is apparently safe) :
CI16_3DS_PokemonXandY_Map_enGB_image600w.png

Google translate :
We are preparing an application to recover saved game data for players whom this has happened to. This will be made available to download from Nintendo eShop as soon as possible..

Source

Catch me with a PokéBall if old.

CTLance

Wow, that's a pretty big area in the main city. How did that get past QA?

Sure, gaffers know how to take their handheld online and how to patch, but I imagine many kids will never get that fix. Sounds like many tears will be shed.

SmokeMaxX

Right? What a confusing layout. The camera doesn't help either.
Man, I wish you could manually adjust the camera (and if you can, someone please PM me how). So many damn cafes in the city that it's hard to orient myself with a constantly rotating camera. Most times I have to run around the city until I can find the front gate and then go from there.

Why is it Nintendo games are peerless when it comes to squishing minor bugs, but when one does slip through the net, it's a catastrophic 'have to start the game again' one?

Sure, gaffers know how to take their handheld online and how to patch, but I imagine many kids will never get that fix. Sounds like many tears will be shed.

Well, the glitch is relatively uncommon. I doubt most kids will stay in the big Lumiose street long enough to see it.

Can Nintendo force an update?

MIlky1985

Banned

I suspect it will be on the news sites and a message when you go to the eshop. Odd that it got past QA as it is a big area that you visit multiple times (apparently, still only 1 badge here) but when people were testing it yesterday they were saying that it was some areas of the outside ring that caused the issue, not all of it. Possible Nintendo are just playing it safe rather than saying "don't save if you are between the car and the two trees" or something.

So it's just in the blue ring that it is un-safe to save in? Sorry, statement in the OP is a little ambiguous to me.

Edit: (And the two pathways in the South)

KHlover

Banned

Aren't like 70% of 3DS online anyways? This is old news, so the number will have only gone up. PSS being the main screen in Pokemon X/Y will also have been an incentive to go online with the 3DS. Thanks to the Mario Kart 7 glitch we know Nintendo can block portions of the game until you have patched it.

=> Block the game from loading the savegame until the patch has been downloaded. Add "Download" button to the Error Message to prevent any confusion.

Even with the bug fix, Lumiose City will still be the worst city design in any Pokemon game yet.
City design is fine, camera design though....Blegh!

BowieZ

Banned
Lack of 3D, save glitches, awful controls/camera in Lumiose City... sounds like this needed an extra month or two in the oven. It's a shame, cos apart from those fairly significant issues, the game is a detailed, rich, near-perfect experience.

Did it really need to come out in early October?

Whwn you travel around the city, there is a map that shows up in the upper right portion of the screen as you travel. It really helped me a whole lot. Camera still sucks, though, so I always use roller skates and it isn't a problem for me.

Glad to read about the glitch before anything bad happened to my file, though.

Tusk

Lack of 3D, save glitches, awful controls/camera in Lumiose City... sounds like this needed an extra month or two in the oven. It's a shame, cos apart from those fairly significant issues, the game is a detailed, rich, near-perfect experience.

It would've still been released in Japan if this wasn't a world wide thing. :p

Though, I personally have no problem with any of this. Except the save issue, though I haven't had to deal with it.

It does? I thought everyone was saying it just locked up in a half loaded city and there are some odd tricks to fix it that have worked for one or two (remove SD card before playing, mash home button while area is loading).

Yeah. "Corrupt" was probably the incorrect word to use but it does impede progress until you jury-rig a solution to fix it.

Ragus

Banned
Good thing is, that I wouldn't even want to stay long enough in this fucked up city to save in it.

It's like playing Bubsy 3D.

L~A

Yeah, if you saved in the blue area, the game can't load the city properly, and thus remain frozen for some reason. There's some methods to fix it, but they don't seem to be always working.

@BowieZ : I see where you're coming at, but Pokémon X and Y doesn't show the symptoms of a rushed game. Skyward Sword also had a game breaking glitch (actually, Mario & Luigi : Dream Team Bros. also had one, apparently), yet you couldn't say this was a rushed game.

Though it's true Game Freak seems to have had some trouble, since it was their very first game in 3D, and they're only 80 people total. But I don't think just another month would've helped.

bjork

They have a map where they show the areas where you should NOT save when in Lumiose City (in blue -- saving inside building is apparently safe)

The first one of these I saw was actually inside a building in the city, next to an elevator. Not sure if it's related, but it was in the same city, so.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for the info, and hope they'll fix it soon! I'll stay the hell away from that place if I can until then

solarus

Agreed, guess they really wanted to make it in time for holiday and secure a worldwide launch.

Acheteedo

Yikes, thanks for the heads up.

There's also a game-breaking glitch where I can't ride my own Gogoat, pretty catastrophic if you ask me, when's that getting patched ;)

CTLance

Aren't like 70% of 3DS online anyways? This is old news, so the number will have only gone up. PSS being the main screen in Pokemon X/Y will also have been an incentive to go online with the 3DS. Thanks to the Mario Kart 7 glitch we know Nintendo can block portions of the game until you have patched it.
=> Block the game from loading the savegame until the patch has been downloaded. Add "Download" button to the Error Message to prevent any confusion.
Even if we go by, let's say 88% online by now this still means that about one in eight 3DS owners will remain susceptible to this bug. They will also never get the "loading block" since that would require an online connection as well. That's a whole lot of Porkelmans that could potentially get wiped out, and several seas worth of tears.

Magnus

The digital version lets you keep multiple saves???

Oh man....that just changed my mind about how to buy these games in the future. I think the extra security would be worth it.

I'm a compulsive saver at the best of times, but saving is so damn quick in XY that I've been saving about every 30 seconds just because I can. I'm petrified of slipping up in Lumiose :p

btw, for the guy asking how to control the camera in the city: if you roller blade, the camera will follow your character, but if you're on-foot you have to stop dead and use left and right on the d-pad to swing the camera around in 90 degree increments. No idea who at Game Freak thought it was a good idea.

The digital version lets you keep multiple saves???

Oh man....that just changed my mind about how to buy these games in the future. I think the extra security would be worth it.
I thought it always knew what your newest save was and won't let you load older ones?

Otherwise I could send all my Pokemon off and then load the older save.

since ds and sleep mode came about, havent' saved much in pokemon games outside of gym leader battles. And with how most trainers and leaders are a joke in this, i haven't saved much here either.

Vhalyar

I'm willing to bet it was found in QA but the fix was deemed too risky by upper management.

Too risky? The alternative is potentially gimping every customer out of their game for saving in the most important city in the game. That's huge and would definitely have warranted a day 1 patch.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Thankfully the center area isn't affected (best place for hatching eggs).

With that said I never save in a map unless it's the Victory Road.

Top Bottom