• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Keeper F2P producer: If you want Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper 2 go to GOG

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Commentary from Pocket Tactics, a site that covers mobile games for core gamers.

Don’t like F2P Dungeon Keeper? Get lost, EA says

Here’s EA’s message to Dungeon Keeper fans who are let down by the franchise’s revival as a free-to-play game: perhaps paraphrasing Jay-Z, Dungeon Keeper producer Jeff Skalski told PG‘s Mark Brown, “If you want to play Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper 2, go to Good Old Games and download them.”

Clearly nobody should be holding Jeff Skalski accountable for Dungeon Keeper’s transformation into a Clash of Clans-style freemium game chock full of timers and in-app purchases — that decision was certainly sent down to Mythic Entertainment from EA’s fell fortress.

But Skalski’s surprise at the fan revolt is eyebrow-raising. How could he have expected anything different?

The original Dungeon Keeper was an intricate-but-whimsical fantasy sim from Bullfrog, the British studio responsible for some of the best strategy games ever made. Taking a classic and making a loosely related “modern” incarnation of it in a wildly different genre has never gone well: look at the frosty greeting offered by fans to 2K’s proposed XCOM shooter, which caused the game to go back to the drawing board more than once.

There’s a very questionable strategic decision underlying this whole thing. People with fond memories of Dungeon Keeper & Dungeon Keeper 2 from the 1990s will now be in their 30s & 40s — the demographic segment least likely to spend on free-to-play games.

I don’t doubt that the size of the prize is smaller if you’re selling to 30 & 40 year olds, and you can’t begrudge EA for wanting to chase that Clash of Clans money, but what exactly is the business case for this game? Slapping an original IP on it (or giving it an IP with a younger built-in audience, like Dragon Age) would have been considerably smarter. Ultima Forever, EA’s last attempt to freemium-ize a classic video game property, was a bomb.

Brown asked Skalski if he’s demoralized by the fan reaction to Dungeon Keeper. “It’s honestly part of the business,” Skalski said. It doesn’t have to be, man.

Dungeon Keeper is currently soft-launched in Canada.

Original interview:

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Dungeon+Keeper/news.asp?c=54547

Mythic Entertainment's Jeff Skalski has a suggestion for fans who are pissed off that his upcoming free-to-play Dungeon Keeper game is not like the originals.

"If you want to play Dungeon Keeper or Dungeon Keeper 2, go to Good Old Games and download them," the senior producer tells us.

"I'm not trying to recreate those games. This is not Dungeon Keeper 3. This is not a PC game for mobile. We're not trying to build the game like it's 1999," he says. "We want to make a Dungeon Keeper experience that's right for this platform, so there were things that we just had to change."

The most obvious outcome of this desire to court mobile gamers is the incessant wait timers that drag every action out, unless you're willing to pay to expedite matters. Everything is tied to timers, which means you can't play it in one binge-like session like the original games without getting a second mortgage.

That's one reason the game has received such a negative reaction from long-time Dungeon Keeper fans.
We ask Skalski if the angry comments, tweets, and forum threads are demoralising for the developer (which last gave us the enormous Ultima Forever).

"It's honestly part of the business. We know that any time you touch a classic game, the fans feel like you're playing with their memories because they're passionate so they're very protective of them," he says.

"Those are your memories with that game, those are untouched." But he hopes that Dungeon Keeper fans will give his game a shot. "We are doing things differently, but there's no reason not to download it."

For reference it is very much one of those games where things start out taking seconds (with gem usage to speed even that up) just to get you playing. Then before too long (about 20 minutes) you are forced to wait for hours for a single square of dirt to be dug up, or give up a lot of your resources....

... or of course to open your wallet.

The big shame is it is a well put together title. It feels well made, there is a lot of content and given the timers were removed and a decent price tag was put onto it? I would recommend it as a solid ipad game.

Personally I really hate the model even if I accept it is what is making money. I'm a big supporter of ipad/iphone gaming, but more and more I'm getting turned off and returning to other platforms.

Ploid 3.0

I'll check it out. I always give F2P a test, I only lose time. Never played a Dungeon Keeper could be a interesting demo.

(goes to youtube DK F2P)

Edit: Eww bah smart phone game.

Lint21

Neo Member
Ugh, EA doing bad things with a classic franchise again. Pretty sure they aren't making a single game that I'm interested in anymore, other than maybe Mass Effect. And I only played the first one of those.

I really hope this F2P/IAP phenomenon fails and goes away soon.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you don't want comparisons to the old Dungeon Keeper games, don't use the Dungeon Keeper title.

Can't have it both ways, guys. You can't use the Dungeon Keeper name to try to cash in on the strength of the IP, then get mad when fans of that IP compare the new game to the old one.

Derrick01

Banned
Problem is, now its a proven model, watch it slowly infect console/PC gaming.

It already is with Mass Effect 3's and GTA5's multiplayer. They shaped the entire design of their modes around aggressive F2P mechanics with strong encouragement to buy microtransactions to ease the pain of excessive grinding.

epmode

EA may be one of the worst publishers around but at least they preserve their legacy (even if it's all from murdered studios) on GOG/Steam. Disney needs to get on their Lucasarts catalog.

I'd complain about the Dungeon Keeper iOS disaster if I had any faith in EA making a worthwhile sequel. This was dead even before development started.

mantidor

What!? Dungeon Keeper One and Two are on GoG!!?? This is freaking awesome.

Now, is there any spiritual successor? kickstarter? something?

Polk

For reference it is very much one of those games where things start out taking seconds (with gem usage to speed even that up) just to get you playing. Then before too long (about 20 minutes) you are forced to wait for hours for a single square of dirt to be dug up, or give up a lot of your resources....
It's lazy but probably effective F2P model.
But for me it's saying "our game is so boring you should play it in short bursts otherwise you'll notice it".

EA grabs classic IP for instant cash grab -> bastardizes formula, insults fanbase -> game bombs -> "there must've been no interest in this IP" -> cans franchise forever, shutters beloved studios if any are around to be caught in the crossfire.

Lint21

Neo Member
EA grabs classic IP for instant cash grab -> bastardizes formula, insults fanbase -> game bombs -> "there must've been no interest in this IP" -> cans franchise forever, shutters beloved studios if any are around to be caught in the crossfire.

/Maxis looks around nervously...

Nikodemos

There never was a Syndicate FPS.

Trust me.

haikira

I see he comes from the Don Mattrick school of PR. That'll win you good will for sure.
Like they give a fuck.

clockpunk

Pffffft. A suit rather than a gamer, bastardising a fondly-remembered name purely for profit, a la Theme Park. Surely EA's designers would like something more of a challenge rather than reskinning the simple iOS mechanics seen in all their games?

This is not Dungeon Keeper 3.

... is the most telling (and sad) part of the interview.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Are there any decent / serious Dungeon Keeper type games on Android?

And EA - I still haven't forgiven you for what you did to Ultima. You can shove this latest F2P monstrosity up your fannybag.

Top Bottom