• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtue's Last Reward 3DS save bug : One year on and still no fix

It's a year to the day that this thread was started, and I just thought I'd remind people that spike/aksys/rsg have done precisely squat about this.
I hear aksys released it on the eshop a few months ago and according to them, the PEC issues were fixed!

https://www.facebook.com/virtueslastreward/posts/695419410472716
(check the comment replies)

...But apparently all they did is disable saving in PEC, and people have reported games still getting corrupted elsewhere.

Really brilliant customer service.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not sure why you expected them to fix it? They never fixed it for the japanese version either. It was and is a known bug and it is unfortunate but it can be easily avoided so I can't really say I care if they do anything about it or not. This is also coming from someone who lost an 18 hour save to the glitch so I can certainly comment on the matter.

I'm not sure why you expected them to fix it? They never fixed it for the japanese version either. It was and is a known bug and it is unfortunate but it can be easily avoided so I can't really say I care if they do anything about it or not. This is also coming from someone who lost an 18 hour save to the glitch so I can certainly comment on the matter.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I expected them to fix a save-game destroying bug, that was really silly of me.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I expected them to fix a save-game destroying bug, that was really silly of me.

Unfortunately, IIRC, VLR hasn't even become profitable yet (or "successful", whatever that metric actually means), so perhaps they didn't find it financially feasible to do a patch. Those cost money yo.

liquidtmd

Banned
I'm not sure why you expected them to fix it?

Because it was pissing off some of their customer base and time invested was being lost in their product? Because it would have encouraged goodwill in their future work? Because Save bugs generally are easy code fixes? Because things like this have been patched for over 20 years on PC? Because patch implementations are common place?

Sendou

Very shortsighted of them not to fix this.

I'm pretty sure patching costs no money on 3DS but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nags

Banned
I guess they really don't give a shit.

image.php

Go get em sparky!

jay

Unfortunately, IIRC, VLR hasn't even become profitable yet (or "successful", whatever that metric actually means), so perhaps they didn't find it financially feasible to do a patch. Those cost money yo.

This is only more proof they need to continue changing direction with the series. The third game should be a dating sim with 462 different happy endings.

wrowa

What can they do? Chunsoft is either unable to fix the issue for technical reasons or Chunsoft is unable to fix it due to a lack of ressources. Either way, there's nothing Aksys can do to change this. You can be sure that they aren't satisfied with this situation either, after all they are really pushing the Zero Escape brand.

redhood56

Banned
You can't really blame Aksys for this, they did just translate it. Also, I don't really see spike chunsoft supporting VLR, it isn't compatible with the vita tv(even though it has analog and button controls) even though other spike chunsoft games are. I remember seeing that VLR sold 16,000 the first week in Japan right?

wrowa

Nintendo has a patching system in place for the 3DS?

Pokemon got a patch just last week, Devil Survivor (EU) a couple months ago. Releasing a patch is definitely possible. Whether or not patching this specific issue is possible is another question altogether, however.

Huh. I'm playing through this now. So basically... save during the story sections?

I think the upshot was that corridors and warehouses were safe, but to NEVER save in a puzzle room. Never save in the PEC at all, but check the OP of the gaf thread I linked at the top, it goes into more detail.

Tagg9

You can't really blame Aksys for this, they did just translate it. Also, I don't really see spike chunsoft supporting VLR, it isn't compatible with the vita tv(even though it has analog and button controls) even though other spike chunsoft games are. I remember seeing that VLR sold 16,000 the first week in Japan right?

Yeah, this isn't really something Aksys can do themselves - the original Japanese devs are the ones that would need to fix the code.

Yeah, this isn't really something Aksys can do themselves - the original Japanese devs are the ones that would need to fix the code.

Spikechun are listed in the OP as one of the companies responsible.

And although I don't know if Aksys/RSG knew about these errors when the started work on them, Aksys sure as hell knew about them when they pushed the game onto eshop with save killing bugs still present.

kewlmyc

Do you think a sequel is even possible with the super low sales that this has gotten? Spike Chunsoft seems to be focusing on DanganRonpa now since it's a bigger money maker.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I thought they fixed it in the NA eShop version?

EDIT: Welp. Its a shame that it hasn't been fixed. If the Pokemon XY save glitch can be fixed, this should be too.

Tagg9

Do you think a sequel is even possible with the super low sales that this has gotten? Spike Chunsoft seems to be focusing on DanganRonpa now since it's a bigger money maker.

Yes, don't freak me out like that! Pretty sure they've confirmed they are working on the next entry in the series.

Soulflarz

Banned
Well id say a huge yes, seeing as spike chunsoft, at the end of their DanganRonpa trailer a few months back, there was a VERY familiar blue text that said three is coming.
Even if it only showed for 3 seconds, its VLRs text, and spike chunsoft.
So yeah, unless they cancel midway, itll come.

The relative lack of care put into the 3DS version still bothers me. Why is the sound more compressed on the 3DS than on the Vita? Why does the 3DS version only have one save file while the Vita version has three? Aren't these just space issues that have nothing to do with processing power? Aren't Vita and 3DS carts the same size? Is it just a case of being cheap and using smaller capacity carts? If that's the reason, then why only cheap out on the 3DS version?

I'd heartily recommend the Vita version because of the above, but it controls like complete ass. Why can Chunsoft get navigation right on one touchscreen but not on another?

GSR

Well id say a huge yes, seeing as spike chunsoft, at the end of their DanganRonpa trailer a few months back, there was a VERY familiar blue text that said three is coming.

...Except that they confirmed that to be Dangan Ronpa 3 not long after. Also, remember that the ZE series doesn't use numbers in its titles.

At this point I'm very curious as to if VLR will actually get its sequel. Uchikoshi's been very clear that he's got plans for it, but it may well be that Spike-Chunsoft is focusing its efforts elsewhere on more profitable games. I know VLR didn't do super hot in Japan, and if memory serves part of the reason it got greenlit in the first place was 999's international sales, so if VLR didn't do well enough over here, the third game might have gotten shelved.

L~A

Sort of. It's not commonly used though.

There's no "sort of". Patch are perfectly possible on the 3DS, retail or digital version alike, period.

Huh. I'm playing through this now. So basically... save during the story sections?

Yup. Avoid saving in the PEC at all (even during novel sections), the Crew Quarters, and you should be fine. By the way, do you have the digital version of the game? If yes, little piece of advice (for everyone else who got the digital version, by the way!).

You can use the 3DS's save backup feature to keep a backup of your save data. That way, even if encounter the glitch, you won't lose all your progress.

Personally, I only encountered 1 crash in 105h of gameplay (and the save data was just fine). But yeah, I'm astonished they haven't fixed that yet... my guess is, they probably won't fix it, ever.

About the game sales : we have no idea yet. We have sales data for Japan, but not the rest of the world. And the "not profitable yet" actually comes from an interview back in December, so that was months ago (so right around the European release). I'm pretty sure the game will become profitable in the end, and that Spike-Chunsoft will have good news for us next year.

I think the worse thing that may happen is they scale things back a bit for the 3rd game, like get rid of the voice acting (or at least, have no English dub). VLR is much bigger than 999, so it's no wonder it cost more to make.

Yasumi

Banned

No, that was confirmed to be Dangan Ronpa 3.
The two of them also talk of DGRP3 as being in the preparations stage, with no finalized scenario as of yet. The ‘also…3’ announcement was twofold - a reassurance to old fans that Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo is just a spinoff and not representative of the overall direction the series is going to take, and basically a way to pressure Kodaka and the DGRP team to make DGRP3. Kodaka sees it as being developed alongside Zettai Zetsubou Shoujo.

Wireframe

I feel bad that everyone didn't experience VLR on the vita. I've seen my friend playing the 3ds version and the bug is pretty annoying.

wrowa

Wonder how well the 3DS version would have sold if it had positive word of mouth. :/

Anihawk was talking about first month sales only, so the quoted sales wouldn't have been affected by word of mouth anyway. How much VLR ended up selling is a complete mystery.

Top Bottom