• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio, one year after the 2016 Olympics (Spoiler: It's not good.)

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
What a surprise.

bnkyibbqjzutxy1c4squ.jpg

The 2016 Rio Olympics were supposed to be the second of a one-two punch announcing Brazil's arrival as a world power through dominance in sports. But in many ways, the opposite unfolded. Timed with an embarrassing political corruption scandal and the largest economic crisis in Brazil's history, the hosting of the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Games has resulted in a perfect storm of unfulfilled promises.

While 15 of the original 27 venues have hosted some sort of event since the Games, others sit largely abandoned, their decay and disrepair a constant reminder of what was meant to be. Even the iconic soccer stadium, the Maracanã, has been vandalized, and had its power shut off completely after amassing a $950,000 electric bill. Deodoro Olympic Park, long hailed by Brazilian politicians and Olympic proponents as a path to upgrade one of Rio's poorer neighborhoods, is shuttered. The community pool that was supposed to come out of the canoe slalom course was closed in December and has yet to re-open. Brazil's Federal Court of Audit (TCU) reported last week that another abandoned pool, at the Deodoro Aquatics Center, is now covered in bugs, mud and rodent feces. A Deodoro elevator once used to lift fans over a busy road now leads to nowhere.

Ten miles away at the Olympic Park, things aren't much better. Earlier this month a fire from a flying lantern torched the roof of the Rio velodrome, badly damaging its Siberian Pine track. After the Games, the city solicited bids for private companies to run the park, but no one bid, leaving Brazil's Ministry of Sport with the task -- and expense. The maintenance alone will cost the government approximately $14 million this year. Rio's new mayor, Marcelo Crivella, has scrapped plans to turn the handball arena into four public schools. And the 31 towers that made up the athletes village, which were set to be transformed into luxury condos, now sit largely vacant. Even some of the medals awarded to the athletes have tarnished or cracked, with more than 10 percent of them sent back to Brazil for repair. Rio officials blame poor handling by the athletes.

Almost a year since the Games closed, the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee still owes $40 million to creditors. Bloomberg reported in April that the Olympic organizers were attempting to pay creditors with air conditioners, portable energy units and electrical cables. In July, the organizing committee asked the International Olympic Committee for help with its debt; the IOC said no.

Promises that the Olympics would modernize Rio and make its streets safer and favelas cleaner have also failed. According to Brazil's Institute of Public Safety, street robberies are up 48 percent and deadly assaults by 21 percent, to the highest rates since 2009. In the first three months of 2017, violent crime spiked 26 percent compared with the same period in 2016. The state of Rio is still unable to pay its teachers, hospital workers, police and other public employees on time, if at all. Many favelas still lack running water or proper sewage removal. "The promised legacy of the Olympics achieving a safe city for all people was not delivered," Amnesty International wrote in its September 2016 post-Rio report. "Instead a legacy of human rights violations endures."

Largely overlooked through much of the post-Rio commotion are the Brazilian athletes ... Sponsors have dried up. Elite coaches have fled the country. Training centers have closed. And athletes wonder how -- or even if -- they're still going to be able to compete.

[Bronze medalist, open water swimmer Poliana Okimoto's] competitive life is now filled with confusion. With every stroke, she feels the effects of the financial crisis and corruption scandal.

In September, her sponsorship contract ended and was not renewed. Now she pays her team using the $1,000 she receives from the army, her own $4,800 monthly government stipend and money she receives from her club team, Unisanta. (For contractual reasons, the club will not disclose Poliana's compensation.) She still trains at the same 25-meter Esperia Club pool in São Paulo where she and her husband pay roughly $160 a month to be members. There is no competitive team at the club, meaning it's perfectly normal for Okimoto to train in one pool while elderly women take water aerobics classes in another.

To train at Unisanta, which is located in Santos, a coastal city some 50 miles from São Paulo, Okimoto would have had to move and share the pool with her biggest rival, Ana Marcela Cunha. It's a situation neither of them wanted. This summer, Poliana didn't even make the Brazilian world championship team, while Cunha won gold in the 25K, bronze in the 5K and tied for bronze in the 10K.

"I dreamt about the Olympic medal since I was 13 years old," Okimoto says. "I thought it would change my life, or at least my life would be easier. Nothing has changed. On the contrary, I've lost. A lot."

It's very lengthy feature, so there's much more at the jump.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20292414/the-reality-post-olympic-rio

kirblar

I'm glad that they've adopted an unofficial "first world cities w/ established infrastructure only" rule for hosts in the wake of this. It sucks that it took a disaster like this to make them see that this wasn't a good idea.

LakeEarth

Even some of the medals awarded to the athletes have tarnished or cracked, with more than 10 percent of them sent back to Brazil for repair. Rio officials blame poor handling by the athletes.
Did they cheap out on the medals too!?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Putting the Olympics in undeveloped nations is like some kind of next generation colonialism for the way it fucks up these developing countries.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I think we all knew it wouldn't be good. Olympics are never that good for a country or a city.

Honestly, I'm one of those people who actually enjoy the idea behind the Olympics but yes, I am largely unfazed at this point when I find out a host city/country can't make ends meet after the games and leave their venues/athletes for dead. It is just all too common. I am genuinely impressed/relieved when they do though, or at least try to make the best out of it as possible.

That said, Rio is the special exemption to either case in that I was surprised way before the games that they somehow got to host in the first place. But not in a good way. More in a "fucking really?" way.

They were fucking fantastic for Salt Lake... What are you even talking about?

Almost all the London venues are still in use. Not sure about Vacouver.
Much of Vancouver is still in good use but then again, they had a lot of already established stuff to use prior the games.

Trojita

[Bronze medalist, open water swimmer Poliana Okimoto's] competitive life is now filled with confusion. With every stroke, she feels the effects of the financial crisis and corruption scandal.

In September, her sponsorship contract ended and was not renewed. Now she pays her team using the $1,000 she receives from the army, her own $4,800 monthly government stipend and money she receives from her club team, Unisanta. (For contractual reasons, the club will not disclose Poliana's compensation.) She still trains at the same 25-meter Esperia Club pool in São Paulo where she and her husband pay roughly $160 a month to be members. There is no competitive team at the club, meaning it's perfectly normal for Okimoto to train in one pool while elderly women take water aerobics classes in another.

Wait what, am I not reading these numbers right? She seems to be doing VERY WELL for a sport most people don't care about 3 out of 4 years.

Raven117

I'm glad that they've adopted an unofficial "first world cities w/ established infrastructure only" rule for hosts in the wake of this. It sucks that it took a disaster like this to make them see that this wasn't a good idea.

Yup. Same thing happened in South Africa after their world cup.

While it sounds good in theory, in practice, it just doesn't work out very well.

This event needs to be played in countries that don't have to build new structures, only money the host is spending, for security and fan events..

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They were fucking fantastic for Salt Lake... What are you even talking about?

Almost all the London venues are still in use. Not sure about Vacouver.

The Olympics can be good for big, established cities as it gives an excuse to spend big on needed infrastructure, but for places that aren't London/NYC/LA it can easily be beyond a disaster.

kswiston

The Olympics can be good for big, established cities as it gives an excuse to spend big on needed infrastructure, but for places that aren't London/NYC/LA it can easily be beyond a disaster.

Rich cities also have people and clubs who can afford to use the facilities after.

Trojita

Right?
And that's without including the money from her club

I was wondering if somehow they fucked up conversion from the Real or were missing a decimal or something. Moving, driving to, and even sharing the ideal pool is made to be some kind of insurmountable obstacle. Having a pool to yourself is made out to be some kind of unfortunate fate.

I'm never sure why they invite the Olympics into their country to have them build half a city and then never end up using it again. Its just baffling.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I imagine all the infrastructure construction that went into this event was ripe for money laundering, especially being Brazil, a high risk country.

Naw.
I can't imagine what a good chunk of Atlanta would be like without the Olympics in '96.
As already noted, it can be a boon for cities with the infrastructure to handle it and maintain new projects.

This. As somebody who worked at the Atlanta Olympics in 96 it was definitely a boon for the city.

Minty_Freshness

Neo Member
I still would love to see the Summer Olympics hosted permanently in Greece if only for the historical resonance of it. The idea of a regular tournament for the world, showing friendly competition, held in the same place it has been for thousands of years is just awesome..

But then I realize that its most likely that Greece is in no condition at this time to handle maintenance or infrastructure upkeep for that kind of idea.

Parch

Some of this was predicted. They figured the golf course would get abandoned, and some of the outdoor events were criticized for being too big (seating) and would never be re-used. During the games they made a big deal out of the kayak facility becoming a water park. Didn't happen.

But this sounds like pretty much everything is getting abandoned. It's not like the Rio facilities were bad, but if they can't maintain and benefit from what was, then it's pretty much just a total disaster.

London and Vancouver seem to be the exceptions. They either had existing facilities or had good planning to benefit from new buildings and infrastructure. When done right, a city can benefit significantly from hosting a games, but that seems to be a rare case now.

At least the IOC seems willing to address this problem. Don't pick a host that is going to suffer so bad financially.

Peterthumpa

Joke of a country, I remember people blindly commemorating like we had won a war when Rio was chosen, even when everybody knew that such resources could've been used for MUCH more important things.

Corruption is deeply rooted in Brazil's culture and society, and this is just one of the many ugly and sad results.

LeonSPBR

Rio is broken as fuck, and yet I watched news yesterday and the mayor said that Olympics was good for the city.... Rio is a mess, and all the money that went for the Olympics could be easily went to fix the mess that Rio is in.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I think we all knew it wouldn't be good. Olympics are never that good for a country or a city that doesn't have the infrastructure to host it.
Fixed.

And i'm not surprised, brazilians in general are lazy and show little care for maintaining public places.

Naw.
I can't imagine what a good chunk of Atlanta would be like without the Olympics in '96.
As already noted, it can be a boon for cities with the infrastructure to handle it and maintain new projects.

Didnt Vancouver come out OK?

Really the only flops in the modern era were Rio and Athens. The rest turned out fine.

Oh okay, my bad. I thought The Olympics were devastating for local business.

Fixed.

And i'm not surprised, brazilians in general are lazy and show little care for maintaining public places.
yeah probably just certain countries then. Not sure about the last sentence. Brazil is one of the fastest growing economies if i'm not mistaken. Or was, for a while.

Parch

Joke of a country, I remember people blindly commemorating like we had won a war when Rio was chosen, even when everybody knew that such resources could've been used for MUCH more important things.

Corruption is deeply rooted in Brazil's culture and society, and this is just one of the many ugly and sad results.
The actual games went off fairly smoothly considering how much doom and gloom there was and how people were predicting failure. Rio did a fine job hosting the games.

But now is when the doom and gloom happens. They had to do much better planning for the facilities after the games, but even optimistically this was never going to happen. They were never going to get good use out of the olympic facilities.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
yeah probably just certain countries then. Not sure about the last sentence. Brazil is one of the fastest growing economies if i'm not mistaken. Or was, for a while.

Our economy has been stagnant for some time now, last year it was really bad, the current political landscape doesn't help at all.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Rich cities also have people and clubs who can afford to use the facilities after.

This is precisely why the olympics should become a rotating set of locations that countries apply too.

I can't even begin to suggest how many to rotate between, but the locations should get at least a few years worth of uses before being phased out, or even continue indefinitely until the city/country decides otherwise.

Tagyhag

Haven't heard about that, but with Qatar, it's hard to believe them.

This is why I don't want it to come to LA.

As people have said, places like LA thrive with the Olympics. Not only do we still use the facilities that were built, but the money that was gained in '84 is STILL being used.

Haven't heard about that, but with Qatar, it's hard to believe them.

While the corruption levels of the IOC and FIFA are both very high, Qatar is hosting a World Cup, not the Olympics. The next 3 Summer Olympics are in Tokyo, Paris, and Los Angeles.

Edit: Also, your reminder that Rio beat out a Chicago bid backed by Obama himself, IIRC. Even with how corrupt our city politicians can be, we would have been a much better host in the short and long term than Rio.

Top Bottom