• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Paralympics 2016: Games to go ahead with major budget cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak3n

Banned
Seems a shame, I know it does not pull in the same sponsorship but Rio it looks like has simply run out of money it never had

The Paralympic Games will take place as planned, but face major budget cuts, the International Paralympic Committee has announced.

The cuts will be made to venues, the workforce and transport.

Delayed travel grants will now be paid to athletes, but 10 countries may struggle to get teams to Rio.

"Never before in the 56-year history of the Paralympic Games have we faced circumstances like this," said IPC president Sir Philip Craven.

More to follow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/disability-sport/37135083

Rio 2016 organizers haven’t provided a cost breakdown for the Paralympics, and the IPC says organizers have been vague about the size of the deficit, according to Spence. “Each time they speak to us the hole has gotten bigger,” he said.
Part of those games are funded by specific ticket sales and sponsorship. Andrada said sales have been poor, even though tickets cost as little as 10 reais. Additionally, some top Olympic sponsors such as Bridgestone, Dow and McDonald’s aren’t involved in the Paralympics, according to the games website.
Andrada denied claims that cash earmarked for the Paralympics have been spent to deal with crises at the Olympics like fixing the water at the diving pool that turned green, and infrastructure issues at the Athletes Village.

Tak3n

Banned
Man, that sucks. Is this because of the ticket sales or other issues?

sponsorship mostly as it is suppose to be privately funded, but companies seeing the empty seats at the normal Olympics are probably thinking that many people are not going to bother for the para version

Funding should of been sorted months ago

sponsorship mostly as it is suppose to be privately funded, but companies seeing the empty seats at the normal Olympics are probably thinking that many people are not going to bother for the para version

Funding should of been sorted months ago

That's odd, if it was that far in advance I thought the sponsorship would have been based off the 2012 paras, which seemed pretty damn popular.

GunBR

It's sad that most of people don't care about the Paralympics
Some tickets are selling for 10 reais (less than 4 dollars) and still gonna have a lot of empty seats

Really seems like they got the leg swept out from under them.

Unconfirmed Member
Man, that sucks. Is this because of the ticket sales or other issues?
Embargo on state funding for the games, so Brazil's nationalised companies couldn't sponsor the games and the government couldn't come up with the additional funding. Ticket sales have also been poor, only 12% of all tickets have been sold.

It's disappointing because 2012 seemed liked a real turning point for the Paralympics, with a record 2.7m tickets sold it became an event in it's own right.

Tak3n

Banned
Here is where the axe falls

What's being cut?

Downsizing of Rio 2016's workforce for the Paralympics
Changes to the transport services for athletes and their teams
The closure of a number of venue media centres
Moving events to other venues to enable Deodoro Park to be dismantled, allowing the other venues to have dedicated transport hubs
Craven added: "These cuts are on top of the ones we, together with the International Olympic Committee, have already made in the last 12 months and are likely to impact nearly every stakeholder attending the Games."

Embargo on state funding for the games, so Brazil's nationalised companies couldn't sponsor the games and the government couldn't come up with the additional funding. Ticket sales have also been poor, only 12% of all tickets have been sold.

It's disappointing because 2012 seemed liked a real turning point for the Paralympics, with a record 2.7m tickets sold it became an event in it's own right.

I see, thanks. That really sounds like something the IOC should have seen coming.

Tansut

First, yes I am a dick. But I don't try to be mean-spirited.

I had intended to just make an admittedly dark joke to break up what I figured would be a string of "this sucks", "how did they mess up like that", and "Rio gonna Rio" responses to a situation that clearly is shitty. Having the butt of the joke not be a specific target, like an athlete or specific group of athletes, I also incorrectly assumed it would be read in a way that wouldn't be offensive, or at least inoffensive enough to not draw such ire.

I was wrong, and for that I apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom