• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Entire Russian Paralympics team banned from competing in Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraftwerk

The IOC ( International Olympics Committee ) didn't ban the Russian team, but the IPC ( International Paralympic Committee ) is banning the Russian Paralympic team;

Russian athletes have been banned from competing at the Rio 2016 Paralympics following the country's doping scandal.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) had opened suspension proceedings following the McLaren report, and has now confirmed the ban.

That report, published last month, detailed a state-sponsored doping programme operated by Russia.

The Russian Paralympic Committee will reportedly appeal against the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

In contrast to the IPC, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) chose not to hand Russia a blanket ban from the Olympic Games.

The Rio 2016 Paralympics begin in 31 days' time, on 7 September, and 267 Russian athletes across 18 sports will now miss the Games.

"The anti-doping system in Russia is broken, corrupted and entirely compromised," said IPC president Sir Philip Craven at a news conference on Sunday.

"The Russian Paralympic Committee are unable to ensure compliance with and enforcement of the IPC anti-doping code and the world anti-doping code within their own national jurisdiction and they can not fulfil its fundamental obligation as an IPC member.

"As a result, the Russian Paralympic Committee is suspended with immediate effect."

FULL Article

Read this report if you need to know more about the Russian state-sponsored doping.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/36823453

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
ntUDZ8Oh.jpg

so wrong

collective punishment bullshit

The Unfortunate truth is that politics plays a part in these things no matter how much people pretend it doesn't, but no matter what political views someone has i think many can agree that its simply lazy to blanket ban everyone because of the actions of some.

The Unfortunate truth is that politics plays a part in these things no matter how much people pretend it doesn't, but no matter what political views someone has i think many can agree that its simply lazy to blanket ban everyone because of the actions of some.

lol, that's your defence to a state run cheating program?! Putin's fanboys are amusing.

Good on the IPC.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

1. Every country has cheats. Steroids, chemicals, performance enhabicng drugs, even MOTORS in bicycles, for god's sake. They are ALL cheating to the best of their ability.
2. Only a couple of countries are doing it with the express consent and assistance of that country's premiere. Not just Russia, BTW.
3. But for reals, Russia was goin' mad with the cheating. Specially constructed buildings for cheating in Shochi, while bathrooms didn't work.

1. Every country has cheats. Steroids, chemicals, performance enhabicng drugs, even MOTORS in bicycles, for god's sake. They are ALL cheating to the best of their ability.
2. Only a couple of countries are doing it with the express consent and assistance of that country's premiere. Not just Russia, BTW.
3. But for reals, Russia was goin' mad with the cheating. Specially constructed buildings for cheating in Shochi, while bathrooms didn't work.

Absolutely, not disagreeing, you laid it out how i think it. Still a lazy thing to do (the blanket ban), something i think that probably might not have been done if it wasn't Russia.

lol, that's your defence to a state run cheating program?! Putin's fanboys are amusing.

Good on the IPC.

This goes beyond ignorance and jumps into the territory of idiocy capitalized by immense stupidity, bravo.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I don't get why the IOC is going forward with evaluating Russia on a case-by-case, last-minute, obviously politically motivated basis, whereas the IPC just throws the Paralympians to the wolves. The reverse would never happen. This is preferential treatment given to able-bodied athletes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom