• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With months left, Rio won't be ready for the 2016 Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea why don't they do something like this?

because it's stupid. The only way for a city or a country for that matter to not be crushed under the weight of putting up sports venues for the Olympics is to have a population that engages in sports year round so the venues are built and maintained by public demand not some once a century influx of business.

Not knowing much about the current Brazilian president and her administration, I've heard she is extremely unpopular. Did she originally run on a promise of doing the Olympics or was that a unforeseen twist that reared its head after she was elected?

mclem

I'm going to be livid if this ruins the games. I have absolutely adored the summer olympics ever since I was a small child.

I dont understand how they are so unorganized. It seems there's always so many problems. How many years in advance are the cities chosen? Probably needs to be a decade at least.

Well, that's easy enough to remember if you're British, because the 7/7 bombings occurred the day after London 2012 was announced as the host city - so 2005 -> 2012.

I think Vancouver managed to make it and the biggest problem they had was totally out of their hands (mountains weren't as snowy that season and they had to ship in some).

I could be wrong though.

Nah, the Vancouver Olympics' biggest problem was they ran out of Condoms to supply the athletes. The IOC thought 100,000 would be enough for the pinnacle of human athleticism gathered into a small area for 3 weeks.

They had to emergency order 50,000 thousand more.

mclem

I hope they stream this one online so I can get it on my Chromecast. No more cable!

Curious what it'll be like this year on that front, because as the host broadcaster, the BBC's coverage both online and on television was ridiculously comprehensive. I can't see this Olympics being anything other than a step back on that front, but I live in hope that they'll prove me wrong.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nah, the Vancouver Olympics' biggest problem was they ran out of Condoms to supply the athletes. The IOC thought 100,000 would be enough for the pinnacle of human athleticism gathered into a small area for 3 weeks.

They had to emergency order 50,000 thousand more.

The orgy aspect of the Olympics really is hilarious, I'm surprised more people don't talk about it. The whole competition is a great summary of the excesses of human behaviour.

milanbaros

Member?
The orgy aspect of the Olympics really is hilarious, I'm surprised more people don't talk about it. The whole competition is a great summary of the excesses of human behaviour.

Because it is rubbish. The whole condom thing is an inside joke for the athletes.

Tiops

Enjoy your zika, everyone! :D

Add the corruption from the IOC to the already insane corruption from the brazilian government and you get awesome things like this. I'm just glad that I don't live in Rio.

AP90

I'm still in utter disbelief that they're hosting the World Cup and the Olympics back-to-back. That's completely insane for a developing country.

The Olympics can bankrupt a country or at least bring it to its knees financially as its a huge money sink. Not to mention the increasing costs og security required now.

And on top of that, the world cup too?

I'd completely missed that the Olympics were so soon, i thought there was still a year left to tidy things up! There will be some interesting stories to come when the games are over i'm sure.

milanbaros

Member?
No, you wouldn't.

Most of these athletes train their entire lives for the shot at Olympic gold. Not a shot in hell that they turn it down.

I know right. Most of these athletes would do a lot worse than swim through dirty water to participate. This is their life goal.

If that is what would stop you then I doubt you'd have what it takes get to Olympic level.

ty_hot

Olympics and WC do cost a lot of money, but Brazil's economy is so much bigger than Greece's (to name one) (10 times bigger precisely). Both of them should come bundled with lots of infrastructure investiment... which sadly is not what happened. But it woudn't be even without these games being held in Brazil.

The way our politicians play with money is ridiculous. Maracana Stadium has been 'under construction' more time than it's been open for football matches in this century. around the year 2000, then again for 2007 Panamarican Games, then again for WC, and now again for the Olympics. They spent 1 billion reais (~300-400 million dollars depending on when you check the conversion rate) for the WC, and then 'sold' it for 150 million reais for a private company to take care of it. Wow, such a great deal. They built a complete watersports complex for Panamerican games just to destroy it a few years after, and now are building another one again for the Olympics.

Many airports that should have been improved for WC were not, many transportation projects didn't come to life (trams, bus lanes, metro lines)...

I wish all the investment was properly done, could have meant lots of improvement for the people.

seanoff

Has any Olympic city ever been ready in time? I don't even think Beijing quite made it. It's a low key disaster every single time.

Sydney had pretty much all venues ready 12 months in advance. It was ready and utterly superb in every respect.

Has any of these major events like the World Cup and Olympics had a positive effect on economies of developing or poorer nations? Sounds like such a waste of money and they have trouble every time to set everything up due to high costs, corruption or just bad planning.

Can't we just assign 1 or 2 spots per continent and switch around. Update the facilities when necessary from a combined fund.

Because it's a huge clusterfuck in about a thousand ways for the people who actually live there? Fuck the Olympics.

I loved living in Atlanta during the Olympics. It was amazing seeing so many people from different cultures out and about. I also hot to see the Dream Team live along with Michael Johnson. Mom also scored tickets to the opening ceremony rehearsal which was pretty cool.

Donos

Honestly, if I was an Olympic athlete I wouldn't go to Brazil. I would skip it.

You say that so easy.
Most athletes earn tiny money over the year compared to even mediocre football (soccer) players in the big european leagues.
They need stuff like Olympics for sponsorship. Gold/silver/bronze medal means TV attention, new endorsements etc. I'm not talking about people like Bolt or some rich NHL/NBA players.

I loved living in Atlanta during the Olympics. It was amazing seeing so many people from different cultures out and about. I also hot to see the Dream Team live along with Michael Johnson. Mom also scored tickets to the opening ceremony rehearsal which was pretty cool.

Same, with London. Not that seeing people from different cultures is all that unusual in 2012 in London but the atmosphere around the city was great; yeah, people are watching sport they never normally care about but in that scenario, that atmosphere, people do care about it at the time. I remember watching volleyball between two countries I had no vested interest in, overlooking a bunch of London landmarks, with the sun going down and the sky a gorgeous orange and everyone in good spirits with a beer in my hand. It was a semi-religious experience and I say that as someone born and raised in London myself.

when will they learn just to reuse installations ALREADY constructed in cities that already have facilities?

like Vancouver was a success for winter games, instead of having these cities as one time use event. They should just rotate cities that have it WORKING instead of bankrupting unprepared cities

the Olympics is a joke

Donos

when will they learn just to reuse installations ALREADY constructed in cities that already have facilities?

like Vancouver was a success for winter games, instead of having these cities as one time use event. They should just rotate cities that have it WORKING instead of bankrupting unprepared cities

the Olympics is a joke

People (IOC) giving them away to these unprepared countries because of bribes/ dirty $$$ are the joke. But money talks.
That's why i'm going to sit in front of the TV on christmas to see the the finals of the world cup 2024 in Quatar. A country known for it's rich football culture/history <_< ... >_>

Malyse

Doesn't this happen every time the Games are coming? The host country is always unready, but once the Games are about to start, the venue is ready. It's like the international scale version of putting off all the shit you need to do until right before deadline.

Has any Olympic city ever been ready in time? I don't even think Beijing quite made it. It's a low key disaster every single time.

But Rio Has Given Up On Clean Water For Olympics

Eila

A country known for it's rich football culture/history <_< ... >_>

As opposed to the glorious soccer history of the US. The majestic soccer stadiums there that have had such historic matches like Chivas USA vs DC United are obviously deserving of another world cup, only 24/28 years after the last one.
Maybe that cup will help kickstart football further in there and the rest of the Middle East like it did in the US in the early 90's.

Kinyou

the Olympics is a joke
I kind of like the idea that they always visit different countries/cities, fits the whole "united world" theme, however it's also insane to give it to cities who are clearly not prepared and have to build the entire infrastructure involving the games from the ground up.

China spend freaking $44 billion on their games, Russia freaking $51 billion

Parch

I can see them relocating some events. Windsurfing on sewage? Watch somebody demand that the World Health Organization step in and do something about this. Even if they move some events elsewhere, they'll still be considered part of the Brazil Olympics.

They will never relocate the entire event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom