• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists advise Olympians interacting with Rio waters to keep their mouths closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid Ying

How does this even happen? Why is this even happening? I googled photos of their waters, its atrocious.

The bay is ridiculously huge. Although the water is treated at some points, it's not treated at others. There is a lot of slums, hospitals and even chemical industries throwing untreated water at the bay as you go by.

The photos you are seeing are actually not that bad. It's borders are mostly mud.

That's why not even all the sailing matches are going to be handed in there. The government knows that it's awful. They are doing most of what it's possible to clean the nearby waters for the olympics and call it a day. Since the bay is so big it's almost impossible to clean without a lot of work from lots of places.

At least they can eat a snack if they get hungry halfway through.

This will literally be a shitshow and I'm ashamed I will probably watch out of pure morbid curiosity.

RwtoBW4.gif

2d5d3afaecd4f7625159e0a50601e373351e290b94a6f2d713df0ab9bc9bf773.jpg

Saganator

Is there anything that can be done about the IOC being blatantly corrupt? That's the only way this can be explained. I hope the media doesn't try to sugar coat the conditions if they're truly this bad. If dead fish are visible during a race, I want the commentators to voice their disgust and bewilderment that this is happening, not clever camera angles. I want to hear shit like, "Bob, as long as the triathlete can stay out of that patch of dead fish and floating feces, it's anyone's race."

Why just the mouths

Put tape over your nostrils, ears, buttholes, crotch holes, and any type of hole where fecal matter might go into

I would not swim in that water for a million dollars. Maybe I would. I dunno.

This. Having watched Steve-o swim in shit for Jackass, he got a few shots and had no problem opening his mouth to hilarious results. However his genitals and asshole were fully taped.

If Steve-o had the foresight to tape his shit up, then I don't understand how these scientist can just say shut your mouth and maybe you'll be fine. Seems pretty insane to me.

Is there anything that can be done about the IOC being blatantly corrupt? That's the only way this can be explained. I hope the media doesn't try to sugar coat the conditions if they're truly this bad. If dead fish are visible during a race, I want the commentators to voice their disgust and bewilderment that this is happening, not clever camera angles. I want to hear shit like, "Bob, as long as the triathlete can stay out of that patch of dead fish and floating feces, it's anyone's race."

I read this in the MxC commentators' voices. They would be appropriate for covering this shitshow.

It's official, 2016 has become a shitshow, thanks to the Olympics. This one is gonna be a keeper for the record books and I hope every athlete that participates gets their shots. They're probably gonna need them.

Keasar

cohen-hazmat-suits.jpg

"Here we see the athletes of..... some country, it's kinda hard to see, but good luck to whoever they are!"

JABEE

Is there any level of disease and bacteria that would actually cause the IOC to cancel these events or have them take place somewhere else?

Are lawsuits possible?

Is there any level of disease and bacteria that would actually cause the IOC to cancel these events or have them take place somewhere else?

Are lawsuits possible?

Could people sue? I mean, if you see and smell it, but still waddle in it with all orifices open to contamination, I would assume not so much, but maybe I'm quite wrong and its not that simple.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I feel bad for the athletes. With the Olympics only being once every four years a lot of these athletes don't have the option to just sit this one out and compete in the next one which may or may not be another absolute shit show. They have trained their asses off for what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The OIC should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this actual shit show to take place. I'm a firm believer that the OIC should designate 3 or 4 locations around the world to host the Olympics permenatny on a rotation. I don't even understand why a city would even want to host the Olympics in the first place. They almost always lose money.

If there were 4 different sites for the Olympics it would also be so much more environmentally friendly. The current systems just promotes our 'throw away' society. The host city wastes a lot of energy and resources to build mini cities that are only used a handful of times. I'm sure some of the buildings and housing can be re-purposed but not enough to justify the cost both financially and environmentally.

Kinyou

shira

I feel bad for the athletes. With the Olympics only being once every four years a lot of these athletes don't have the option to just sit this one out and compete in the next one which may or may not be another absolute shit show. They have trained their asses off for what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

You doubting Japan's ability to hold games?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

2MF

It's easy guys! While you're putting all of your energy, effort and concentration into beating the world class athletes next to you, just keep in mind that your mouth needs to be closed, and do it!

If you do get sick, despair not. World class medical facilities are only several hours away.

edit: This is the part that gets me:

During a surfing competition held in Rio last year, organizers say that a quarter of the participants suffered from nausea, diarrhea or vomiting after entering the water.

How can it be OK to hold water events in this situation? Clearly it's not just theoretical, there are actual people getting sick in this hellhole.

Social

The OIC should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this actual shit show to take place. I'm a firm believer that the OIC should designate 3 or 4 locations around the world to host the Olympics permenatny on a rotation. I don't even understand why a city would even want to host the Olympics in the first place. They almost always lose money.

If there were 4 different sites for the Olympics it would also be so much more environmentally friendly. The current systems just promotes our 'throw away' society. The host city wastes a lot of energy and resources to build mini cities that are only used a handful of times. I'm sure some of the buildings and housing can be re-purposed but not enough to justify the cost both financially and environmentally.

I was talking about this exact idea to my wife today, I don't understand why they don't do this!! It makes all the sense, The World Olympics hosted from multiple countries. It's even greater for business and tourism!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom