• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists advise Olympians interacting with Rio waters to keep their mouths closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vile.
Worst part is, water will be cleaned for the event only, and only superficially on surface level.

And then it'll be straight back to this and no one will care

dead-fish-rio-de-janeiro.jpg

MisterNoisy

I have no idea why the USOC hasn't said 'fuck this shit' and bailed for the safety of its athletes, but I guess Reebok and Nike need to get paid, so there it is.

Multiple kidnappings for ransom, toxic water, uncontrolled zika and dangerously substandard quarters for visiting athletes... Maybe Brazil wasn't the right call - it's almost as stupid as holding a World Cup in Qatar.

Kid Ying

When the athletes have been training years if not their entire lives for this moment, it's difficult to blame them for wanting to contiune. In their minds, this is just another obstacle to overcome.
I don't blame them, but i also don't blame the ioc when they tried to change the venue but couldn't. The town hall said it was going to clean those waters and when it was obvious they couldn't, ioc wanted to change the place. There's not much more they could've done there

It's not like the athletes aren't training there for quite some time. Months already. They know the place fairly well. No one will be surprised by the awful water.

This is insane. It's weird because at the end of the day, I feel like the FIFA WC ran smoothly (whether or not the country should host with the amount of corruption that happened there is a different matter). This Olympic Games is a fucking mess though.

If I were in sailing, open water swimming, or triathlon, I would withdraw. Regular swimming in the pool, water polo, etc should be fine from this, I guess.

I read this in the MxC commentators' voices. They would be appropriate for covering this shitshow.

Vic Romano: "Look there, Kenny! Here comes Ali Babaganoosh leading the Egyptian team in the Rowing finals!"

Kenny Blankenship: "Hey, check it out, the water is dissolving their oars right before our eyes!"

Vic: "Right you are Ken, let's see if they can make it to shore before their boat melts and their legs rot away!"

DiscoJer

Am I the only one that read that as "waiters"?

I was thinking "That's awfully rude. And besides, what are they supposed to do, point at the menus?"

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Bit late for "without incident".

I don't see the correlation other than that it happened in Rio.

He just lives there. He doesn't compete in the olympics because Jiu Jitsu isn't an olympic sport, as said in the article.

Amalthea

Banned
So the water sports athletes might get sick from the hospital waste in the bay and then get into the hospital where their vomit and diarrhea returns to the bay where more athletes get sick, then this repeats until the end of the Olympics 16?

Yuck...

I feel bad for the athletes. With the Olympics only being once every four years a lot of these athletes don't have the option to just sit this one out and compete in the next one which may or may not be another absolute shit show. They have trained their asses off for what could be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The OIC should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this actual shit show to take place. I'm a firm believer that the OIC should designate 3 or 4 locations around the world to host the Olympics permenatny on a rotation. I don't even understand why a city would even want to host the Olympics in the first place. They almost always lose money.

If there were 4 different sites for the Olympics it would also be so much more environmentally friendly. The current systems just promotes our 'throw away' society. The host city wastes a lot of energy and resources to build mini cities that are only used a handful of times. I'm sure some of the buildings and housing can be re-purposed but not enough to justify the cost both financially and environmentally.

Am sure there are article which will prove otherwise but the London games in Stratford have kicked off real regeneration. I doubt the place would be the way it is without the games.

Granted.. had the UK spent all those billions on housing and retail we would of had a lot more but we live in a world of politics. No way one spot would get such lavish treatment over the rest of the country.

Anyways back to OP.... I too feel sad for Olympians. They have to duke it out with the local police, doctors and public sector workers protesting, the villages are not ready and the sanitation is terrible. Any athlete's which gets knocked out due to sickness is one too many.

I hope these games pull through but already it's not as hyped as it should be. Time will tell.

Obligatory go GB !

dani_dc

I don't see the correlation other than that it happened in Rio.

He just lives there. He doesn't compete in the olympics because Jiu Jitsu isn't an olympic sport, as said in the article.

My mistake, missed that he wasn't competing.

platakul

Banned
I have no idea why the USOC hasn't said 'fuck this shit' and bailed for the safety of its athletes, but I guess Reebok and Nike need to get paid, so there it is.

Multiple kidnappings for ransom, toxic water, uncontrolled zika and dangerously substandard quarters for visiting athletes... Maybe Brazil wasn't the right call - it's almost as stupid as holding a World Cup in Qatar.
You also have people that have trained their whole life and this is their only shot so thata hars
But if i was mike phelps id be staying home. Granted he'll be treatwd like royalty and the indoor pools arent presumably infected

It seems like a really bad idea to go forward with the games there.

Too much money has changed hands and it's late now.
Look at all the madness surrounding World Cup Qatar 2022 and it's still full steam ahead...

Major sporting events like these are becoming such a money fueled joke, it's pathetic.

Animator

So much fear over the Olympic Games. It will likely pass without incident.

You mean other than the fact that Athletes are being mugged at gunpoint and the Olympic village is unlivable, cops and firefighters are holding up signs saying "you are not safe in Rio" and the olympics didn't even start yet? yea I am sure it will pass without incident.

You mean other than the fact that Athletes are being mugged at gunpoint and the Olympic village is unlivable, cops and firefighters are holding up signs saying "you are not safe in Rio" and the olympics didn't even start yet? yea I am sure it will pass without incident.

+ The poor jaguar that got killed.

woolley

I feel like nobody cares about these olympics. There's usually a bunch of fanfair going in but I barely notice anyone talking about it. We are only a couple of weeks away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom