• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With months left, Rio won't be ready for the 2016 Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...pic-training-competition-sites-rio-de-janiero

Rio's final 2009 bid book included a seven-year commitment to tackling an environmental disaster that took decades to create. The widespread absence of modern sanitation was spun into an asset by the leaders of Rio's campaign. The direct, flattering appeal to the International Olympic Committee was this: Bestow the transformative power of your three-week event on our city. We need the Games more than Chicago does, more than Madrid.

The same bid document asserted that the Brazilian economy was stable and called funding for Rio 2016 "secure." Six months shy of the opening ceremony, however, recession reigns, inflation rages in double digits and the Games budget has taken a significant hit. Brazil's public health system, already reeling, now must cope with the burgeoning Zika virus epidemic.

Profound and intractable as the city's sanitation problems are, the precise risks to Olympic athletes competing on any given day this summer are hard to calculate. Some got sick at sporting test events last year, but none of these cases has been publicly, definitively connected to the water, as opposed to food or another source.

Few athletes of any nationality care to dwell on the subject. They're trained to play the schedule and focus on what they can control. There are exceptions, such as Martine Grael, who says she has hauled discarded television sets out of the water during training sessions, and Dutch windsurfer Dorian van Rijsselberghe, the defending Olympic champion. An ambassador for the Netherlands-based nonprofit Plastic Soup Foundation, van Rijsselberghe called the conditions in Rio "disgustingly filthy and dangerous" in a blog written after he won the Copa Brasil de Vela event in Guanabara Bay in December:

"A member of our coaching staff almost puked while entering the Olympic harbor," van Rijsselberghe wrote in text translated and posted on the foundation's website.

"Raw sewage. The athletes do not talk about it. ... They are not there to challenge the world's environmental issues. But the athletes are all concerned and deeply worried.

"I am happy I won last week. Maybe I won because I had the least amount of debris on my fin."

Long article, much more at the link.

How does this affect your opinion of the upcoming Olympic games? For me, it makes me not want to watch them and avoid coverage. I'm disappointed in Brazil's government for promising unrealistic goals and in the IOC for, as we've seen, awarding bids as matters of corruption.

FStop7

Banned
Has any Olympic city ever been ready in time? I don't even think Beijing quite made it. It's a low key disaster every single time.

Doesn't this happen every time the Games are coming? The host country is always unready, but once the Games are about to start, the venue is ready. It's like the international scale version of putting off all the shit you need to do until right before deadline.

DominoKid

that's nice. Olympics still gonna be entertaining as fuck tho.

Dream Team plus Usain's Last (?) Ride gonna have me glued to the TV.

Ioc corruption, shocking
Selecting hosts without the infrastructure in exchange for graft and damage to the host, check

Olympics Should be chosen from among 15-20 legit prepared hosts with the proper infrastructure. Oh and also no unprocessed human feces where events are taking place.

Kinyou

Doesn't this happen every time the Games are coming? The host country is always unready, but once the Games are about to start, the venue is ready. It's like the international scale version of putting off all the shit you need to do until right before deadline.
But usually it's just something about finishing up the stadiums or something. Sanitary problems could turn really unpleasant.

Not that I doubt that there will be some serious problems, but I feel like I've heard this story about every Olympics and World Cup that's happened and in the end it turns out well enough for the audience to not really notice.

Ioc corruption, shocking
Selecting hosts without the infrastructure in exchange for graft and damage to the host, check

Olympics Should be chosen from among 15-20 legit prepared hosts with the proper infrastructure. Oh and also no unprocessed human feces where events are taking place.

there aren't 15-20 cities on earth that are ready host the olympics when they make their bids. And most of the cities that are capable of doing it are in the US.

subrock

I'll be avoiding the olympics as usual. Just can't get down with the destruction it brings to countries with impoverished people.

Sagroth

I love the Olympics, but fuck the sanitation issues that actually threaten the health of athletes.

I hope the impending disaster this will be ends up being entertaining at least.

But usually it's just something about finishing up the stadiums or something. Sanitary problems could turn really unpleasant.
It's always something. I remember Beijing had some human rights issues, and Sochi has some political stuff, right?

Plus, Brazil was able to pull the World Cup out of their ass just recently, so they can probably do it again for the Olympics.

I don't there has ever been a literal shit storm.

MK_768

It's always something. I remember Beijing had some human rights issues, and Sochi has some political stuff, right?

Plus, Brazil was able to pull the World Cup out of their ass just recently, so they can probably do it again for the Olympics.

Yeah but dont some of the athletes for the Games have to compete in water that are filled with viral diseases?

Didn't Beijing also had health issues with airborne pollution?

No, they closed the factories for it.

Usually, yeah, they would have all sorts of problems. The Beijing Marathon is usually a clown show for how many people actually finish it. However, for big events, such as the Olympics, or the 70th anniversary of VJ day, they close the factories for a couple weeks to get blue skies.

Josh5890

I love the Olympics but the IOC has ruined them. The 2004 games contributed to Greece's financial problems. 2006 in Turino haven't been much better for Italy. 2014 was horrible in Sochi. 2016 in Rio is looking bad.

Given the politics surrounding the bidding for the host cities and how no decent city wants to touch it with a ten foot pole, I would say the future of the games is in jeopardy unless systematic change occurs.

No, they closed the factories for it.

Usually, yeah, they would have all sorts of problems. The Beijing Marathon is usually a clown show for how many people actually finish it. However, for big events, such as the Olympics, or the 70th anniversary of VJ day, they close the factories for a couple weeks to get blue skies.

Some athlete still showed up in a gas mask to make a statement anyway.

Cipherr

I'm going to be livid if this ruins the games. I have absolutely adored the summer olympics ever since I was a small child.

I dont understand how they are so unorganized. It seems there's always so many problems. How many years in advance are the cities chosen? Probably needs to be a decade at least.

MK_768

I love the Olympics but the IOC has ruined them. The 2004 games contributed to Greece's financial problems. 2006 in Turino haven't been much better for Italy. 2014 was horrible in Sochi. 2016 in Rio is looking bad.

Given the politics surrounding the bidding for the host cities and how no decent city wants to touch it with a ten foot pole, I would say the future of the games is in jeopardy unless systematic change occurs.

Yeah. I think it would only benefit countries that already have the infrastructure in place. The U.S seems logical with NYC and LA. Of course traffic would be a nightmare. New Yorkers are already close to killing each other as is because of it lmao.

But both cities have the venues. LA is getting a new(and very expensive) NFL stadium.

I think another issue is what do cities do with the venues they built after the Olympics. I'm not sure on specifics but I'm willing to guess that a lot of venues built for the Olympics just go unused afterwards.

Tripon

Well, as others said, this is a consequence of rampant corruption. The IOC and the Olympics need to take its lumps in order to ensure that the next Olympics are hosted by cities that can handle it.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Has any Olympic city ever been ready in time? I don't even think Beijing quite made it. It's a low key disaster every single time.

I think Vancouver managed to make it and the biggest problem they had was totally out of their hands (mountains weren't as snowy that season and they had to ship in some).

I could be wrong though.

EBreda

Fuck the bidding process that rewards the most corrupt governments.

Fuck Rio and its shitty venues, water, crime, corruption, and government.

Fuck the government that spent billions on this shitty process, and is - to this day - spending much more than what was initially allowed, while having its pocket full of bribe money.

Fuck we Brazilian idiots that are financing this shit storm while not having any benefit at all. Let's pray we don't get much more ruined than we are now before this ridiculous mess starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom