• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympics features record number of openly LGBT athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.
nUdpkVyh.jpg

bUofgkhh.jpg

KRtQp2nh.jpg

It's likely to prove one of Rio 2016's most memorable moments and it has nothing to with the winning of medals.

While rugby player Isadora Cerullo didn't secure a bronze, silver or gold medal, she won a partner for life after girlfriend Marjorie Enya, a volunteer at the 2016 Olympics, proposed to her in front of teammates, volunteers and media. Without hesitation Cerullo said yes and the Rio Games had it's first marriage proposal.

It was also a proposal that highlighted a rising trend for the LGBT community -- Rio 2016 has a record number of out athletes.

Human Rights campaign estimates that there are at least 41 openly lesbian, gay and bisexual Olympians -- up from 23 that participated in London 2012 -- though Outsports.com puts that number much higher at 49.

Rio 2016 also marked the first time a transgender model has been used at an Opening Ceremony after Brazilian model Lea T rode into the Maracana stadium pedaling the bicycle that carried Brazil's name ahead of the host team marching out.

While it's true that these Olympic games are much more progressive, there are still instances of discrimination and Walter says that it's important to call these out.

Outsports reports that football fans at the opening matches of the Olympic women's soccer tournament chanted homophobic slurs at some of the players.

Cerullo says while she hasn't seen any discrimination out on the pitch, she has encountered it from people when they look at her muscular body. She says most people still see rugby as a men's game and discriminate against the female team.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/11/sport/rio-2016-lgbt-olympians/

Lock and lose the key if old

Sounds a lot like LGB rather than LGBT.
I think it'll take a while to get a grasp on how to treat transgendered athletes at events such as this. Do you have any ideas? I mean, I don't really know enough to say whether they should or shouldn't compete with their psychological instead of birth gender. My gut says 'I don't care, just let them compete with their psychological gender' but I can see why that would maybe(?) give women born as a man a physical advantage? Or would it not?

I mean, shit, I can't imagine how difficult this will be to explain to the public at large but I really hope we reach a point where transgender athletes can compete and can do so happily.

Auctopus

I think it'll take a while to get a grasp on how to treat transgendered athletes at events such as this. Do you have any ideas? I mean, I don't really know enough to say whether they should or shouldn't compete with their psychological instead of birth gender. My gut says 'I don't care, just let them compete with their psychological gender' but I can see why that would maybe(?) give women born as a man a physical advantage? Or would it not?

I agree that I want the Olympics to be as inclusive as possible but just look at the different stats between Men & Women's Tennis to see that there would be serious advantages and disadvantages in the sport.

A friend of mine plays Quidditch for his country and he was telling me about how inclusive that sport is on an International level but that some countries do take advantage of that.

Violet_0

Banned
I agree that I want the Olympics to be as inclusive as possible but just look at the different stats between Men & Women's Tennis to see that there would be serious advantages and disadvantages in the sport.

A friend of mine plays Quidditch for his country and he was telling me about how inclusive that sport is on an International level but that some countries do take advantage of that.

I looked it up on google image search to see if they ride brooms and sure enough they do

I mean, shit, I can't imagine how difficult this will be to explain to the public at large but I really hope we reach a point where transgender athletes can compete and can do so happily.

I mean, being born a man is a clear and distinct advantage in nearly every sport. There's tons of evidence to support this - just look at the differences in speed between any male swimmer or runner and any female.

The transperson discussion is much more difficult than just letting people participate wherever they want to.

Ekai

I mean, being born a man is a clear and distinct advantage in nearly every sport. There's tons of evidence to support this - just look at the differences in speed between any male swimmer or runner and any female.

The transperson discussion is much more difficult than just letting people participate wherever they want to.

Considering that HRT does heavily influence the muscle mass of transwomen, I feel like this is a discussion most are not properly prepared for.

Misha

Banned

Already solved
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tes-can-take-part-in-olympics-without-surgery

The ioc allows anyone to compete with their gender so long as they have 2 years of hormone replacement therapy

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4918835
And yes it's proven that there's no meaningful difference between cis and trans athletes after hormones are corrected

There's tons of evidence to support this - just look at the differences in speed between any male swimmer or runner and any female.
That just proves that there's differences between cis women and cis men. That has nothing to do with trans athletes

Ekai

BajiBoxer

Banned
Already solved
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...tes-can-take-part-in-olympics-without-surgery

The ioc allows anyone to compete with their gender so long as they have 2 years of hormone replacement therapy

And yes it's proven that there's no meaningful difference between cis and trans athletes after hormones are corrected

That just proves that there's differences between cis women and cis men. That has nothing to do with trans athletes

Thanks, didn't know that.

mclem

I had noticed that a number of the big romantic stories of the Games were LGBT romantic stories of the games, which is great.

Platy

Funniest thing about that is that a Field Hockey Women's team had a couple playingin the same team .... and the local tv saw that both had the same last name and called them "sisters".

Had serious Sailor Moon flashbacks =P

And if you look at the differences in speed between any Phelps Swimmer and any non-phelps male swimmers you will see there are tons of evidence to support the banning of Phelps swimmers !

=P

mclem

Funniest thing about that is that a Field Hockey Women's team had a couple playingin the same team .... and the local tv saw that both had the same last name and called them "sisters".

Yep, that's us here in GBR. Helen Walsh and Kate Richardson becaome Helen and Kate Richardson-Walsh.

It's not just that they had the same name, but surely if they've got a double-barrelled name you have to consider the possibility that it came about from the, well, usual way names become double-barrelled!

Another proposal relating to GBR, too:

kGjl2Z4.png

(He's a race walker)

TBiddy

Already solved

Caster Semenya is often brought up in these discussions: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/caster-semenya-dilemma

The issue, as I see it, is that CAS doesn't agree with the whole testosterone-thing and are forcing IAAF to think of something else. After the requirements were shelved Semenya has improved her personal best by 4 seconds, as well as setting the fastest time in 7 years.

If there's no rules regarding this, I'd argue that "normal" (whatever that is) women won't stand a chance.

But what are IAAF supposed to do? How do you define a man or a woman? Which limits should be setup?

edit: More reading stuff:
As a result of the 2015 CAS decision, Chand, Semenya, and other similar athletes no longer need make any efforts to lower their natural testosterone.

Rayis

Caster Semenya is often brought up in these discussions: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/caster-semenya-dilemma

The issue, as I see it, is that CAS doesn't agree with the whole testosterone-thing and are forcing IAAF to think of something else. After the requirements were shelved Semenya has improved her personal best by 4 seconds, as well as setting the fastest time in 7 years.

If there's no rules regarding this, I'd argue that "normal" (whatever that is) women won't stand a chance.

But what are IAAF supposed to do? How do you define a man or a woman? Which limits should be setup?

edit: More reading stuff:
This is a different case, Semenya is intersex, not trans, they allow trans women to compete with cis women if they have undergone hormone replacement therapy for at least 2 years, at which point their body has the same amount of testosterone or even less than that of cis women.

TBiddy

This is a different case, Semenya is intersex, not trans, they allow trans women to compete with cis women if they have undergone hormone replacement therapy for at least 2 years, at which point their body has the same amount of testosterone or even less than that of cis women.

True, but the issue still remains. In all likelihood Semenya will destroy the competetion this year. What should be done about that, if anything? A normal women will not stand a chance - all things considered - against her.

Also, I agree with Harper. If testosterone limits are enforced, it should be enforced on all competetitors in the female races. Problem is, that noone really knows how much testosterone affects your performance. So is it fair to base it solely on that?

It's an incredibly interesting and complex discussion, and I'm glad I'm not the one making the rules. Go too far one way, and you'll end up removing the vast majority that aren't trans or intersex from the competition, since cases such as Semenya will dominate for years. Go too far the other way, and you'll have a lot of people, who'll be excluded from competing.

Log4Girlz

Yep, that's us here in GBR. Helen Walsh and Kate Richardson becaome Helen and Kate Richardson-Walsh.

It's not just that they had the same name, but surely if they've got a double-barrelled name you have to consider the possibility that it came about from the, well, usual way names become double-barrelled!

Another proposal relating to GBR, too:

kGjl2Z4.png

(He's a race walker)

Time to race walk down the aisle

ShyMel

Awesome! It's great to see that all of these athletes can be open and show affections for their boyfriends/girlfriends during such an important event.

I believe in tennis the way it works is, a female -> male can start competing almost immediately after transitioning. I think they just need a signed document from the doctor that oversaw the procedure.

A male -> female athlete would have to sit out competition for either one or two years before competing.

I doubt the governing tennis bodies invented those rules so they're probably standard across many sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom