• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympics sponsors want nothing to do with Team USA shooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regiruler

I think there is a demographic that are interested in such sports as opposed to traditional ones, but the way typical sports programming has billed itself has programmed the people interested in the more niche sports into being disinterested in televised sports altogether.

Just a weird anecdote of sorts. Accuracy-based sports like this interest me a lot but I can't bring myself to dig through the mass that is olympic coverage to find and watch them.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/aug/12/kim-rhode-shooting-rio-olympics-2016

And so on the day she made history she was talking politics in a tent 6,000 miles away from her Southern California home.

“Well I think it kind of says it for itself,” she said. “I’m definitely Trump! He’s very much for the Second Amendment.”

Soon there came more questions ...

Do you support Trump solely because of guns?

“It’s a list of things yes, it’s not just one thing but you have to take a candidate in all. But definitely Second Amendment is a big one for me, being that’s how I make my livelihood and something that is so passionate and important for me and my family for generations. Heck, I had family that was one of the 25 hand-picked men that was picked to go in and save Custer and Custer’s battlefield.”

But as a female athlete who just made Olympic history wouldn’t you want a woman president?

“You know I mean definitely having a [female] president would be incredible just not Hillary,” she said.

Then Rhode laughed.

Dai101

Banned
I don't know whether I should laugh or cry.

I have the perfect reaction

2oz84H7.gif

If you want to be ensured lots of endorsements as an Olympian in the US then there are basically four or so sports that you should be involved in. 100m sprint, swimming, gymnastics, and soccer. And in the case of gymnastics, you're kinda screwed if you're a male gymnast. I saw an article a few days ago about how the US male gymnasts want to be objectified because it would give them more attention and possibly make them more money. Otherwise it's impossible to make a living as a male gymnast in the US.

I've shot competitive skeet for years and trap to a lesser extent and now occasionally shoot skeet for some quality time with my dad. However, I rather watch someone try to glue a clay pigeon back together than either sport on TV. Archery for whatever reason is so much more enjoyable to watch despite only shooting a few arrows from a beginner bow as a teen. Skeet and trap just don't televise well. The hits happen quickly and the misses are sometimes hard to notice without the judge. Archery, everyone understands a target with 10 in the middle. Yeah the other firearm events have targets but everything feels so removed. Zero recoil weapons that make a clack held by subdued athletes. Not exactly as exlposive as a 100m sprit, despite ironically being the only Olympic sport that contains actual explosions.

As someone else mentioned, 3 gun would probably be the only shooting event that would play well on TV. That or a fun sporting clays course.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Make it like fencing.

1v1

Full body protective suit.

Paint balls.

Would watch that, maybe.

A paintball arena might be more fun though.

ViciousDS

Banned
Make it like fencing.

1v1

Full body protective suit.

Paint balls.

Would watch that, maybe.

A paintball arena might be more fun though.

Paintball as an Olympic sport would be much more awesome to watch. That shits intense with folks diving.....some picking up a few core samples lol and blasting paint away

It's also a little bit easier to market XD

FyreWulff

Generally you want to use pictures of the athlete doing their thing in ads/merch, and someone holding a gun on a Coke can just ain't gonna work out.

OmegaFax

I've always seen the sport as a bit strange and a culture clash between the US and the rest of the world. Sure, there are a lot of marksmen out there around the world and this, like archery, is a sport about precision and marksmanship. Not hunting. Not hurting people. *shrugs*

Oh yeah each of these gets 4 hours of coverage on CNN each night
If you want to deny that a shooting is given coverage nearly every week whether through local or national news, go ahead. Won't cover up the national wound, so don't see your overall point being anything other than pedantic accuracy that misses the forest for the trees.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/aug/12/kim-rhode-shooting-rio-olympics-2016

And so on the day she made history she was talking politics in a tent 6,000 miles away from her Southern California home.

“Well I think it kind of says it for itself,” she said. “I’m definitely Trump! He’s very much for the Second Amendment.”

Soon there came more questions ...

Do you support Trump solely because of guns?

“It’s a list of things yes, it’s not just one thing but you have to take a candidate in all. But definitely Second Amendment is a big one for me, being that’s how I make my livelihood and something that is so passionate and important for me and my family for generations. Heck, I had family that was one of the 25 hand-picked men that was picked to go in and save Custer and Custer’s battlefield.”

But as a female athlete who just made Olympic history wouldn’t you want a woman president?

“You know I mean definitely having a [female] president would be incredible just not Hillary,” she said.

Then Rhode laughed.

Yeah ok, now I get why they don't want to sponsor her crazy ass.

Log4Girlz

Considering this country's support of the 2nd amendment despite tens of thousands of gun deaths a year, maybe Kool Aid could be the sponsor.

Pendas

Banned
However people feel about guns, Marksmanship is a sport, and a great amount of skill and practice goes into it. That being said, I understand why these companies choose not to associate themselves with her given the recent gun violence in America. The average person isn't going to put much thought into it and just think "Person with gun? Bad." Public Perception is incredibly important these days.

gcubed

“The big mystery is how someone like Kim isn’t part of the Coca-Cola, Procter & Gamble, and the Olympics sponsor push,” Quinn said by phone from Chicago. “It would be nice to have an Olympic sponsor recognize the magnitude of her accomplishment.”

Is it really?

Chumly

Can't she get some big sponsorship from one of the gun makers? Considering you know she is shooting guns?

Most other companies not only don't want to be associated with guns which is fine but the especially don't want to be associated with an outspoken 2nd amendment advocate that could say embarrassing things.

NoRéN

Aww, poor white lady. She couldn't make it more that a page(or two) before she was exposed as a terrible person.

Shooting as a sport is far more fun if you're taking part in it rather than watching it. Air pistol/air rifle is far more accessible than any other shooting sport even if you don't live in the US.

EulaCapra

Shooting (and all its variants) have ranked up there for me alongside Golf, Race Walking, and Sailing when it comes to unbelievably boring Olympic sports to watch. No thank you, sponsors.

Especially Air Rifle/Pistol. Jesus Christ. Awful.

Piggus

Oh no! What a travesty!

I've always seen the sport as a bit strange and a culture clash between the US and the rest of the world. Sure, there are a lot of marksmen out there around the world and this, like archery, is a sport about precision and marksmanship. Not hunting. Not hurting people. *shrugs*

What about Basketball, where we typically dominate to the point where it isn't even fair to other countries' teams? Marksmanship isn't anything new, and in many shooting events the US isn't even close to being dominant.

zou

She also startled a French reporter when she told him that she has her three-year-old son in a youth programs with the National Rifle Association. “I’m covering all the bases,” she said in terms of introducing him to guns.

Who wouldn't want to sponsor her.

Paganmoon

Paintball as an Olympic sport would be much more awesome to watch. That shits intense with folks diving.....some picking up a few core samples lol and blasting paint away

It's also a little bit easier to market XD

Nofunallowed.jpg

The paintball association in Sweden tried to join the "sports shooting federation" of Sweden a few years ago (as they are a very small association and wanted to join under the umbrella of a larger federation), and got a resounding "NO!" from them, as they found it appalling that you pretty much use other people as live target practice.
I'm sure it would not go over very well with the IOC either.

Also, if I recall correctly, Eurosport tried televising paintball a few years ago, on the bigger tournaments, it was a dud, as it's pretty hard to follow live, if you don't play it yourself.

Piggus

Who wouldn't want to sponsor her.

Her life basically centers around shooting sports, so obviously she's a 1-issue voter for the most part. You do realize that many of the huge corporate sponsors are run by conservatives, right?

As for the NRA thing, one of the dumbest things you can do as a parent is build an intrigue around guns for your kids and not teach them early on that they are not toys. What is it with anti-gun people thinking that teaching kids to respect guns and understand gun safety is such a travesty?

I think the sponsors should be applauded for this decision. Nothing against the athletes representing us, but guns don't deserve any more of a platform than they already do in our everyday culture, especially when bad actors will use it to their advantage to help promote unconscionable inaction on gun violence.

I will buy and drink a coke in celebration of this move. Seriously.

chefboy

Neo Member
Maybe it is just me, but I find sports like shooting and archery to be much better than some ridiculous ones like synchronized water dancing or that gymnastic baton twirling one. I mean, shooting and archery is actually practical, but maybe it's just my opinion.

Kettch

Can't she get some big sponsorship from one of the gun makers? Considering you know she is shooting guns?

Most other companies not only don't want to be associated with guns which is fine but the especially don't want to be associated with an outspoken 2nd amendment advocate that could say embarrassing things.

It sounds like they're already sponsored by gun manufacturers.

So while companies like Winchester, Beretta and Otis Technology support Rhode, she doesn’t have a single sponsor from outside the firearm industry.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Seems like trying to make something political out of it when really it's just that no one gives a fuck about this boring sport. See also: dozens of other Olympic sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom