• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists advise Olympians interacting with Rio waters to keep their mouths closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/olympics/article/Rio-olympics-water-Guanabara-Bay-sewage-bacteria-8466203.php

Updated 11:44 am, Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Despite years of cleanup attempts, health experts say the waters off Rio are so disgusting, Olympic marathon swimmers, sailors and windsurfers will "literally be swimming in human crap."

A battery of tests by government and independent scientists recently revealed that seven years of cleanup attempts have done little to disinfect the petri dish of Guanabara Bay. The New York Times reports that viruses that cause diarrhea are in the waters, as well as a "superbacteria that can be fatal to people with weakened immune systems."

As a result, scientists have advised Olympians interacting with the bay to keep their mouths closed to avoid ingesting the water.

Scientists say that feces from a nearby hospital and municipal sewage plant pours into the water untreated. And if that doesn't make your lunch rise in your throat, don't forget that dead bodies — animal and human — are found floating in the bay with upsetting regularity.

"It's disgusting," Nigel Cochrane, a coach for the Spanish women's sailing team, told the Times. "We're very concerned."

This, of course, is a ongoing human health crisis for the hundreds of thousands of Brazilians who have long lived with Rio's terrible sanitation standards. A public health expert told the AP that Rio's sewage system is "comparable with London or Paris in the 14th or 15th century."

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
raiders-of-the-lost-ark-screenplay.gif

KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT

JaseMath

This olympics is going to be such a shit show.

EDIT:
A public health expert told the AP that Rio's sewage system is "comparable with London or Paris in the 14th or 15th century."

WHAT THE FUCK

When the Olympic Committee granted Brazil these Olympics, were the waters and general atmosphere of Brazil as completely fucked up as it is now?

Was this something that sprung up after the fact?

How do they not research this stuff ahead of time?

tuxfool

Banned
When the Olympic Committee granted Brazil these Olympics, were the waters and general atmosphere of Brazil as completely fucked up as it is now?

money cures all ills.

They literally don't care. This is going to be a phenomenal shitshow.

They knew. The government just made a promise that it would all be cleaned up in time. Needless to say, this has proved impossible.

Why just the mouths

Put tape over your nostrils, ears, buttholes, crotch holes, and any type of hole where fecal matter might go into

I would not swim in that water for a million dollars. Maybe I would. I dunno.

MikeDown

Banned
Good luck to hose n the triathlon
Gonna see some records broken as athletes swim to get out of the water as fast as possible

Xe4

Banned

I'm sure a handy bribe and a promise that it would be cleaned up would do the trick.

If I was an athlete with the ability to compete, I would have seriously considered staying home this time. This event sounds like a disaster at every turn with potential health risks too.

Oh shit, sounds nasty. I certainly wouldn't like to be in that water. I can imagine a few folk might have some nasty diseases and infections in the months after the games, I'm sorry but personally there is no chance I'd go near that water not even for huge sums of money, never mind a medal.

burnjanso

Usually countries hosting an Olympic event will try to keep promises that won them the event for various reasons, but at this point I think Brazil doesn't care any more.

Kid Ying

Good luck to hose n the triathlon
Gonna see some records broken as athletes swim to get out of the water as fast as possible
Triathlon will not hold on that bay, it will be on copacaba beach. The only sport that will be hold at the bay is sailing. There will contact with water, though.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Maybe they can make a new event: who can stay out of hospital the longest.to go with who can get robbed the most times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom