• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With months left, Rio won't be ready for the 2016 Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year these articles about how these countries aren't ready pop up (not London for obvious reasons), like clockwork.

But at least for Russia and China, I knew they would/could pay out the ass to at least appear finished and they basically succeed. Can't say the same for Brazil.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Has any Olympic city ever been ready in time? I don't even think Beijing quite made it. It's a low key disaster every single time.

Doesn't this happen every time the Games are coming? The host country is always unready, but once the Games are about to start, the venue is ready. It's like the international scale version of putting off all the shit you need to do until right before deadline.
So, having certain things not quite ready and having raw sewage where you expect athletes to compete are two wholly and completely different things.

I wish we would just say no. Don't send Amrican athletes to get sick with Zika or polluted water or whatever. We don't need this. It's time to stop the madness.

Walpurgis

Banned
I hope this shines a light on the domestic problems in Brazil that are usually out of sight for the international community. Hopefully, something good comes from all this. I wonder if this will have any effect on the situation in Venezuela.
Oh wow, I actually forgot that the Olympics were happening this year. That's a first for me.
Wow. I forgot too. o.o

Fuchsdh

Honestly, if I was an Olympic athlete I wouldn't go to Brazil. I would skip it.

Problem for athletes is Olympics are only every four years. For some people this is their only shot. I don't think a lot of them would turn down that opportunity even with the risks.

As bad as it is, imagine how crappy it is for the people who have to live there.

Piggus

The sooner we get over this inflated shit show, the better. Making countries put up billions for a 3 week festival is insane.

The IOC isn't making anyone do anything. Countries/cities put in bids for this crap, just like the World Cup. That said, the IOC, much like FIFA, really shouldn't be awarding the games to places that clearly don't have the infrastructure for it.

Los Angeles

And we'll do it again.

ueq85zR.jpg

http://la24-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/pdf/LA2024-canditature-part1_english.pdf

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I have an interpreter friend who's benefitting from the Olympics happening in the city, so that's something. Still, can't wait for this shit to be over and done with.

Really wish the Olympics just rotated between 3-5 cities, or hell, were just in a single permanent location.

In the end I don't really care because the broadcasts are always too commercial filled for me to be able to handle. For every 10 minutes of actual competition we get 20 minutes of ads and another 20 minutes of bullshit commentary.

Mohonky

I haven't heard much about Brazil 2016, it's been unusually quiet. Usually the commrcial station doing that events coverage hype the crap out of it all year, this year it's like blah whatever.

Kind of worried for the Brazillians, they already lost out big time with the World Cup financially, now an Olympics? Can't go as bad as Greece, that was nearly a non event.

The conditions don't sound any worse than the Commonwealth games in India though lol. Athletes entering the village to toilets not hooked up to anything etc.

Honestly, if I was an Olympic athlete I wouldn't go to Brazil. I would skip it.

That's really, really not an option for the overwhelming majority of Olympians. Most aren't Michael Phelps - they're not rich, they probably won't get another chance to make it to the Olympics (especially if they just upped and skipped one after making it in), and even if they did make it in, 4 years is a long time, and could put people past their prime. For many, Rio will be literally their single big break.

Opto

Banned
World sports events are starting to look like a bad idea. I wonder what hilariously horrible conditions we'll get tweets of this year

Mobius 1

Fuck the bidding process that rewards the most corrupt governments.

Fuck Rio and its shitty venues, water, crime, corruption, and government.

Fuck the government that spent billions on this shitty process, and is - to this day - spending much more than what was initially allowed, while having its pocket full of bribe money.

Fuck we Brazilian idiots that are financing this shit storm while not having any benefit at all. Let's pray we don't get much more ruined than we are now before this ridiculous mess starts.

This. Brazilian here. Fuck Rio with a thorny acid covered dildo.

From the stories my parents told me, Sydney's Olympics were really good and pretty well run. I was too young to remember but my dad told me that it was the first time the trains actually ran on time in Sydney too. I'd like some confirmation or denial of this story.

billeh

Because it's a huge clusterfuck in about a thousand ways for the people who actually live there? Fuck the Olympics.
I would just work from home for about a month and just cackle from the outskirts of the city as the system crumbles from the congestion.

No idea how any of that shit would get paid for seeing as we're pretty screwed even without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom