• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Paralympian robbed at gunpoint in Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCS

Banned
Searched and found nothing, lock if old.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-36573618

An Australian athlete who has competed in six Paralympic Games has been robbed at gunpoint in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro.
Liesl Tesch said a man brandishing a gun pushed her off her bicycle and stole it on Sunday.
Australian Paralympic team physiotherapist Sarah Ross also lost her bicycle in the attack.
The Australian Olympic Committee has said Rio must improve security in the city in the aftermath of the robbery.

The 47-year-old, who described the incident as "absolutely horrific", said the two men who robbed her and Ms Ross initially demanded money.
When Tesch she told the gunman that she didn't have any money, "he just pushed me on the shoulder with his bare hand and I just fell down on the cobblestones," she told Australia's Seven Network.
The two women were training near Flamengo Beach. Tesch said several people saw the incident but no-one came to their aid.

The headline for this on the ABC website was something like 'paralympian robbed at gunpoint says Rio is not safe'. I was like nicolascage.jpg

Hjod

Banned
where are all those off duty cops

XS5LK.gif

Patryn

Rio will be a complete disaster.

People say that every year: Greece, Sochi, etc. and when the time for the games come, they'll put on a flashy opening ceremonies and all the TV networks will talk about how impressive everything is and everyone will forget all this.

Branduil

Amazing that 4 years later the Olympics will be in a city where you could probably drop your wallet on the ground and it would get back to you eventually.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
People say that every year: Greece, Sochi, etc. and when the time for the games come, they'll put on a flashy opening ceremonies and all the TV networks will talk about how impressive everything is and everyone will forget all this.

In all fairness, Sochi was kind of a shitshow.

CCS

Banned

I'm pretty sure none of those had the problems Rio does to the same extent e.g. water events taking place in incredibly unsafe water.

shira

fail.gif

Bishop89

Amazing that 4 years later the Olympics will be in a city where you could probably drop your wallet on the ground and it would get back to you eventually.

Yeh i travelled to Tokyo in December 2014, and I felt so safe.

Didn't feel like my life was in danger or threatened whatsoever.

Apt101

The Olympic games are just reasons for despicable people to get richer at this point. They hurt everyone who is not living behind walls in a gilded setting.

NSESN

I dropped R$ 50 here and people gave me back. Rio is violent, but not all people that live here are.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Isn't Brazil going thru a turbulent political situation currently ?

Yes, and criminality is worst than ever. I'm from Brazil and I really can't believe we are hosting the Olympics.

Ishan

Yes, and criminality is worst than ever. I'm from Brazil and I really can't believe we are hosting the Olympics.
Uhm countries have hosted during bad times and I don't think the ioc ever changes venues but when exactly is the transition politically viz a viz the Olympics ? I'm sure you'll pull it off but I was surprised at the political upheaval near the Olympics

Edit I'm sure it'll be great countries tend to pull together during Olympics

Edit 2 forgive me I thought your president was under impeachment proceedings is that concluded before or after the games ?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Uhm countries have hosted during bad times and I don't think the ioc ever changes venues but when exactly is the transition politically viz a viz the Olympics ? I'm sure you'll pull it off but I was surprised at the political upheaval near the Olympics

I think we should start pondering the meaning of pulling it off. What does it take for a country to "fail"? Stadiums collapsing and cities burning down? None of that is going to happen. But the olympics have already resulted in absurd amounts of money being syphoned out, expensive yet subpar, barely built infrastructure that will never be effectively put to use after the games and no measurable benefits to the citizenry, which remains subject to sky high levels of poverty and crime. And none of this is going to be fixed by the next month.

At some point somebody is going to say that enough is enough. For every London there's a Rio. That is simply not acceptable.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

Edit 2 forgive me I thought your president was under impeachment proceedings is that concluded before or after the games ?

It will be after the games.

clemenx

Banned
I'm kinda surprised the Brazilian government didn't go all The Purge vs crime in Rio. At least to try and save face.

In Tokyo they are all worried how unsafe their city will become with the influx of foreigners.

Ishan

I think we should start pondering the meaning of pulling it off. What does it take for a country to "fail"? Stadiums collapsing and cities burning down? None of that is going to happen. But the olympics have already resulted in absurd amounts of money being syphoned out, expensive yet subpar, barely built infrastructure that will never be effectively put to use after the games and no measurable benefits to the citizenry, which remains subject to sky high levels of poverty and crime. And none of this is going to be fixed by the next month.

At some point somebody is going to say that enough is enough. For every London there's a Rio. That is simply not acceptable.
Don't get me wrong India did the commonwealth games in 2010 and we were a mess too I just meant it as when it comes to these international events countries pull thru even at a bad cost to their economies at times

hunchback

In all fairness, Sochi was kind of a shitshow.

I was going to mention Sochi. That was the first time I have ever noticed a lack of orginzation and money. They didn't have hotels completed, the venue's seemed cheap.

There are going to be problems at Rio. I think they just asked for emergency funds if I'm not mistaken.

I'm kinda surprised the Brazilian government didn't go all The Purge vs crime in Rio. At least to try and save face.

You did see that the police down here just killed a ten year old via bullet applied directly to face and then forced an eleven year old witness to say that the other child had fired against them, yes?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I was going to mention Sochi. That was the first time I have ever noticed a lack of orginzation and money. They didn't have hotels completed, the venue's seemed cheap.

There are going to be problems at Rio. I think they just asked for emergency funds if I'm not mistaken.

Oh, plenty of money went to Sochi.

Just not towards infrastructure.

Madness

Don't get me wrong India did the commonwealth games in 2010 and we were a mess too I just meant it as when it comes to these international events countries pull thru even at a bad cost to their economies at times

The Commonwealth games which had a fraction of the viewership or prestige and yet cost more than $4 billion US to run. Countries aren't pulling through. Unlike China, Greece has struggled with the the debt and dilapidation of their games. It is even worse for Brazil because they are coming off of the World Cup which built a ton of stadiums and buildings that are barely used.

Tokyo will be much better because Japan has better economic sense but the ballooning cost of the Olympics games should be looked at. Atlanta 1996 only cost 2 billionish. Even something like the London 2012 games which weren't that great, average spectacle cost almost 9 billion pounds.

Amalthea

Banned
One day the games will take place on the sun and somebody will just say: "Oh, I'm sure they will pull through in the last minute and do a fancy opening show and everybody will forget the billion degrees heath!"

hunchback

Oh, plenty of money went to Sochi.

Just not towards infrastructure.

Yep, that's what I meant but didn't emphasize well.

I think one issue is the fact Brazil just did the World Cup. I know that cost them a fortune to host.

I think the countries that participate should vote on a permanent location for the Summer Olympics. The facilities could be used year round for other event's. And the upkeep costs could be split between the participating countries. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Yep, that's what I meant but didn't emphasize well.

I think one issue is the fact Brazil just did the World Cup. I know that cost them a fortune to host.

I think the countries that participate should vote on a permanent location for the Summer Olympics. The facilities could be used year round for other event's. And the upkeep costs could be split between the participating countries. It would be cheaper in the long run.

Unlikely. Whichever country keeps the location would always have an advantage, and too many countries rely on commonwealth games and Olympics to justify major overhauls in local infrastructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom