• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA cancels free-to-play Command & Conquer due to quality, closes development studio

Blablurn

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play," reads a statement posted to the game's website. "That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it's about getting you the game you expect and deserve."

The game, simply titled Command & Conquer, was originally announced at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards as Command & Conquer Generals 2. It was later rebranded as a free-to-play, Frostbite engine-powered real-time strategy game and positioned as a service that would add episodic content, new factions and a single-player campaign.

"We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible," reads a statement. "To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support."

Polygon has reached out to Electronic Arts for further comment and confirmation of the closure of its Victory Games studio.

Developing...

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/29/5043244/ea-cancels-free-to-play-command-and-conquer

Update: Definitely disbanded:

Electronic Arts has canceled its in-development free-to-play Command & Conquer game, according to a statement posted to the game's official website today, and disbanded the development team at Los Angeles-based Victory Games.

"The team at Victory Games will be disbanded," an Electronic Arts spokesperson confirmed to Polygon. "Wherever possible, we are working to help these talented people find other opportunities within EA."

There are no words.

http://kotaku.com/ea-cancels-comman...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

Generals,

Thank you for your participation over the last few months in the Command & Conquer closed alpha test. It’s been much appreciated, and you’ve been instrumental in helping define what a new Command & Conquer experience should and shouldn’t be.

Part of being in a creative team is the understanding that not all of your choices are going to work out. In this case, we shifted the game away from campaign mode and built an economy-based, multiplayer experience. Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play. That is why, after much difficult deliberation, we have decided to cease production of this version of the game. Although we deeply respect the great work done by our talented team, ultimately it’s about getting you the game you expect and deserve.

Over the next 10 days we will be refunding any and all money spent in the alpha. If you have a question about your refund, please contact help.ea.com.

We believe that Command & Conquer is a powerful franchise with huge potential and a great history, and we are determined to get the best game made as soon as possible. To that end, we have already begun looking at a number of alternatives to get the game back on track. We look forward to sharing more news about the franchise as it develops. Thank you again for your participation and support.

- Victory Studios

isual

saw that coming

Now that it's official, I did play the alpha in a focus group a month ago.

Game was horrendous.

Salsa

yeah, was waiting on this

"Your feedback from the alpha trial is clear: We are not making the game you want to play," a rep for developer Victory Games wrote in a blog post published this afternoon.

that's kinda sad

PnCIa

What? What?
When they made it a FTP title i lost interest, but some of the recent footage made it look kind of interesting. Of course the whole FTP thing was pure shit...but i didn´t hear anything incredibly negative about the title.

Mesoian

Huh.

Well, I guess that's really it for Command and Conquer huh?

I hope everyone from the studio lands on their feet.

I'm fucking livid about this. Its an absolute crime that a series as fantastic and as historically important to gaming as C&C is being allowed to slowly but surely die out for good. A talented and determined small gaming company needs to wrestle it out of EAs mits and create the game it deserves.

Syf

Banned
Huh.

Well, I guess that's really it for Command and Conquer huh?

I hope everyone from the studio lands on their feet.
Well it does say that they're looking to get the game back on track. I don't think this is the end of C&C.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I was looking forward to playing something in the spirit of Generals even if it was only vaguely related to the previous games.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
EA cancels free-to-play...

GOOD

...Command & Conquer...

BAD

closes development studio

TERRIBLE!

NyMartin

Banned
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm a huge generals fan I was devastated after hearing it was free to play, but I'll take a F2P game over no game anyday.

Red_Alert_2_Yuri.jpg

What can i say? Dickheads!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Surely they will repackage the assets from this game in a retail game, this is EA we are talking about.

Guy Legend

Holy crap....cancelled this far into development?

Die hard C&C fan here. I was not convinced of this free to play model.

Horrible for the people when have lost their jobs. Though I never saw any demand for a F2P C&C title. I would have preferred EA to use the assets to create a new RA title.

Deadstar

A free to play Command and Conquer sounds ridiculous. I played the alpha and it felt like a flash game. Command and Conquer deserves so much better.

Tablo

I'm pretty sad that we're not getting a new CnC game, but then again from what I was seeing it did not look fun, too gimmicky with powers and the proportions for units was odd. I hope the team makes it out okay, but they need to really look at Kane's Wrath and build on that as a core, and just expand the scope of that game.

Abounder

Banned
One of my favorite franchises. I didn't play the beta but it isn't CnC without:

Cheesey acting with real actors and skimpy non-actors
Hell March (okay this is more for Red Alert)
Base building
Crazy tactics and tech like engineers and superweapons

It used to rival Starcraft, Age of Empires, Total Annhiliation, etc. please come back

Lautaro

"We closed a studio and we are blaming the fans".

I won't miss the idea of a FTP C&C but why close the studio?, you could just told them to make a full game with the same assets.

Liha

Banned
but F2P is the future! Well I'm glad the game was a disgrace for the C&C franchise.

I hope they will find new and much better jobs.

Top Bottom