• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer On Gears of War's Future.

Silky

Banned
http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/...351?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Podcast here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/30/podcast-unlocked-episode-119-phil-spencer-interview

"I think that franchise would need to be… not be reworked but think about how to expand that universe and what people are doing. Maybe make it more gritty, I don't know. You'd want to do something with it, because I think it ran its course on 360. And it was a great success on the 360, but it doesn't quite have the story arc of a thing like Halo or something, at least the way it's played out in the games."

Honestly? The Gears franchise is in a sweet spot to end quietly and successfully. Don't ruin a great trilogy with more Pendulum Wars bs or, even worse, a continuation of the canon Storyline.

If they WERE to do another Gears game: it should be about The Stranded.

DOM if Old.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Gears of War is one of this generation's defining games. Such a powerful achievement at the times of its release.

Hindle

Banned
We won't be seeing the series for a very long time. I actually think theres a chance Gears will skip this generation.

I really really hope it's possible Gears goes multi platform, but Spencer here makes it seems like he (microsoft) is in control. Idk, regardless, I'd have the borrow my brother's xbox one for this. Hope they do make a true Gears 4.

Reboot in an arctic setting with just a handful of COG and extremely limited resources.

Evolved enemy types that are suited to their environment and BAM! You've got a great game and reboot...

Katori

More gritty? I'm a Gears fan, and I think the games are pretty damn gritty...

Just please no more prequels. PCF is a great dev but that game's multiplayer was handled terribly. I'd love to see an HD collection (1080p60) on X1, hell, I'd buy Gears 1-2 and 3-J separately if they wanted to do it that way. Those games would all look brilliant in 1080p60.

Toki767

I'm sure another one is already being made or in the process of being made. It's too popular an IP to not come out with games for it. Whether they be good or not.

graboids

I like all 4 Gears games and would like another one on Xbone... or go ahead and say Bulletstorm and Gears happen in the same universe and give me a cross-over game...

I think we won't see Gears until 2015 or 2016. Right now we have Halo 5 for 2014 and Black Tusk will probably be the big title for 2015, and then they can bring it back from the dark in 16' and perhaps make people genuinely excited about it.

After Judgement I don't know how much faith I have left in this franchise. And that's a shame because Gears was one of the most defining games of this generation. Hell, Gears (and Mass Effect) is what made me get a 360.

I guess we'll just have to see.

I'd consider Gears 1 more gritty than than its sequels, so sure I guess.

Just give me a next gen Gears on tune with Gears 1 with destructible environments, larger areas, better AI and drop dead UE4 visuals please.

Silky

Banned
I like all 4 Gears games and would like another one on Xbone... or go ahead and say Bulletstorm and Gears happen in the same universe and give me a cross-over game...

Considering Bulletstorm is about Space Pirates, and Sera is a planet, it's possible...

I want a Bulletstorm 2 before I see a Gears x Bulletstorm crossover.

Or better yet? Bulletstorm/Serious Sam/Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior super crossover.

I want another Gears. Gears of War 3's multiplayer was excellent.

YES. The best feature imo, was being able to couch split screen the multiplayer on any gametype. I think I'm getting COD instead of KZSF for this reason alone here in a couple weeks, although I want KZ so badly.

RulkezX

Doesn't Epic have some Destiny style always online shooter hybrid in the works ?

I doubt we are getting another Gears for a while , it's a franchise synonymous with 360 , I'd be happy if they left it.

Gritty sounds good. Add more horror elements like the first game and I'm sold.

Who am I kidding? I'll get it even if it's crap, because... GEARS!!!

The problem with Judgement is that it didn't go far enough in shaking up the tired formula.

And it was a prequel. How many people actually like prequels?

Gears will return, sooner than most people think I would imagine. Although I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the future we see MS open a new studio ala 343 to focus solely on the Gears franchise.

I believe People Can Fly are working on a Gears game right now. We'll probably see it at E3 next year, with a late 2015 release date.

Sounds like a reboot incoming, although I'm not huge on the "gritty" word. Already felt the series was had plenty of that, with guys like Cole/Baird as comedy relief so it never took itself TOO seriously.

Gears of War 1 was the first game I played on 360, and it was the first time shit felt like "next-gen", and it had rock-solid game mechanics. Gears of War 3 was one of my favorite games of the generation, I think my friends and I played that shit every weekend. Judgment was just...yeah, wasn't a fan of that direction. The multiplayer changes were ultimately for the worse IMO, and I'm not alone if the dying population and really lacking sales are anything to go by.

Curious to see what happens to this series in the future. It's kinda been usurped by CoD and Halo as the 360's go-to shooters, but I do think its a great franchise with some really solid game mechanics and fun characters, hate to see it disappear.

Gears will come. I think we got two or three years before we see it, though.

I just wonder how they'd continue the series. Hopefully they can make one as good as Gears of War 3.

Subxero

I figured they could go the colonizing a new planet route. So they keep the gameplay and could really go anywhere with it without having to reboot it. Either with new characters or one or two of the originals.

I really like the franchise.

I believe People Can Fly are working on a Gears game right now. We'll probably see it at E3 next year, with a late 2015 release date.

Wouldn't that clash with whatever Black Tusk is making? Unless of course that game is coming in spring 15' and Gears is fall 15'

highrider

Banned
Honestly, just ape the original gears of war campaign. It had some survival horror to it, and maybe a few big set pieces. I still replay the original gears. It was fun.

Ape the original gears multi-player. 4 on 4 was the sweet spot, and just polish the net code and push the best visuals possible all around. I would be completely happy with that.

graboids

Considering Bulletstorm is about Space Pirates, and Sera is a planet, it's possible...

I want a Bulletstorm 2 before I see a Gears x Bulletstorm crossover.

Or better yet? Bulletstorm/Serious Sam/Duke Nukem/Shadow Warrior super crossover.

maybe after the War with the Locust the Gears become Space Pirates and meet up with Bulletstorm Guy.....

Tulerian

The very fact he mentioned it, and not Epic, means money has changed hands and it will be exclusive again.

They are desperately trying to dig themselves out of a very big hole at the moment, with a golden shovel.

Wouldn't that clash with whatever Black Tusk is making? Unless of course that game is coming in spring 15' and Gears is fall 15'

At this point it's hard to know what's coming when, so we'll see. My late 2015 date is just a quick estimate of how long I think it might take them to make a new game on XB1.

Regardless, I think PCF are going to the Gears team this generation for EPIC.

Top Bottom