• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer On Gears of War's Future.

Epic is already working on Sunset Overdrive and seem to be looking at new IPs. Meanwhile they left Gears in the (clearly) incapable hands of PCF who ruined the series with Judgment. As long as this franchise remains with PCF's development team it will be awful. I can't believe they killed my favorite IP of this gen

Sunset Overdrive is Insomniac.

Edit: Beaten.

PCF didn't ruin anything, it was a game built in 18 months? I don't have an exact figure for that, clearly a lower budget than something like even Gears 3.
The changes PCF made to the controls were great, it was the best looking of the 3, great new weapons. They need to be given the 3 years that Gears 3 had, then we can see what they can do with it.

Insomniac Games is doing Sunset Overdrive.

Good call, my bad. I got it confused with that weird fort building game that Epic was working on before. The art styles were similar I think.

EIther way, as long as PCF are in charge of the series it's basically done. They did great things (I thought) with Bulletstorm but the changes they made in Judgment stripped the franchise of its identity and just became another generic TPS. WIthout Rod and Cliff I don't even think current Epic could replicate the greatness of Gears 3.

Sunset Overdrive is Insomniac.

Edit: Beaten.

PCF didn't ruin anything, it was a game built in 18 months? I don't have an exact figure for that, clearly a lower budget than something like even Gears 3.
The changes PCF made to the controls were great, it was the best looking of the 3, great new weapons. They need to be given the 3 years that Gears 3 had, then we can see what they can do with it.

Couldn't disagree more with all of this.

Full disclosure, I didn't play the campaign though. I heard it was actually pretty good and plan on giving it a shot. It's the multiplayer that was ruined and that's what gave Gears its lasting power.

PCF did indeed fuck up the multiplayer from what I've heard. Didn't they choose not to include Horde? That's a major reason why I didn't even bother picking Judgement up after buying every other game in the series.

Couldn't disagree more with all of this.

Full disclosure, I didn't play the campaign though. I heard it was actually pretty good and plan on giving it a shot. It's the multiplayer that was ruined and that's what gave Gears its lasting power.

I enjoyed the multiplayer but went back to Gears 3 so I see your point but if you didn't play the campaign then perhaps we're discussing two different things. I spent ages on it, I loved it.

Did you really not like the changes to the controls? I wish they all had them.

-PXG-

Reboot, retool, remake and fix Gears 1. Forget new story arcs, characters and lame ass mechanics that no one wants. The CoD and Uncharted fans really need to sit the fuck down. Dont ruin our Gears with bullshit. Epic needs to stop catering to those who will never buy the game or those who will only keep it for two weeks.

All real Gears fans want a true, stable, butter smooth version of Gears 1. No host advantage, bugs, glitches or janky cover. No stupidly strong long range or power weapons. Return to the close quarters, up close and personal combat. The dark, gloomy gritty, atmospheric art needs to come back too. The soft, bright colorful stuff is nice, but doesn't fit Gears at all. No huge maps either. Just.... everything that made Gears 1 great and unique, just not broken.

That's all we want. Please.

Reboot, retool, remake and fix Gears 1. Forget new story arcs, characters and lame ass mechanics that no one wants. The CoD and Uncharted fans really need to sit the fuck down. Dont ruin our Gears with bullshit. Epic needs to stop catering to those who will never buy the game or those who will only keep it for two weeks.

All real Gears fans want a true, stable, butter smooth version of Gears 1. No host advantage, bugs, glitches or janky cover. No stupidly strong long range or power weapons. Return to the close quarters, up close and personal combat. The dark, gloomy gritty, atmospheric art needs to come back too. The soft, bright colorful stuff is nice, but doesn't fit Gears at all. No huge maps either. Just.... everything that made Gears 1 great and unique, just not broken.

I would like to see what a Gears game would be like with 10 player Horde mode on huge maps and much bigger teams playing each other, could be incredible.

Not to say what you've said is wrong, but i'd love to see it go bigger too.

Addnan

PCF did indeed fuck up the multiplayer from what I've heard. Didn't they choose not to include Horde? That's a major reason why I didn't even bother picking Judgement up after buying every other game in the series.

No horde and the multiplayer maps were all geared towards FFA, the online mechanics at launch were all for FFA. Not sure if it has changed since.

-PXG-

I would like to see what a Gears game would be like with 10 player Horde mode on huge maps and much bigger teams playing each other, could be incredible.

Not to say what you've said is wrong, but i'd love to see it go bigger too.

A sepearte mode and pool of maps for Horde and Beast is fine. Just don't fuck with competitive stuff.

Bigger isn't always better. Battlefield, MAG and Resistance 2 are clusterfucks. Just too much going on and no sense of knowing what is happening.

Edit

I played Gears 1 last night. That game is from 2006 and it still looks damn good. This is coming from someone who has been playing PC games in 1080p, 60 fps and shit loads of AA for two straight years. Gears 1 aged really well. It's still a beast, visually for a console game.

They should go back to the more spooky atmosphere the first game had pre release. Instead they went to the complete opposite direction making the humans fighting locusts a mundane thing...

There's even a video of one scenario that did make into the final game but it was completely changed in tone... I want that!

I enjoyed the multiplayer but went back to Gears 3 so I see your point but if you didn't play the campaign then perhaps we're discussing two different things. I spent ages on it, I loved it.

Did you really not like the changes to the controls? I wish they all had them.

I felt moving in and out of cover felt clunkier and not nearly as crisp as in Gears 3. Other than that the controls were ok but still felt off to me somehow. Almost floatier, like my character wasn't actually hitting the ground. I don't know how to explain it other than the "weight" just didn't feel there.

Otherwise my biggest complaints came from the other changes they made. The removal of the active reload damage boost basically took out one of the best risk/reward systems in the game and dumbed down strategy in shotgun battles. The ability to roll off fucking buildings? lol what? I mean it's bad enough they added this but the janky animation of it sure as hell didn't help. And not being able to fight the Locusts is unforgivable.

Those are just what popped in my head, I'm sure if I played the multi again I'd be able to add to the list exponentially. Just didn't seem like Gears to me anymore. I will definitely check out the campaign though. I heard a lot of good things about it.

You're thinking Fortnite.

Nice, that's what it was. Thanks.

RayMaker

Banned
With all these fancy next gen graphics from crytec with ryse .

It would be nice for epic to come along and show why they are still on top in the graphics world.

I wouldn't mind a next gen gears reboot to do this, but I think to many changes would need to be made to make the series feel fresh, which would stray to far from the gears formula.

I think its time for epic to do a new I.P for this generation where they can broaden the genre and not have there game so ''dude bro'' and musclebound, The shooting mechanics will still be top notch and evolutionary, but I think epic want to go broader in terms of the gameplay and franchise appeal. I think they will take pages from GTA, uncharted,half life 2,bioshock infinite etc.

Have there game not being so lineier, and have there main chracter and story be more broader rather then the ''JACK UP THE TESTOSTERONE AND BLOW SHIT UP'' that gears was.

I dont know what it would turn out to be but the Samaritan and infiltrator demos could turn into a really cool games.

Crawl

What the hell is EPIC doing these days anyways? No games since gears (3) since PCF did judgment. What is epic working on aside from fortnite any leaks or hints or anything?

Epic one of my most favorite devs from the unreal days has become so malaise and boring now..

What the hell is EPIC doing these days anyways? No games since gears (3) since PCF did judgment. What is epic working on aside from fortnite any leaks or hints or anything?

Epic one of my most favorite devs from the unreal days has become so malaise and boring now..

Making tech demos to sell their engine or making games that serve as tech demos to sell their engine.

Frodo

Maybe make it more gritty, I don't know.

DgKlu7x.gif

You get trapped in a giant predatory worm which you have to escape by sawing through its internal organs with your rifle which has a chainsaw attached to it. I'm at a loss as to how much grittier the turd of a series can get.

abadguy

Banned
Series is done without CliffyB. Judgement proved that.

Still haven't played it. Was it really that bad? My brother in law is a Gears fanatic and he didn't even care too much for it.

I wouldn't mind a compilation of the first 3 with all the next gen bells and whistles for the X1.

Gears 2 and 3 are better than the original, so no.

Marleyman

Banned
You get trapped in a giant predatory worm which you have to escape by sawing through its internal organs with your rifle which has a chainsaw attached to it. I'm at a loss as to how much grittier the turd of a series can get.

I was with you until "turd of a series."

Sigmaah

They better make the online experience flawless if they're gonna make a new game. That's why ppl have abandoned judgment, garbage gameplay that doesn't even work...

"Maybe make it more gritty... I don't know."

Please don't.
How? I mean, they could maybe make the characters look less cartoony but that's about all I can see them doing.

I bought every Gears day one but skipped Judement. I don't fall for the cheap, dying console so let's squeeze one last drop out of this thing, cash ins. Seems like that game should have came out for $30 or something, but I haven't played it so I can't say that with confidence.

If the next Gears lands on PS4, I will most likley be back to day one pick ups for the franchise.

Grisby

Those grits.

I wouldn't mind another gears in say, 2 years or something. Would need to have gears 3 mp system.

Bet you it would be stunning.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Time to put the series to bed IMO. It had a good run, Gears 1 is one of my favorite games of this gen, but I really don't need to learn more about the world or lore or characters, at least not the way Epic writes it. Time to work on something new.

I'll probably buy Judgment for $9.99 at some point just because PCF made the best SP FPS of the generation.

Coen

Does Microsoft have a say in this at all? Or is Epic calling the shots on a possible sequel?

I'd rather Unreal Tournament got a sequel to be honest. It's time for a triumphant return!

Leflus

GOW Judgement didn't sell.
Fourth game on the same console
Less robust multiplayer (they should have included the Gears 3 mp, ODST-style)
Lower production values than Gears 1-3
Non-numbered entry in the franchise
Released during in the first half of the year
Less marketing

Judgment is a poor indicator of the health of the franchise.

Mugatu

Re-working the franchise is what ruined it.

No offense to Phil but if I am a fan of a game (or any other art form), I want to hear about it from developers or writers, not from a corporate executive talking about its financials.

Apdiddy

I think what would help the Gears franchise is to take a page out of two franchises: Resident Evil and Infamous. With the next-gen Infamous, there's a new protagonist and new setting with the game -- the same could work with Gears. With Resident Evil, their fourth iternation was completely different and went in a different direction than its previous outings.

But keep the gameplay the same and keep some of the series tropes the same.

Mambo Maniac

Neo Member
Gears did run it's course, but they could start a new story line, or do stuff in it's world.

If Nothing else,make a Unreal Tournament multiplayer only game out of it and make it FTP or cheaper than a retail game and it would do well. MS should have done the same thing with Halo for XB1 Launch, even if was a ported version of the Multiplayer in Halo 4.

I think Epic is working on a new Unreal and mark Rein has said very nice things about PS4 and not so much about Xbox One. I think Epic is not making a MS exclusive game this time around.

statham

Something happened when they got bought out and alot of big names left. They have to be working on more the fortnight and the engine. cliffyB?

malfcn

They finally fixed the cover levels..and that's it? That was one of the best parts of Judgment, not getting caught trying to roll off the edge/ledge of something and getting stuck in the air.

Raide

Gears of War Battlefield.

COG's Vs Locust. Player Rank up and can be bigger and more badass (or stay a Ticker for all eternity). Huge fantasy maps instead of real world maps shown off in the BF series. Throw in amazing vehicles and crazy carnage.

Top Bottom