• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mai Waifu ~dere dere~: An exploration of waifus from all corners of the earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about how ugly Orchid was just a second ago, and it kinda reminded me of my appreciation for female characters with pretty faces. Some of my favorites are from Platinum (Bayo included) but I was thinking more of Sasha (because I really like doll faces), and Mathilda (because she's my main in Anarchy). I also liked the Rin sisters as well, hell I thought all the female designs were pretty awesome in that game. So filled with character.

sasha_ivanoff_by_leodheme-d53o2kd.jpg

One of the things I liked most about DOA5 was the visual overhaul, the characters didn't look plastic anymore and actually had a somewhat vibrant beauty of their own. I could ACTUALLY enjoy Kasumi's design for once.

But Kokoro will always be the best. The ponytail is just OP.

You also gotta admit, Lara does look good.

It's really subtle but it's very noticeable about how Peach has improved visually.
I was gonna limit the discussion to faces, but I'm welcome to overall design as well. Even from both genders (Yo post some of dat Ayami Kojima art).

It's not a discussion or debate about tropes and sexism discussion aren't really welcomed. It's a pure discussion about character models you think are pretty, as well as developers that you think are skilled at making them.

Let's see some pretty faces.

EDIT: Due to title change, post your favorite: "Waifu" and and tell us why you enjoy the design and character!

EDIT: SERIOUSLY, NO FAN ART POSTS. Don't shit up the thread with that.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I, on the other hand, want to see ugly characters in games for once. Not ugly as in "ugly rendered" but made ugly in concept. I'm tired of pretty boys/girls saving the world for the nth time.

I saw this thread title and thought "I wonder if this is because of Orchid's reveal..." lol

I guess there's only a few of us that think she looks good. Ah well. Eye of the beholder and all that.

I, on the other hand, want to see ugly characters in games for once. Not ugly as in "ugly rendered" but made ugly in concept. I'm tired of pretty boys/girls saving the world for the nth time.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm a big fan of Majin and The Forsaken Kingdom. (although I don't think they're ugly)

I saw this thread title and thought "I wonder if this is because of Orchid's reveal..." lol

I guess there's only a few of us that think she looks good. Ah well. Eye of the beholder and all that.

Hell yeah, it is, but I'm glad some people like the design, in that recent picture they uploaded of her, she looks really good but its not in-game.

Sadhira looks good to me tho. I'm not a big fan of dark and edgy female characters, but Sadhira actually pulls it off in a way I like it.

Village

It's not a discussion or debate about tropes and sexism discussion aren't really welcomed. It's a pure discussion about character models you think are pretty, as well as developers that you think are skilled at making them.

Let's see some pretty faces.

Yo, I like you homie, but sexism and tropes, even racism in many cases, in this cicusmstance are inherently apart of this discussion. Something you gotta consider before making threads dude.You gotta be ready for it.

And you gonna make a pretty face thread with no namura, for shame!

dw8_wang_yi_01_thumb.jpg

Wang Yi from Dynasty Warriors is probably the most attractive video game characters I've ever seen. Maybe it's because she looks like she might actually exist and not like some complete fantasy.

Bloody Roar had some interesting representation. One of the fighters was a heavy built middle-aged woman and the final boss was trans.

The sequels dropped these characters though.

Yo, I like you homie, but sexism and tropes, even racism in many cases, in this cicusmstance are inherently apart of this discussion. Something you gotta consider before making threads dude.You gotta be ready for it.

And you gonna make a pretty face thread with no namura, for shame!

lol even so, this thread ain't about it. and Because I knew you guys got it covered!

Jabba

Banned
The girl from Bioshock Infinite.

How did they mess up Lisa in DOA?

@gogogow
Absolutely, not just her nose, it's like they enlarged her face or something.

KHlover

Banned
I'm not a big Tekken fan, but Lili is one of my favorite female characters from that game, she's just fucking awesome both design, personality, and fighting style.

She reminds me of Karin Kanzuki. I love rich girls.

I love the amount of customization in Tekken games. So much design freedom *_*. Loathe the combat though. Clunky and boring. (Dead or Alive fan representing!) TTT2 was the only fighting game at launch for the WiiU, if it weren't for the character customization I'd have already sold it on eBay :D

I actually think Christie is one of the two characters Team Ninja fucked up. She is still okay, not the worst offender, that would go to Lisa. Unfortunately Tecmo was only capable of fixing Hitomi.

Have you played the PSVita port of DOA5? They REALLY fucked up Leifang in it imo. She's lovely in any version of DOA...except DOA5+ :/
I'll just boot it up and make a few screenshots.

Serra

Triss from Witcher 2
Bayonetta
Sasha Ivanoff from Anarchy Reigns
Hannah from BF4 http://i1.minus.com/iZbHJa6kcdxDr.jpg
(screenshot credit to HolyFridge from the PC screenshots thread, didn't use img tags because its a big pic)

and lastly a pretty weird one, Major Sarah Parker from the original Ground Control. Her face was pretty expressive for a game that old.

gogogow

Have you played the PSVita port of DOA5? They REALLY fucked up Leifang in it imo. She's lovely in any version of DOA...except DOA5+ :/
I'll just boot it up and make a few screenshots.

I already have the DOA5 CE, not gonna double dip, though I did play the Vita demo. Hmmm...why would they change her face? Seems unnecessary and a waste of time if she actually ends up worse. I agree, Lei Fang has always been solid, no matter which version. But please post some screenshots.

I loved Nariko's concept art because she was so beautiful, it's one of the biggest tragedies about this game. Becasue in game she's not as amazing as she is in the art or elegant.
I love the amount of customization in Tekken games. So much design freedom *_*. Loathe the combat though. Clunky and boring. (Dead or Alive fan representing!) TTT2 was the only fighting game at launch for the WiiU, if it weren't for the character customization I'd have already sold it on eBay :D
Are we related? lmao That is exactly how I feel. I understand Tekken and how to play it, but I really don't enjoy it.
I definitely agree with you there. I absolutely love her look. I'm glad they took the mask off her face. It did wonders for her.
Indeed.

------------------------------

Two Posts from a friend who doesn't have an account.

KHlover

Banned
I already have the DOA5 CE, not gonna double dip, though I did play the Vita demo. Hmmm...why would they change her face? Seems unnecessary and a waste of time if she actually ends up worse. I agree, Lei Fang has always been solid, no matter which version. But please post some screenshots.

42142,20131101224249SZ5S3.jpg

Shoot another message if you need more screenshots.
Edit: I'll take at least 1 more with the same clothes and haircut for the best comparison

8270928204_a0d9857309_z.jpg

Tess for the Last of Us was really well done. Attractive but in a completely realistic, real world kind of way.

Elena was good in Uncharted 2, but they totally screwed her up in U3 and gave her that horrible post plastic surgery look.

kid.jpg

Trying to avoid this sliding into "ITT: Characters you'd bang"

Seriously, though, always like Kid's design--can't say much for the in-game blockiness but I loved the way she looked in all the CG scenes.

The girl from Bioshock Infinite.

How did they mess up Lisa in DOA?

I think Lisa's attractive but she lacks some kind of interesting appeal in the face area. It's weird. I think she needs more hairstyles. Probably Black > Brown hair would be better.
--------------------------

I never expected them to take Vi in a sexy direction (she always felt like a try-hard tough chick, don't get me started on her quotes) but when they did, she looks good.

On a side note, the new artist LOL has gotten has really done a lot of justice to the character redesigns.

wapplew

500px-The-last-of-us-ellie.jpg

I know it's so wrong and I feel so bad but I love Ellie.

ff12ashe21024768pk7.jpg

Ashe is a bit underrated too. Love her design

geebee

Banned
Oh man, we've already got DoA dolls and Nomura designs in here?

I vote Bayonetta's design in Bayonetta 2. Hair can make someone/character design look either better or worse.

This is actually one of the only two things I liked about this game. The other was Doom. I have an on and off thing when it comes to Morrigan, its kinda the same when it comes to Mai as well, eventually they feel overrated until you return to play with them and then you're suddenly falling in love again. Also her MVC3 model was amazing.

Are you kidding me?

orchidrenderfinaljpg-e9603c_960w.jpg
That was the img I was talking about when I actually complimented her. However in game..... nah.

One thing I love about old Jill was the combination of brown hair, blue eyes, and nice thick lips. Sounds a bit more seductive when spoken aloud than it should but it is what it is.

8270928204_a0d9857309_z.jpg

Tess for the Last of Us was really well done. Attractive but in a completely realistic, real world kind of way.

Elena was good in Uncharted 2, but they totally screwed her up in U3 and gave her that horrible post plastic surgery look.

All of this post is true.
In fact all the characters from uncharted 2 are things of beauty, but it wasn't just Elena in U3 the mucked up it was all of the characters.l, so Shiny!

Krammy

While not the ideal "Pretty Face", Heather Mason every single day of the week.

hFxwRBi.png

Silent Hill never fails to impress.

EDIT: Appropriate thread title change. Now my post is relevant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom