• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most people own a 720p HDTV, are they going to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

just some posts from me from February of THIS year, I'm sure things have changed since then but most own a 720p TV.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...SP&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&usc=abcat0100000
2 of the top 3 HDTV being sold by best buy are 720p in 40"-59" range
5 of the top 7 in 21"-39" range are 720p

as of feb 2013, most people were still buying 720p TVs. will this hurt next gen?

Meatfist

They can just upgrade to an Xbox One!

The average consumer most likely doesn't care when it comes to the resolution being output by their consoles, as long as it's an improvement over the previous generation

No. People buy what they find is the best value, and sometimes that means cutting back on some features.

Also, how would that hurt next gen?

FyreWulff

People tend to wait for their TVs to die before rebuying. And you'd be surprised how many people assume 1080p is the majority of HDTV's install base. 720p is the biggest market, has been for the entire HD era.

And no, 720p won't hurt next gen.

JackEtc

That's odd, I don't know many people with 720p TVs, mostly 1080p. Hell, even in my college dorm most of the student's TVs (including mine) are 1080p

Doombacon

"most people" are also not buying new consoles at launch.
"most people" are buying the cheapest TV available with the label HD

Schrade

I really don't think that most people only have 720p nowadays...

Would be great to see some sort of poll though.

I'm sure there's still plenty of people with 4:3 CRTs though.

beast786

That's odd, I don't know many people with 720p TVs, mostly 1080p. Hell, even in my college dorm most of the student's TVs (including mine) are 1080p

I didn't click OP article but many panels in business are 720p. My office recently picked up many cheap 720p.

But for home entertainment and as a main hub, no one I know bought a 720p in months

Hmm as of 2011, 1080p capable tvs (native of course) are selling more than any other standard resolution

http://www.twice.com/news/1080p-lcd-tvs-take-majority-market-share-0

021511-1080p.JPG

That was two years ago, this is based on a study done by quixel research

Portland, Ore. - The majority of the overall LCD TV unit shipments in 2010 featured 1080p HD resolution, according to a study released Monday by Quixel Research.

According to Quixel Research's LCD TV Market Review, the so-called FullHD sets topped sales both for the year and in the critical fourth-quarter sales period.

"The LCD TV 40-inch and larger models have led the flat-panel TV market in 1080p adoption for several years, but Q4 was the first time the overall market ceded to HD 1080p," said Quixel principal Tamaryn Pratt.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I can't speak for other people but I would assume that lots of people are not. "I" am. If I'm gonna be worrying about 1080p and resolutions for games, I at least want to reap the benefits.

Tarin02543

Still have a Panasonic 1024x548 plasma from 2007 with a wonderful image, will definitely not upgrade to a 1080p LED with all that 3D/internet/app bullshit.

BigDug13

Those kinds of TV's have been HEAVILY discounted since 1080p took over. So it's no surprise that the heavily discounted TV models are hot sellers.

Not sure of the overall relevance. I've been on the 1080p train since 2006.

I guess all those heavy discount 720p TV buyers will be in line for that $500 console, right?

I'm not surprized. People know HD / non-HD, I doubt the average consumer realizes there are multiple standards of HD. When they see the cheaper price, they go for it.

I own a 720p TV as well that I bought as a second TV for my office. I care less about having the best quality when it isn't my main TV. My real requirement was that I needed a TV w/ HDMI inputs that was cheap.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Awaiting better evidence for what people actually have still in their households today rather than just what's selling (if it exists).

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
just some posts from me from February of THIS year, I'm sure things have changed since then but most own a 720p TV.

as of feb 2013, most people were still buying 720p TVs. will this hurt next gen?

Your second is for 30-39. If you choose 40-49 or 50-59 they are almost all 1080. Very few people opt for ghetto 720p with larger than 40", at least not since 2009.

Divus

The vast majority if people don't know the difference between 720p and 1080p if they even know both exist. Ask 20 people that aren't under 25 which TV they own and I'd bet you money most will just say HD.

The majority of them will keep them until they die and them buy the cheapest possible TV in there price/size range.

I'm still using an 720p HDTV. Not sure if I'll upgrade.

Most 1080p TV's in the 32' range is high. Btw yes, $300-$500 is a lot for me so I have to commit to save up for it.

VillageBC

I have a 720p TV and it sucks, terrible terrible panel I picked up relatively early in the LCD phase just as larger panels became affordable. But it's a hard sell to convince me to upgrade it to 1080p with a good panel. I can see that new panels are better, I can tell my panels colour reproduction is shitty and blacks are crushed. But it gets the job done, and while I technically could afford to replace it. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, like $399 on a new console.

neither

The masses won't buy into next gen for some time, so it won't hurt.

The gamers buying into next gen consoles at launch probably have a 1080 p set.

But this is just my assumption.

Awaiting better evidence for what people actually have still in their households today rather than just what's selling (if it exists).

Basically the majority of tvs sold from 2011 and onwards are going to be 1080p capable as such that's the way the markets going.

knitoe

Going by Bestbuy site, top 15 bests sellers are:

20-29": 5/15 are 1080p
30-39": 8/15 are 1080p
40-49": 14/15 are 1080p
50-59": 14/15 are 1080p

Am I missing something? Under 29", 720p is fine.

BigDug13

Basically the majority of tvs sold from 2011 and onwards are going to be 1080p capable as such that's the way the markets going.

But surely an anecdotal study of what buyers recently were getting should be a trend that continues throughout the 7 years of this next gen, right? Especially as 4k TV's become the next tech push, I'm sure those 720p TV's will be well stocked on those shelves...

TVs are one of those things that people don't "upgrade". They "replace" when one breaks. People who bought in early during the 720p days (like I did, when 1080 were still pie in the sky high prices) still have perfectly good and functional sets. There's really NO motivation for me to replace it.

FyreWulff

I know im going to upgrade.

My panasonic viera 32" has run its course.
50" full hd is waiting for me.

You mean half-HD, unless that 50" is a 4K television.

TVs are one of those things that people don't "upgrade". They "replace" when one breaks. People who bought in early during the 720p days (like I did, when 1080 were still pie in the sky high prices) still have perfectly good and functional sets. There's really NO motivation for me to replace it.

Because some people can't seem to understand their purchasing habits are different than the general public.

None of the TV networks master in anything higher than 1080i (yes, i) and ESPN still masters in 720p. And sports are one of the major if not main driver of HDTV sales.

BigDug13

None of the TV networks master in anything higher than 1080i (yes, i) and ESPN still masters in 720p. And sports are one of the major if not main driver of HDTV sales.

And what does that mean exactly? Can you break down how the scaler breaks down that 1080i image's odd and even line passes and produces a 1080p image? And what drawback there is specifically in that technique?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Uh, the first 720p on that best seller list for the 40"-59" range is 14th...

Two out of the top three of the 21"-39" range is 720p, but smaller tvs are usually secondary tvs that people are ok with buying budget for.

I want to upgrade my cheapo 50 inch Sanyo set. It is native 1080 LCD though. It used to had horrible overscan until I got into the menu and eliminated it. (along with calibrating it to look awesome). it does suffer from temporary burn in if the set is on a static image for 3-4 hours though.

As much as I am compelled to get another set I probably won't. I mainly use it as a giant computer monitor. Maybe I'll swap it out with the newer Samsung LED in the master bedroom. I doubt the girl would blink an eye.

Anteater

I don't think many would upgrade, if my 720p tv didn't break I would've continued to use it.

People will still see an improvement on performance, the image quality will be much better than current gen.

Dranakin

I actually just upgraded from my 720p plasma to 1080p LED/LCD this weekend. My coming PS4 was definitely one of the factors.

FeiRR

Banned
I don't care what "most people" have. I've been using a full HD display for the last 6 or 7 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom