• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Demo unit UI - Coverflow for games library?

FranXico

Saw this in @yosp's tweet feed.

BYbHtswCQAAt7ZN.jpg:large
(Good idea, SwiftDeath)

That screen looks a lot like a coverflow-esque UI. I personally like that kind of UI for navigating a library. Can anybody confirm this?

EDIT: maxcer0081 found a video in YouTube. It indeed appears to be meant for demo kiosks.

Kemal86

Interesting, but I wonder if it's just for demo kiosks.

I really like the Steam Grid UI with the icons a large size (and custom icons).

Doesn't look anything like the actual UI used on the Sony Store unit I messed with. Doesn't the Wii U look a lot like this one as well at retail?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
AFAIK, they have a special UI running on those units. You can't switch to retail/debug UI on them and pressing the PS button does nothing.

yes played a demo kiosk kast night in GAME lock in and it dies look like that. you can navigate using track pad and there was 3 tiers. one was about the ps4 featuees. 2nd was retail games and third was psn games

ckohler

There's video online of the kiosk booting directly into this.

Pretty sure this is just a custom UI for the demo kiosks.

I would prefer a grid of icons. That would work better with consoles. I hate on Roku channels where you have to scroll right or left one at a time. Do like a rows of 6 and it would be good.

I can't imagine having to go through my Steam list of games scrolling down one by one, with a gamepad.

Nice.. though I would prefer something like a grid XMB
Just bring back that XMB. It was soooo good. It kind of got crummed up when Sony started adding all of those "additional services" without the option to delete them or hide them somewhere. Even with that said, it kills Microsofts Xbox 360 offerings. Since the blades,I have kind of not been a fan.

I am not the biggest fanof these big "coverflow" type of presentations. They are made for flash of actual substance.

Killthee

I'll be happy if they stick with this for the game library and keep the ability to view all items on the grid including items purchased but not currently installed:

vkBIiAb.jpg

Cartman86

Banned
I'll be happy if they stick with this for the game library and keep the ability to view all items on the grid including items purchased but not currently installed:

vkBIiAb.jpg

I will be very sad if I have to go through a download list to see uninstalled content.

Killthee

I will be very sad if I have to go through a download list to see uninstalled content.
Me too and I'm starting to get worried that the Library icon is only for media after seeing this:

3yjLzpc.png

and the PS4 Download icon in an offline devkit loading the wallpaper of the current PS Store download list:

2013-11-0117_07_5858j41.gif

FranXico

Me too and I'm starting to get worried that the Library icon is only for media after seeing this:

3yjLzpc.png

Considering how little we have seen about media features, and the recent bad news about DLNA + MP3, I really would feel relieved if at least some of the media functionality actually gets some highlighting in the UI.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Coverflow is the absolute worst and inefficient way to display media. I don't want anything even remotely similar in retail UI.

They need to make the PSN store look like video game store, capturing the excitment every time you walk in hoping there's something new and cool to buy.

Top Bottom